• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gibson's Dog saved for posterity

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
It's in the paper therefore it's true.

617 slated to be saved as first JSF Squadron.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...usters-saved-from-axe-to-fly-new-fighter.html

Is it just a number? As worthy as other older battle honours, or is it just PR?

Sh!te research by the photo editor, The photo was taken when Gibson was the CO of 106 Sqn, and fellow 'Dambusters' Peter Ward-Hunt and John Searby never flew with 617 (they were Gibson's Flight Commanders on 106) Though Searby is quite famous as he was the Master Bomber on Operation Hydra (the Peenemünde raid in August 43).

briggfairy

Sergeant
and back on topic, it's one of the few sqn numbers that joe public may have heard of and can recall something that they did, sure when you dig deeper there may be other more worthy squadrons to continue however this is more of a pr move and imho the right thing to do

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
You can see my house in that pic.....just underneath the Tonka :)

Sent from my iPad 2 ....yes I doooo