• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Field Gunner Vid

U

urhavingalaugh

Just a pitty that the last course will be running later this year.

Is this true? I'm trying to remuster at the moment and they are still plannin F.G Courses upto 2010 acording to the timetable anyhow. Would be a shame if it did stop as it looks a good test of will :pDT_Xtremez_28:

F

fiveonerock

I know when I walked into the AFCO it was with the intention of joining the corps and nothing else, the fact it was in the RAF didn't really feature, I went to join said unit, as one would do if joining say Para Regt. or HCR. But as has been stated already, we have perks, the only infantry unit I would even consider in the Army is the Parachute Regiment, I'm not taking anything away from the line regiments, but to get into high end soldiering and work with special forces etc. the units that do such are now clearly laid out. And I know I have certainly worked with UKSF and I'm on a field sqn. As has been said, the firepower of a sqn is phenomenal, it's a battalion minus level of fire power, getting Jav is only gonna push us further up as well.

PCGunner

LAC
Is this true? I'm trying to remuster at the moment and they are still plannin F.G Courses upto 2010 acording to the timetable anyhow. Would be a shame if it did stop as it looks a good test of will :pDT_Xtremez_28:

It is true in a way, F.G courses are now being included at the end of basics instead of being a separate course.

Exchange Officer?

Exchange Officer?

Presumably Capt Sorenson (with the Ranger tab) was/is the current USAF exchange officer? Going back a while, the exchange from the USAF Security Police would go to High Wycombe and a desk. Looks like the exchange gets a BG flight now. Much better.

HH

Last edited:
S

Scottow Horseshoe

I don't know...

I don't know...

Someone watches blokes doing their own jobs well, and then has to have a crack at them, i'd like to see you go out there and do it....

The Regiment Do their job BETTER than any "Crap Hat" infantry unit would in the same position and in my time in I was happy to know we had our own Defence force who were more attuned and orientated towards the way things are on a station.

I'd have loved to gone out there and done that part of the course,having spent time with both the RAF and The Army I KNOW who I'D chose to complete my training with if I had my time again and it wouldn't be The Royal Artillery

Sadly i'm 25 years too late and now i'm a fat Knacker, I had a small taste of what the job entails on MRF at RAF Coltishall and I (Even though this might sound "Cabbagy" for a Rigger) Fcukin' LOVED IT!

So, when the Sh1t hits the fan and you are in a HAZ or on deployment, who would you rather have beating off the bad guys......The best trained blokes to do the job in HM forces or a Fatboy who's been put on guard because he's p*ssed off the F/S and really wants to be back in his Bay playing with bits of aircraft and Doesn't have much inclination to do his Stag and wouldn't know how to patrol properly if his life depended on it!

SIMPLE as that...END OF!

I'd have loved to gone out there and done that part of the course,having spent time with both the RAF and The Army I KNOW who I'D chose to complete my training with if I had my time again and it wouldn't be The Royal Artillery

Sadly i'm 25 years too late and now i'm a fat Knacker, I had a small taste of what the job entails on MRF at RAF Coltishall and I (Even though this might sound "Cabbagy" for a Rigger) Fcukin' LOVED IT!!

I'm not sure we are too old. I was humbled when I read the obit for the late SAC Gary Thompson here.

So, when the Sh1t hits the fan and you are in a HAZ or on deployment, who would you rather have beating off the bad guys......The best trained blokes to do the job in HM forces or a Fatboy who's been put on guard because he's p*ssed off the F/S and really wants to be back in his Bay playing with bits of aircraft and Doesn't have much inclination to do his Stag and wouldn't know how to patrol properly if his life depended on it!!

But we wouldn't want to forget Churchill, would we: "Every airfield should be a stronghold of fighting air-groundsmen and not the abode of uniformed civilians in the prime of life protected by detachments of soldiers."

Great Air Clues avator - where's it from?

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
There's quite a few on this site who say the Regiment don't deserve their pay packets. I'd like to see some of the fat fckers do this on a regular basis.

And I would like to see a Rock strip and rebuild an RB199 Aero Engine or deal with any complex fault on an aircraft.
Originally Posted by Vagabond

----------------

Come on, lads. To each his own!

Red-Rock

Sergeant
It is true in a way, F.G courses are now being included at the end of basics instead of being a separate course.

This is true mate. The TG course now lasts 29 weeks. The first 12 weeks are the recruit phase (basic RAF training like at Halton) the next 10 weeks are the TG phase of training which includes all the warry stuff including the new weapon systems LMG, UGL and HMNVS. Then you have the Field Gunner phase which now lasts 7 weeks which covers the GPMG and all the field firing side of the job. They are incorporating the TG and FG phases to maintain continuity of training team and to get rid of some of the niff naff stuff on the course. It is a really good idea in my opinion as you go staright from Phase 2 to Phase 3 training without having to hang around for the next FG course to start.

That vid from Sennybridge is part of a 2.5 week field firing package that goes from section dry training up to full flt live firing attacks. Fcuking awesome stuff.

I can't wait to get to that stuff. I have really missed it.

The TG courses here at Honinigton are feckin huge at the mo. We have 60 guys on our course, Capitals have about 50 and Habbaniya have 48. Meiktila pick up in a couple of weeks with about the same as well. The Depot is a busy, busy place.

Smash

LAC
Incorporating FG course is a good thing because in the past, lads would tip up to Sqns off TGs and mince about uselessly for a couple of months before dissappearing off to do FGs. Usually this would result in Officers and Seniors asking each other 'who the hell are those lot?' and pointing at a bunch of LACs standing aimlessly around the shop floor, sitting on HQ Flt's books and getting ripped by passing SACs and made to stand on their heads and stuff. You couldnt plan anything for them as they had FGs to do and were 'untouchable'. Finally when they did turn up you could get them on driving courses and the like but the whole process was extended. With the new course, lads turn up with FGs completed, a B1 driving licence and their TATs more or less complete. This 'condensing' not only ensures continuity of training but means that when a lad steps into the Sqn, he is immediatly assigned to a Flight and can crack on with the minimum of minicing and standing on heads. FGs has turned out some excellent gunners of late, and with the op tempo the way it is, any reduction in 'faff' and speeding up of the end product is vital!

H

Heffernan

Top video on you tube at the moment showing the final ranges of the course at senny

Puts some of the party line videos to shame

Just a pitty that the last course will be running later this year.

What do you mean the last course? As in the last course ever?

S

shortty

Hi, first post here, and I hope it gets taken in the way I mean it... basically before I say anything i'll clarify something: I am not anti-reg in any way, and am on here to learn about the Regiment with the intention of possibly joining as an officer later on. I have served before as Army TA and served on FTRS.

With regards to the video, I thought it was good, but did wonder about something.

In the video the OC is saying something about this being the part of the course that puts the Regiment on a par with the Paras and Marines, but it seems that he is refering to a 5 mile tab and then a live firing platoon attack. Have I got this right?

If so, then the next bit isn't going to come across too well. Is it really fair to compare a 5 mile march and shoot to P-Coy or CTC? Bearing in mind each of these courses have tabs of 20 miles and 30 miles respectively, and a whole host of other challenges such as 9 mile speed marches.

I'm hoping i've missed something, or there is a lot more to the course..

And this bit, definately isn't having a go at the Regiment, but I think if people want to be respected by other units and forces then it is important to give those units the respect they deserve in return.

Slagging "crap-hat" infantry units seems just wrong, especially in todays climate where units such as Royal Anglians, and PWRR have had contacts on a daily basis and lost lads in battles where they have held their own and excelled at their job. Just reading a book like "Sniper One" will make this apparent. This is also without mentioning the other "elite" units such as the para and commando trained sappers, gunners and scaleys.

Respectfully, Shortty.:pDT_Xtremez_26:

Gunnerrock

Corporal
Hi, first post here, and I hope it gets taken in the way I mean it... basically before I say anything i'll clarify something: I am not anti-reg in any way, and am on here to learn about the Regiment with the intention of possibly joining as an officer later on. I have served before as Army TA and served on FTRS.

With regards to the video, I thought it was good, but did wonder about something.

In the video the OC is saying something about this being the part of the course that puts the Regiment on a par with the Paras and Marines, but it seems that he is refering to a 5 mile tab and then a live firing platoon attack. Have I got this right?

If so, then the next bit isn't going to come across too well. Is it really fair to compare a 5 mile march and shoot to P-Coy or CTC? Bearing in mind each of these courses have tabs of 20 miles and 30 miles respectively, and a whole host of other challenges such as 9 mile speed marches.

I'm hoping i've missed something, or there is a lot more to the course..

And this bit, definately isn't having a go at the Regiment, but I think if people want to be respected by other units and forces then it is important to give those units the respect they deserve in return.

Slagging "crap-hat" infantry units seems just wrong, especially in todays climate where units such as Royal Anglians, and PWRR have had contacts on a daily basis and lost lads in battles where they have held their own and excelled at their job. Just reading a book like "Sniper One" will make this apparent. This is also without mentioning the other "elite" units such as the para and commando trained sappers, gunners and scaleys.

Respectfully, Shortty.:pDT_Xtremez_26:

Mate, what your seeing there is someone trying to big up the lads and get them geared up before they do a little touch of hard work.
I am not going to get into a weeing contest about who does what, when and how.
As for slagging other units? Well its part of military life mate, you should know that. It does not however take away the fine job that allthe British Military are doing on Operations.

S

shortty

Points taken on board. I see where you're coming from with regards to the gearing the lads up and in retrospect can remember other instructors saying similar things on some courses i've been on.

My intention was never to go down the who's better than whom line. It's pointless and usually very inacurate. But in this same vein there has been reports of many standard line infantry units reaching almost elite force levels due to the huge amount of experience they have gained. Again, without banging on too much about it, the PWRR experience in Iraq must have given them the kind of skills that P Coy and the like can't even try to replicate. It's also largely been down to luck as to which tours are peacefull and which ones end with the serving units having been through contacts not seen since WWII.

Of course as a result of this, the constantly re-deploying units such as 1 Para, all Marine Cdo's and RAF Reg (esp SFSG) have gained even more experience and refining of skills. If it's not an OpSec issue, could anyone tell me what the average turn around time is for most Sqn's from one tour to the next?

Basically my point was that slagging of other units in jest is fine. I mean we all know Para's are far and above the thickest squaddies going...:pDT_Xtremez_15:. However if it's serious slagging of a units abilities, then nowadays comments like all crap-hat inf rgts are ****e, just doesn't wash. The difference between a unit yet to be deployed on a troublesome tour and one that has just done an epic fighting tour, are simply huge. And yes, everyone who is out there has my upmost respect.

As a potential attendee at JROC, could anyone point me in the direction of, or give me some information on the fitness tasks that i might expect on the course.

Thanks, Shortty

Gunnerrock

Corporal
Points taken on board. I see where you're coming from with regards to the gearing the lads up and in retrospect can remember other instructors saying similar things on some courses i've been on.

My intention was never to go down the who's better than whom line. It's pointless and usually very inacurate. But in this same vein there has been reports of many standard line infantry units reaching almost elite force levels due to the huge amount of experience they have gained. Again, without banging on too much about it, the PWRR experience in Iraq must have given them the kind of skills that P Coy and the like can't even try to replicate. It's also largely been down to luck as to which tours are peacefull and which ones end with the serving units having been through contacts not seen since WWII.

Of course as a result of this, the constantly re-deploying units such as 1 Para, all Marine Cdo's and RAF Reg (esp SFSG) have gained even more experience and refining of skills. If it's not an OpSec issue, could anyone tell me what the average turn around time is for most Sqn's from one tour to the next?

Basically my point was that slagging of other units in jest is fine. I mean we all know Para's are far and above the thickest squaddies going...:pDT_Xtremez_15:. However if it's serious slagging of a units abilities, then nowadays comments like all crap-hat inf rgts are ****e, just doesn't wash. The difference between a unit yet to be deployed on a troublesome tour and one that has just done an epic fighting tour, are simply huge. And yes, everyone who is out there has my upmost respect.

As a potential attendee at JROC, could anyone point me in the direction of, or give me some information on the fitness tasks that i might expect on the course.

Thanks, Shortty

Sqn turn around time is six months in theater then 1 year in the UK. Quite a few months of that year is build up training for the next tour. With a couple more field Sqns though its about to get a bit better.

If you want info on fitness tests go to a careers office, they will point you in the right direction, from what I've seen JROC isn't exactly easy :pDT_Xtremez_31:

E

Earl Grey

Thanks, Shortty

Have you attended the Potential Regt Officers Aquaintance Course (PROAC) yet?

If not, then do so, it will give you all the info you need. Bookable through your local AFCO.

S

shortty

Thanks for the advice. No not been on PROAC yet, this will be my next stop.. Actually glad to hear it's not easy, would be rather dissapointed if i passed out without at least having been beasted within an inch of my life a few times...! Would be going in as fit is I could anyway, as would ideally want to pass the pre-para selection and set myself the goal of II Sqn.

Also, just wondering if anyone who has served on secondments to the army, or has transfered, could tell me what they think are the differences between the officers mess and ethos is between the two (ideally from Infantry mess)? If any, that is.

Regards

Shortty

E

Earl Grey

Thanks for the advice. No not been on PROAC yet, this will be my next stop.. Actually glad to hear it's not easy, would be rather dissapointed if i passed out without at least having been beasted within an inch of my life a few times...! Would be going in as fit is I could anyway, as would ideally want to pass the pre-para selection and set myself the goal of II Sqn.

Also, just wondering if anyone who has served on secondments to the army, or has transfered, could tell me what they think are the differences between the officers mess and ethos is between the two (ideally from Infantry mess)? If any, that is.

Regards

Shortty

Average pass rate on JROC is around the 40% mark, pass rate on Pre Para is lower, I'm sure you can draw your own conclusions from the figures.

Second Q is slightly more tricky. In my experience....Infantry Messes are usually single capbadge and therefore a closer community, also more formal at Dinner etc. The RAF Regt Officers Mess (there isn't one) is an RAF Mess, and is therefore more relaxed, if that's the right word.

However, RAF Regt do have their own formal functions, anniversary of the Corps etc.

Does that help?

S

shortty

Second Q is slightly more tricky. In my experience....Infantry Messes are usually single capbadge and therefore a closer community, also more formal at Dinner etc. The RAF Regt Officers Mess (there isn't one) is an RAF Mess, and is therefore more relaxed, if that's the right word.

However, RAF Regt do have their own formal functions, anniversary of the Corps etc.

Does that help?

Do you mean NCO's, Officers and OR's all share the same mess, or that all of a base's officers use the same mess?

Info on JROC and pre-para sounds interesting.. :pDT_Xtremez_30: What happens to the officers that fail JROC though? If I understand the process right, they are commissioned by this point, so do they go on to other duties/branches of the RAF, or do they holding troop till they are ready?

Shortty