• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Few Questions about BRTC Kit List

Duvet?

Duvet?

Do NOT bring a duvet unless you really want to get into trouble with your flt staff, you'll be using the sheets and blankets you did on PRTC.

Or, bring a duvet and single fitted sheet, stash them in your suitcase each morning; did it at Cranwell and worked a treat, wish I had the forethought to do it at Swinderby. Is a risk if they run a night drill you may get caught, but your choice.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Just watch it. The sneaky *******s leave something between sheets to see if your'e making it.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
Yes Stevie... It's almost like the instructors went through RTS once upon a time, and might have tried all the same tricks... ;)

FootTapper

Sergeant
And standby for LOTS of grief from the Flt staff WHEN it gets discovered.

Also - hope you get nice cuddly rocks as your flight staff, not nasty evil Armourers!

(Our DI staff waited until half way through and then said "seriously, have none of you worked out to buy another can of shaving foam to use for inspections yet?")

LilStill

Sergeant
Also - hope you get nice cuddly rocks as your flight staff, not nasty evil Armourers!

(Our DI staff waited until half way through and then said "seriously, have none of you worked out to buy another can of shaving foam to use for inspections yet?")

Concur with the armourers bit... MBH is a nasty man! ;)

Thanks for all the info and I think I'll stick to making my bed everyday and getting into the habit of cleaning my one set of toiletries rather than trying to cheat the system but some of the techniques used are ingenious lol

3 weeks to go, I'm looking forward to it so much.

Ronsuddes

SAC
Few Questions about BRTC Kit List

In the Boy Entrants in 1962 most people had a complete set of new brushes purely for inspection.

(Shaving foam hadn't been invented)

MattBombHead

Sergeant
Ladies and gents, believe me when I say that 'core values' transgressions are taken very seriously at the modern day RTS.

What may (or may not) have been permissible when we went through is now massively frowned upon.

I'm not being a killjoy, simply trying to give a (recent) instructors point of view, to try and help people getting more attention than they need from the flight staff.

Personally, whilst carrying out inspections, if I saw a tin of shaving gel didn't have a little bit of residue from that days shave (no matter how well you wash it out, if it's been used that day, there will be a bit of residue), then I'd start to question if the recruit had shaved that morning.

It's been said on this site before, and no doubt will be again, if you're prepared to try and pull the wool over someone's eyes with regards to if you've rinsed out the cap of your shaving gel, what other 'minor' thing are you prepared to try and cover up? Perhaps that you knocked the seat pan firing handle on an ejection seat....?

It all boils down to Integrity.

And let's be honest, is it really that hard to rinse your shaving kit each morning...?

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
I agree about instilling values by attention to detail on matters that might otherwise be considered trivial. It's all about standards. If I left my shaving kit unrinsed, I'd be uncomfortable using it next time. That said, these modern plastic things that you see touted about all over the place are cr@p and take an age to clean anyway. My razor is the original King Gillette with double-edge blades (cheap as chips and last twice as long as the venetian blind variety), just loosen it half a turn and rinse under a running tap to clean it. My brush is white-tipped badger hair, cost a fortune and hence needs looking after. The soap bowl gets rinsed after I've brushed up and drains while I'm doing the business in hand. That foam stuff you get in @rsehols(!) isn't good for your chops anyway. That's the way I've done it for 40 years.

razor.jpg

spick@29

LAC
Just one more, swim shorts skin tight or are shorts like this ok?

View attachment 13317vsView attachment 13316?

Those shorts will be fine.

Don't forget your swimming cap. The pool rules here state everyone will wear one.

Enjoy basic training mate, your integrity and sense of humour will get you through. I give a brief to rts students on day 23 so will try and find ya to see how it's going. The sheer fact that you have gone to the effort to ask sensible Q's before arriving is a merit. Some don't and expect to be told how to do literally anything.

Top tip: always be the grey man. Don't kiss arssse and don't be a mong! If your DS ask you your name on your pass out parade, you've triumphed!

I already have my swimming cap and goggles on the way :) just got a few bits and bobs to buy and then I have everything I need. Thanks for the advice and being the "grey man" always comes naturally to me. I'll look forward to your brief on day 23 but I'm hoping to only be in it once.

spick@29

LAC
hi matt

hi matt

I already have my swimming cap and goggles on the way :) just got a few bits and bobs to buy and then I have everything I need. Thanks for the advice and being the "grey man" always comes naturally to me. I'll look forward to your brief on day 23 but I'm hoping to only be in it once.

Good to hear you are almost ready for it!
My Campion Flt RTS colleague and I are reading your posts with great interest and look fwd to meeting you.

MAG94

LAC
Just discovered this thread....think we've got the same start date -
You've had some useful answers to your questions..
I've gone for the second pair of shorts.

Not long now, time seems to be going a whole lot slower since my final interview. What's your trade? I only met two other ICT Techs on my PRTC the rest were drivers or AMMs.