• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

God......... where is he ???

B

Bluntend

But go back to the basics and one has a code for life. And others may well respect you for it: It matter not where it came from.

That's all very well and good, until you look back to times and places before the arrival of Christianity and Christian missionaries. Many people described as 'savages' had a perfectly functional code for life, they had social cohesion, respected their elders, cared for their young etc. Granted, they went to war occasionally, but 2000 years of Christianity and the 'code for life' that is the bible hasn’t stopped us going to war either. Along with spreading the good news, missionaries also spread infectious and potentially deadly diseases. But, they were encouraging these savages to give up their heathen ways and turn to a new way, a good way, right? And how did they do this? By worshiping under a cross depicting one of the cruellest and most brutal instruments of torture devised by man and carrying out ritual ceremonies representing cannibalism and the eating of Christ’s body and the drinking of his blood. Remind me again, who were the savages?

W

Wing boy

That's all very well and good, until you look back to times and places before the arrival of Christianity and Christian missionaries. Many people described as 'savages' had a perfectly functional code for life, they had social cohesion, respected their elders, cared for their young etc. Granted, they went to war occasionally, but 2000 years of Christianity and the 'code for life' that is the bible hasn’t stopped us going to war either. Along with spreading the good news, missionaries also spread infectious and potentially deadly diseases. But, they were encouraging these savages to give up their heathen ways and turn to a new way, a good way, right? And how did they do this? By worshiping under a cross depicting one of the cruellest and most brutal instruments of torture devised by man and carrying out ritual ceremonies representing cannibalism and the eating of Christ’s body and the drinking of his blood. Remind me again, who were the savages?

As Bill Hicks once said. "why on earth do Christians wear Crucifixes? Do you really think that if and when Christ comes back the first thing he wants to see is a ****ing Crucifix?"

B

Bluntend

As Bill Hicks once said. "why on earth do Christians wear Crucifixes? Do you really think that if and when Christ comes back the first thing he wants to see is a ****ing Crucifix?"

Hey, I don't think he'll be coming back. His old man created the entire universe - there's got to be a better planet out there than this one for sure!?

Shugster

Warrant Officer
The thing that p1sses me off the most is how all the bad stuff like Dunblane, Hungerford, etc etc are all written off under the, "Mysterious ways", clause!

God loves you really!

Yeah right!:pDT_Xtremez_32:

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Religion!?!

Religion!?!

Religion is a funny thing.

Funny weird, not funny Ha Ha!

I think we have to believe in something, but is that something in complete control? God may have started it all (by kicking off the big bang) but is he now just an outside observer? Did he start an experiment and now all he can do is to watch what happens?

Or does he have a direct influence on what happens?

I still believe that something is out there and that you will find the answer when you die and move onto the next place (whether that is Heaven, Valhalla, Hell, Paradise). But as long as you treat others as you would wish to be treated then you'll get the best of what's on the other side.

Suppose I'd better stop being a B'stard then!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

HTB

Treehugger

Corporal
Resurrected... again!

Resurrected... again!

Well, it's an old thread this one, and it's already been resurrected once, but gotta have my tuppenceworth...

I think that whatever religion you follow (if you follow one at all), the fundamental message behind them all is that it's good to be good. Any religion is a code of conduct for good living, it's just a sad indictment on the human condition that we have used it as justification for such unspeakable horror throughout history.

Personally, I believe in God. Not a beardy bloke on a cloud, but in a higher being or power, and that He/It represents and stands for all that is good. I believe that someone called Jesus walked the Earth 2000 years ago or so, and tried to get people to live better in the name of this God.

In a world with so much evil and selfishness, where we so easily accept the suffering of others, it brings great comfort to so many to believe that life is not an end in itself. This is not a deficiency or weakness, it is a faith and a belief that it's not 'all for nothing'. Bad things still happen, as people have free will, and this would not be the case if God/Allah/Whoever intervened every time.

By the same token, I think that if you do not have a faith, this does not mean instant banishment from Heaven, or any other 'good place'. I believe that people are judged according to how they behaved towards others and in general, and that if you are fundamentally good, you're on the right track. Phew, think that about covers it!

Go in peace, and basically, be good to each other! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

A

Aces and Eights

Chubby Brown, whilst playing a Catholic Social Club, began his act by pointing at a crucifix on the wall with Jesus and saying "I see you caught the b*stard who nicked the video.
________
KISSING ADVICE FORUM

Last edited:

Treehugger

Corporal
:pDT_Xtremez_42: Well, they knew what they were getting when they booked him!

Would love to have been a fly on the wall if they didn't, however...

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Why is God always a "He"?

Surely there is a strong case to suggest that God is in fact a "She"???

A

Aces and Eights

Why is God always a "He"?

Surely there is a strong case to suggest that God is in fact a "She"???

And there is a stronger case to suggest that God is in fact a load of old bollox. Whatever next? The Tooth Fairy and the Stork who delivers babies?

There's more FACT in The Sun than in The Bible.
________
DATING ADVICE FORUMS

Last edited:

Treehugger

Corporal
And there is a stronger case to suggest that God is in fact a load of old bollox. Whatever next? The Tooth Fairy and the Stork who delivers babies?

There's more FACT in The Sun than in The Bible.

a) To each his own; but no smoke without fire and all that...

b) But not in the Star :raf:

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Well, it's an old thread this one, and it's already been resurrected once, but gotta have my tuppenceworth...

I think that whatever religion you follow (if you follow one at all), the fundamental message behind them all is that it's good to be good. Any religion is a code of conduct for good living, it's just a sad indictment on the human condition that we have used it as justification for such unspeakable horror throughout history.

Personally, I believe in God. Not a beardy bloke on a cloud, but in a higher being or power, and that He/It represents and stands for all that is good. I believe that someone called Jesus walked the Earth 2000 years ago or so, and tried to get people to live better in the name of this God.

In a world with so much evil and selfishness, where we so easily accept the suffering of others, it brings great comfort to so many to believe that life is not an end in itself. This is not a deficiency or weakness, it is a faith and a belief that it's not 'all for nothing'. Bad things still happen, as people have free will, and this would not be the case if God/Allah/Whoever intervened every time.

By the same token, I think that if you do not have a faith, this does not mean instant banishment from Heaven, or any other 'good place'. I believe that people are judged according to how they behaved towards others and in general, and that if you are fundamentally good, you're on the right track. Phew, think that about covers it!

Go in peace, and basically, be good to each other! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

How about starving children in drought regions then, are they to blame?

Treehugger

Corporal
"How about starving children in drought regions then, are they to blame?"

No. What I mean is, the whole fact that they are starving in a region of drought is because God has not intervened, because it is our job to do so. The situation exists because the rich nations of the world have not chosen to make it any other way.

Charity does a lot, and foreign aid money more so, but to end it completely would take a concerted effort on the part of everyone, from the rich Western governments all the way to the tin pot dictatorship which holds sway in that country.

eg, we have the free will to let it continue, or to stop it.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
"How about starving children in drought regions then, are they to blame?"

No. What I mean is, the whole fact that they are starving in a region of drought is because God has not intervened, because it is our job to do so. The situation exists because the rich nations of the world have not chosen to make it any other way.

Charity does a lot, and foreign aid money more so, but to end it completely would take a concerted effort on the part of everyone, from the rich Western governments all the way to the tin pot dictatorship which holds sway in that country.

eg, we have the free will to let it continue, or to stop it.

No we do not. To say the human race as a collective can sort the problem out is naive at best as we will never act as a collective, even if the race were faced with extinction IMO.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Is there any point to this thread? At the end of the day the existance of a Supreme Deity is down to what each individual believes in - the debate around whether "God" exists is as old as the hills, and no one is ever going to resolve it.

Personally, I am somewhat of an aetheist - but thats my personal viewpoint, and I have no more right to stand up and say my view is the correct one than someone of a religious persuasion has to tell me the Church is right. I dont believe religion is a code of conduct for good living; good living comes from knowing right from wrong and doing right by your friends, family and neighbours..

Treehugger

Corporal
"No we do not. To say the human race as a collective can sort the problem out is naive at best as we will never act as a collective, even if the race were faced with extinction IMO."

I know what you mean, but in theory, we do have the power to stop it. It is just a consequence of our human weakness that we cannot or will not work together in a way like this. I do not suggest for a second that we ever would. Naivete is not at work here, I am no 'hold hands around the world' utopian.

Treehugger

Corporal
Is there any point to this thread? At the end of the day the existance of a Supreme Deity is down to what each individual believes in - the debate around whether "God" exists is as old as the hills, and no one is ever going to resolve it.

Personally, I am somewhat of an aetheist - but thats my personal viewpoint, and I have no more right to stand up and say my view is the correct one than someone of a religious persuasion has to tell me the Church is right. I dont believe religion is a code of conduct for good living; good living comes from knowing right from wrong and doing right by your friends, family and neighbours..

I'll buy that. There's only one way any of us ever find out for definite anyway, and it's as sure as sure can be that we'll all know one day! :pDT_Xtremez_26:

Inevertouchedit

Flight Sergeant
There are over 2,400 Gods/Idols/deities/pixies in the sky, currently being worshipped in the World today. Which one are we talking about here??

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I rather like agnosticism.

It's a little like doing your own conveyancing, and being happier about pi$sing off the estate agents than about eventually selling the house.