• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Finding it difficult to choose a trade.

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
Finding it difficult to choose a trade.

Tabata is a form of hiit. Regular short burst of exercise followed by short breaks. Fartlek is a longer more irregular workout.

Also the two exercises I sent the OP are ones I use and alternate with.

Basically use half a footy pitch and walk along the long sides of the rectangle then sprint diagonally from corner to corner. The walk or jog is your rest. Do 8 full laps then rest for 1 min. Repeat for 20-30 mins.

The other one uses a whole pitch. Start in a corner. Gently jog along the touch line until the halfway line. Cross the pitch at the halfway line then carry on to the corner diagonally opposite the start corner. Jog along the goal line towards the opposite corner and repeat that pattern back to your starting corner. This should be a gentle jog btw and form a figure of 8. Lap 2 should be max effort until your first turn (halfway line) then complete the lap gently jogging. Lap 3 is max effort until your second turn (across the other side of the pitch) then complete the lap with a gentle jog. You should keep going until you do the full lap at max effort (which if you do it properly will have you hanging!).

The second exercise should only really be attempted when you've done the first one a few times. I do them a both once a week. Ex 1 on Monday. 40 min steady state jog on Wednesday. Ex 2 Friday (sometimes as recovery from happy hour the night before!). Cycling on Tuesday and Thursdays completes my exercises with weights each evening.

This message was sent using my thumb.

Last edited:

gray

Sergeant
Another exercise using a football pitch is to start at one end, and do shuttle runs up to each line (Include the penalty spot area if you want) A few repetitions of these gets the pulse going ! After a bit of a warm up, do them as fast as possible, rest, or ease off, and start again.....another thing I used to do if running on the road, was to alternate sprinting/jogging between lamp posts.

Last edited:

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
^^^ the football pitch shuttles are a great way to improve bleep test performance btw. The lamp post running technique is a form of fartlek training but is obviously dependent on your route.

This message was sent using my thumb.

K-10

LAC
Duly noted all. I have incorporated some longer runs & I certainly do find running more comfortable now (still not sold on it as a hobby though). The run is in the back of my mind now, focusing on sit-ups & press-ups (whilst still working on the run). I'm just about scraping the pass mark for both & it's annoying. I don't want to scrape through, I want to be comfortably through.

Nevertheless I had my selection interview this morning which I'm delighted to say I passed, it didn't go as smoothly as I hoped, after the interview he told me he could tell I was nervous as I kept fidgeting in my seat (I didn't even know I was doing that!) & I didn't really do much in school (wasn't amazing, but not a trouble-causer) so it was a bit thin in theat regard, didn't feel very long actually. I also have the date for my medical; 12th March. I'm surprised it was that far away as every other account I've read online the applicant usually has their medical a couple of weeks after the interview, but it still gives me plenty of time to get that fitness nailed.

I might need to go down to the AFCO tomorrow, the DBS NSV questionnaire which I'm required to fill out isn't working (tried several computers, internet browsers & devices) as I was urged to complete that asap. (If you haven't noticed, I seem to use brackets way too much)