• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Grob planted on airfield

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
Today was the day Cosford saw what can only be described as a crash on the airfield. Picture the scene, a little UBAS grob doing the rounds in the circuit. Can only assume a new pilot was at the helm. Third attampt at landing ended in disaster and one poorly grob. The poor thing ended up on the grass with a broken leg (nose) and a slightly damaged prop.

On the bright side nobody was hurt, apart from a little pride, and the little crop duster may get to fly another day.

Now with all the testing they do from air tragic of the station crash alarm, it never even went off. What's the fecking point of having it if you don't use it when you have a chance?

Oh and if I get some piccys I may just ahve to post them, but at a later date.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Other incidents

Other incidents

Marham had a state two today.

For a civvy Microlight with an oil caption.

He landed and was met by the friendly firemen.

Ops wondered if he needed towing!!:pDT_Xtremez_19:

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
Possibly not quite as spectacular as ours (that being a state one and all that), the prop marks on the runway were a joy to behold. It's nice to have a bit of excitement for a change though.

Must have been a nice change for yourselves the state two not being hot brakes..........

Last edited:

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
Possibly not quite as spectacular as ours (that being a state one and all that), the prop marks on the runway were a joy to behold. It's nice to have a bit of excitement for a change though.

Must have been a nice change for yourselves the state two not being hot brakes..........

Or cable engagements.

P

pie sandwich

When I was at Wittering We had a Navy T4 crash on the air field almost in front of the tower and the alarm never went off either

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
When I was at Wittering We had a Navy T4 crash on the air field almost in front of the tower and the alarm never went off either

Would this be the one that was caused by catastrophic blade failure Pie? Shortly afterwards they redesigned all Pegasus comp blades didn't they?

Off Topic Pedant mode the SHAR T-Bird was a T-8 not a T-4 :pDT_Xtremez_28:

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
At Lyneham one evening we were treated to the sight of a hot air baloon passing narrowly over the roof of our hangar. It staggered along a bit further with the 'pilot' desperatley pulling the gas burner thingy trying to get some height, and probably pretty damned embarassed that he'd encroached on a military airfield at very low altitude.
Anyway, he failed and the thing came down plumb in the centre of the airfield to a pretty unsympathetic reception commitee.

P

pie sandwich

Would this be the one that was caused by catastrophic blade failure Pie? Shortly afterwards they redesigned all Pegasus comp blades didn't they?

Ok T8 I was being shown around a T4 the other day down at boscome.

But yep it took out the control rods and the A/C started to roll as the crew banged out, killing the Navy's C.F.I. I was in HAMS at the time and did nt know anything had happened untill lunch time when I nipped into work

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
At Lyneham one evening we were treated to the sight of a hot air baloon passing narrowly over the roof of our hangar. It staggered along a bit further with the 'pilot' desperatley pulling the gas burner thingy trying to get some height, and probably pretty damned embarassed that he'd encroached on a military airfield at very low altitude.
Anyway, he failed and the thing came down plumb in the centre of the airfield to a pretty unsympathetic reception commitee.

In Air Law , the ballon has priority / right of way over EVERYTHING ELSE that flys. Even C-130s....:pDT_Xtremez_31: :pDT_Xtremez_31:

W

Wonky Tonka

Off Topic Super geek mode:

Harrier T4N and T8
The Royal Navy trainer was a modified RAF T4 and is designated T4N. It is recognizable by the absence of the laser nose, but it does have the RWRs. With the FA2s a new trainer version was developed. Externally the same as the T4N but with FA2 avionics, these were designated T8.

(http://www.scramble.nl/wiki/index.php?title=Hawker_Siddeley_Harrier#Harrier_T4N_and_T8)

...........I'll get my coat:pDT_Xtremez_35:

F

Former Albert Sooty

Now with all the testing they do from air tragic of the station crash alarm, it never even went off. What's the fecking point of having it if you don't use it when you have a chance?

Same sort of thing happened when I was at Leuchars in 98. Sleeping off nights upstairs in the VAS building and the tannoy crackles into life and the only thing transmited was 'EMERGENCY STATE 1', nothing else was heard, then silence. Panic ensued down stairs in VAS control as the crash team bolted of to the scene only to find a Bulldog lying crumpled on the grass with the crew rather shaken but unharmed still inside it.

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Oh the excitement of airfield crash duties. :S Oh how I miss that.:pDT_Xtremez_35:
Has anyone got any drying paint to watch?:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

I disagree, the alarm definately went off, we could hear it in the bomb dump. Seat fired the QFI down the runway as I recall. Very sad.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Off Topic Super geek mode:

Harrier T4N and T8
The Royal Navy trainer was a modified RAF T4 and is designated T4N. It is recognizable by the absence of the laser nose, but it does have the RWRs. With the FA2s a new trainer version was developed. Externally the same as the T4N but with FA2 avionics, these were designated T8.

(http://www.scramble.nl/wiki/index.php?title=Hawker_Siddeley_Harrier#Harrier_T4N_and_T8)

...........I'll get my coat:pDT_Xtremez_35:

So, after that post, am I right? Is it still a T-8? Thought so.

I

irishlogster

I think it was me that greeted the geezer. He was a bit scared as i had a SLR with me at the time and had a strong Irish accent on me... If that's the same incident ya on about mate.. :pDT_Xtremez_15:

Parky

Corporal
Was up at ISK when the State one was declared for the Nimbat that went swimming in the Moray Firth, Was on guard that day and can remember the guard commander contemplating a crash guard before the information came in that it was in the oggin.

S

shirley286

I was at a s*ithole Navy base in Cornwall in 2004 when a Merlin decided that it should impact the ground from 100 ft or so roll over and be a very big mess. No crash alarm, just a lot of people running round saying 'merlin's just crashed' and everyone running out to have a nosey...

Wheels Up!!

Wheels Up!!

Hope the youngster piloting the Grob is OK and suitably embarrased.

He is in good company though as in the early 90's the CO at Coningsby took a Tonka for an air test. Max reheat selected for take off but forgot to take the brakes off. 100 yards later the main wheels were ground down to a half moon shape.

OOP's should have followed SOP's:pDT_Xtremez_24:

skevans

Flight Sergeant
Don't forget that there can be up to three crash alarms on each station.

One for the crash crew and medics,

One for 'support services' ie the guardroom, MT, Ops etc

and the tannoy based crash alarm.

Given that the tannoy alarm is only ever tested when the ATC guys aren't doing anything else. It's not suprising that when a state 1 happens they don't use it.

Incidentally the T8 at Wittering was tannoyed. Having been interviewed by the BOI I am fairly conversant with the activities on the day. However the T10 at the other end of the runway the following April was only tannoyed to half the camp because the system was being serviced.#

The Pilot did indeed die in that T8 crash, and it may have been quick, but it certainly wasn't pleasant.