• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Further service question.. can it be rescinded?

Hi all,

This is my first post on here... I’ll get around to the introductory post in a mo.

On to my question..

When I was promoted to Sgt back in 2013, I signed on for LOS30 for what I thought would be a great idea. I’m now 20 months away from my 22 year point and I’ve been offered a teaching scholarship to start in September 2020 with timed promotion onto the senior leadership team.

Without going into the gory details, is there any way I can rescind my LOS30 and go back to 22 years service to allow me to start resettlement now instead of waiting to ET in July 19?

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Why not give 18 months notice? That's the max ET period of notice so you can effectively leave at 22 year point and get resettlement.

Why not give 18 months notice? That's the max ET period of notice so you can effectively leave at 22 year point and get resettlement.

I’m planning on leaving at my 22 year point but as my JPAN has now expired I have been threatened with being posted away from where I am... away from family for the next 19 months whilst I wait my time out (this is a certainty).

I thought if I was in my final 2 years then I’d flag up on JPA and be fixed here.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I don’t think you can. You’ll just have to pvr.

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
They can just move you regardless - being in last 2 years doesn't mean no move from a Manning point of view, just no move if you want it. PVR and give them the date of your 22 as your exit date.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
ET and put your current Unit as your LToD? Although i have seen this accepted AND rejected by Manning.

Think it will have to be a grown up conversation with your CM, failing that (ask MWD!) get welfare involved.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
If you’ve not got a role in your current location then unless you’ve got a really serious compassionate reason, and I’m talking preferential treatment bad, to stay then a move it must be.

Any other reason looks to me like you want to take all the gain with non of the pain, if the Job means that much to you then commit and leave early.

If the Pension means more, and it probably does, it would to me, then 20 months of pain ain’t that bad, bearing in mind you’ve not moved yet and at least 4 months of this could be leave and resettlement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
As far as I'm aware, signing your LOS30 is basically a new employment contract, your '22 year' contract ceases to exist, so as others have said you'd have to PVR. LToD has, from what I've been told, pretty much gone out of the window, but if you PVR and have a chat with the manning desk, they should see the sense in leaving you alone while your clock ticks down, because to move you would just mean more work for them.

Question for the wider Goat audience though - if the OP was to give 18months notice, and his TG only required 6months at his rank, could he then be discharged before his 22 year point if manning choose to be arsey? Or do they have to honour the 18 months notice given?

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
As far as I'm aware, signing your LOS30 is basically a new employment contract, your '22 year' contract ceases to exist, so as others have said you'd have to PVR. LToD has, from what I've been told, pretty much gone out of the window, but if you PVR and have a chat with the manning desk, they should see the sense in leaving you alone while your clock ticks down, because to move you would just mean more work for them.

Question for the wider Goat audience though - if the OP was to give 18months notice, and his TG only required 6months at his rank, could he then be discharged before his 22 year point if manning choose to be arsey? Or do they have to honour the 18 months notice given?

6 months is Minimum Waiting Time (or 12 in lots of cases) - you can elect to take the 18 months option and any date between the 2.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
6 months is Minimum Waiting Time (or 12 in lots of cases) - you can elect to take the 18 months option and any date between the 2.

Yeah, sorry I know that bit, but what I meant was, if the OP elected to give 18months notice - taking him to his 22 year point - does manning have to accept the 18 months or could they turn round and kick him out earlier? Could manning turn round and say 'actually, if you want to leave you can leave, we don't need to you for 18 months, you can leave in 6 months', and basically do him out of pension money because the termination date would be lower than 22 years?

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Could manning turn round and say 'actually, if you want to leave you can leave, we don't need to you for 18 months, you can leave in 6 months', and basically do him out of pension money because the termination date would be lower than 22 years?

Surely that would have every legal eagle circling? That'd just be being a c*nt for the sake of it.....

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Yeah, sorry I know that bit, but what I meant was, if the OP elected to give 18months notice - taking him to his 22 year point - does manning have to accept the 18 months or could they turn round and kick him out earlier? Could manning turn round and say 'actually, if you want to leave you can leave, we don't need to you for 18 months, you can leave in 6 months', and basically do him out of pension money because the termination date would be lower than 22 years?

Never known that happen, would expect even the cluntiest CM to warn someone off in that situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dan_Brown

Sergeant

No they couldn't. He is terminating his contract, if whoever, decided to get rid of him any earlier then they are effectively making him redundant.

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
Quote '... I’ve been offered a teaching scholarship to start in September 2020 with timed promotion onto the senior leadership team.'

I'd be interested to see how the 'timed promotion' aspect is being sold.