• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Finding it difficult to choose a trade.

K-10

LAC
I had a feeling AST wouldn't go without a hitch. The trade I wanted, and indeed most technical trades, need to have a GCSE in science or an approved technology-based subject. Unfortunately I only have a BTEC in Applied Science & the GCSE in DT Graphics isn't allowed also. This immediately ruled me out of Weapon Technician & quite a few other trades.

Nevertheless they allowed me to sit the test to see what my potential options are. The test went well but not brilliant, so I was somewhat surprised when I was told I blitzed it. Scored 75 for the technical trades, so slightly frustrating to do well yet still be unable to choose my desired trade.

So I mentioned my second choice being ASOp, but the recruiters were trying to point me in the direction of ICT Technician, which they desperately need applicants for which includes a 'Golden Hello' bonus of £2k. Another avenue suggested was General Technician (Mechanical). They essentially said my scores were 'too good' for ASOp but I'm not sure whether a career in IT is for me, they did say it is a brilliant career with a lot more prospects than other trades during & after service, so I'm feeling a little conflicted. I've been told to phone them up within 7 days with what trade I've opted for so they can arrange the subsequent interview.

I'd also like to rule out the possibility of taking the missing GCSE(s)

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Do what you want. Not what they want.

Otherwise you will fall into he same trap as many thousands of aspirants for decades before you. If you have not considered ICT there is a good reason whay you have not, and why there is a shortfall.

ASOp may well be your thing.

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Good to see the AFCO are pushing you towards the 2 trades they are absolutely desperate for!!!

Don't rush into choosing a trade you don't want to do/have little knowledge off just to get in - so many do then leave or try to re-muster at a later date. The only way you'll enjoy the RAF is to do a trade you enjoy and get job satisfaction from.

Use the next 7 days wisely to read up as much as you can on those trades you can join up as and be 100% sure you have chosen wisely - don't be swayed by the choices given to fill "pinch point trades" - it could be the worst decision you make if 18 months down the line you find you hate it!

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
You also have to ask yourself why no-one else wants to do those jobs, what is it about them that means the RAF can't keep people in?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
There's nothing wrong with ICT if it's what you want to do, if it's not what you want to do then there's probably not much right with it for you.

If you want ASOp then apply for it and go for it, there's nothing wrong with the recruiters letting you know about other jobs but don't let them persuade you to do something your hearts not in.

If I were you I'd look into taking the missing GCSE then reapplying for what you really want to do.

Good luck

Gnasher

LAC
If I were you, I'd take the time to get the GCSE's you need to get the trade you really want. Otherwise you'll spend your whole career wondering 'what could have been'.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Bear in mind that you're aiming to join an organisation which places a lot of value in continued development. Imagine how good it sounds to the recruiter when you tell them you re-took a GCSE specifically for the purpose of joining your desired trade.

I'm sure many of us on here would have taken vastly different career paths had we taken to heart what the Recruiter who dealt with us all had said. I was steered towards RAF Police and even MT Tech initially until I showed my potential (And stood my ground by waiting for my trade to open which meant a 6 month delay).

FootTapper

Sergeant
There are only two trades in the RAF:

1, Armourers (Weapons Technicians)
2, Other.

I was in the first group, the chosen few. I left two years ago when I took redundancy and still consider the 15 years I spent Armourering as a truly fantastic time. Given a time machine and sent back to the day I walked into the CIO I would still tell them the same as I told them at the time - "Blowing things up? Playing with guns? Urinating inappropriately? Sign me up!" If I needed to re-take a GCSE to do so then I would have definitely considered it worthwhile.

However, with my grown up sensible head on.... I never wanted to work in IT either. When I was young I thought computers were cool and interesting and I got excited writing 1k computer games in BASIC. Then I started to see computers as just being a tool. I left the RAF and got into Project Management and absolutely, definitely didn't want anything to do with IT. Needless to say I'm now an Infrastructure Project Manager for Capita IT Enterprise Services!

I suspect the reason that the RAF is so keen to recruit ICT Techs is because a lot of them are leaving to pursue civilian careers. The RAF will train and qualify you to do the job, they'll support your personal and professional development in getting experience. They will do this far better than any civilian employer. Once you have qualifications and experience you then have the choice of whether you continue a career in the RAF in IT, or choose to leave and chase the bigger money in the civilian world.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
You must also look towards the future as in after your RAF career has ended. The trade of ASOP is varied but postings are few, you can progress onto the jets and Fighter Controller however there is no real call for Air Defence Operators in Civvy Street. Your Technical Trade would be, in my opinion, your best option.

Ict tech can be a very tech trade, it's the most diverse In MOD ranging from big radar, I hub, cyber defence, rpas, navaid (going civvy), tcw, bowman etc. have a good look before you dismiss, obv's if you really only want armour then get the qual n go for it.. Don't let the recruiter force your hand! At the end of the day, no-one want to be stuck In A job that bores them, good luck with what ever you do.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If you apply for ICT Tech at the moment, and you have a pulse, you'll get in for sure.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If you apply for ICT Tech at the moment, and you have a pulse, you'll get in for sure.

I don't actually know what the scope of an ICT Tech's trade but if you can get the mob to pay for courses that get you into writing code, configuring/managing databases or learning how to configure/install infrastructure then you'll do alright in and alright once you leave...

K-10

LAC
Thanks for all the input, whilst I haven't replied straight away, I have been checking up on this thread and taking the information in. I decided on ASOp. I should explain that ASOp was very close to being my first choice, and I spent a long time debating over having it as my first choice. So whilst it may seem like I'm 'falling back onto it', it certainly is something I really want to do.

I confirmed this with the AFCO, & not 30 minutes later I received an email informing me that I have my selection interview on the 22nd :D Whilst I absolutely do not underestimate the interview, I do feel confident I can perform well in it, I've been doing a lot of revision and feel pretty clued up on what I need to know.

Now, the only slight concern I have is fitness. I'm not a fitness fan, I hate running unless it's chasing a ball. Nevertheless I dropped my 1.5 mile time down from 15 minutes (yes, yes, I know) to a PB of 9:59, however since then I found it getting increasingly more difficult to tackle the run with my latest time as of today rising up to 10:42. Press-ups & sit-ups aren't brilliant either, I'm just about scraping the pass mark with both.

I got a booklet titled 'Fit for Halton' which features a '6 week guide to getting fit for RAF Halton', is it worth following this strictly & will it push me forward to at least average performance (and to the point where I'm not just scraping the pass rates, but at least be comfortably over them)? Of all the things to fail any stage of the application process on, fitness would be the most frustrating, particularly as it's the one thing that really is in my hands.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Treat that booklet you have been issued with as a minimum guideline only. If you can, push yourself further. The fitter you are before you turn up, the easier time you will have.

You'll still be beasted up and down Halton Hill, take that as a given, but you also have to factor in consistently long days and short periods of sleep - sometimes sacrificing sleep altogether to get the job done as it's not just about you but about your team as well.

Defo treat as a minimum. As I understand it, if you fail on fitness at selection your on the bus home that day! The Air Force policy is fit for life.

Good Luck

LilStill

Sergeant
Thanks for all the input, whilst I haven't replied straight away, I have been checking up on this thread and taking the information in. I decided on ASOp. I should explain that ASOp was very close to being my first choice, and I spent a long time debating over having it as my first choice. So whilst it may seem like I'm 'falling back onto it', it certainly is something I really want to do.

I confirmed this with the AFCO, & not 30 minutes later I received an email informing me that I have my selection interview on the 22nd :D Whilst I absolutely do not underestimate the interview, I do feel confident I can perform well in it, I've been doing a lot of revision and feel pretty clued up on what I need to know.

Now, the only slight concern I have is fitness. I'm not a fitness fan, I hate running unless it's chasing a ball. Nevertheless I dropped my 1.5 mile time down from 15 minutes (yes, yes, I know) to a PB of 9:59, however since then I found it getting increasingly more difficult to tackle the run with my latest time as of today rising up to 10:42. Press-ups & sit-ups aren't brilliant either, I'm just about scraping the pass mark with both.

I got a booklet titled 'Fit for Halton' which features a '6 week guide to getting fit for RAF Halton', is it worth following this strictly & will it push me forward to at least average performance (and to the point where I'm not just scraping the pass rates, but at least be comfortably over them)? Of all the things to fail any stage of the application process on, fitness would be the most frustrating, particularly as it's the one thing that really is in my hands.

If your run time is falling despite training, you may find you're not programming enough recovery. Try and follow the programme in the booklet as best you can; push yourself a little harder on each activity, but stick to the programme and the rest days.

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
I can recommend hiit for improving your fitness and breaking through any plateau. I will pm you some exercises. Just so you know; when starting any fitness programme you will initially see results then after two to four weeks this will stop and maybe even regress. Persisting with a varied training programme will see you improve again consistently after six weeks or so and start to see real improvement.

Remember that it's a marathon not a sprint. Short term effort gives short term results.

This message was sent using my thumb.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Tabata training? I'm pretty sure the old Fartlek running is included.