• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Few Questions about BRTC Kit List

I am in the process of buying everything I need for my 10 weeks at Halton but I have a few questions about other things that aren't on the kit list.

Do I need anything to store my polish, selvyt cloths, brushes etc in? Bag or Tupperware box?
Do I need fabric conditioner?
Which are best for boots, cotton wool balls or pleats? (Kit list says bring either)
Is there any other necessity that I need to take that isn't on the kit list?
Do I need a soap dish and soap if I never use it? (I still have a wash but by other means)

Thats it for the time being but if I have anymore questions I'll ask in this thread.

Thanks

Matt

Vushtrri

Sergeant
Sorry if I sound as if I'm taking the **** and don't take it personally...and I'll probably get shot down by some other old fart for being heartless.........but honestly, you are going into our glorious armed forces to die for Queen and Country and you are asking if you should take your polish etc in a bag or a plastic box..and should you take a soap dish and soap if you never use it ???? Decisions decisions......get into habit of making them... it may save your arse one day.

Maybe I am over thinking things but I just don't want to get down there and get a bollocking for something I should have brought with me. Care to answer any of my questions?

briggfairy

Sergeant
from a practical point of view a little bag or box to put your polish and cloth in will save time of cleaning polish off whatever the dirty cloth touches when you put it in your locker, just don't display it on inspections. as for the soapdish i was told a decade ago by my rts staff that the idea that people still wash with soap was outdated however it looks more uniform than a myriad of different shower gels that could potentially leak over your kit.

even if you don't use the soap don't forget to unwrap the soap and clean the inside of the dish before inspections, i got a chewing in the last week of halton for having dust inside the dish despite the dish having been unopened for the entire 9 weeks

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Ignore people who have perhpas forgotten just how daunting basic training can be...especially if you don;t come from any kind of military background.

Think about how much time you won't have to attend to stuff may seem importnat to you now but once you progress through basic training, in to professional training and beyond will dwindle into obscurity and plan accordingly.

Having a bunch of items floating around in a locker, drawer or cupboard will be difficult to manage so perhaps think about corralling it into a container or bag but NEVER lose sight of 'attention to detail' as this is one of the learning points about basic training they are trying to achieve with you...Attention to detail will see you through making a bed to a ordained standard, to keeping your personal weapon in a usable state, to ensuring that a £million piece of equipment in your charge works when it's needed to...and it all starts with questions like 'is a box a good idea?'

You will learn as the weeks go by where you can improve your performance in all aspects of your training...those that react to those opportunities make life easier for themselves, those that don't will attract greater attention from the discips (so less attention on you thinking positively) and perhaps falter on the course...Never stop thinking about better ways to store things, to clean things, to present things...never let your game slip because you don't think it's important...for 10 weeks things that have never registered on your radar as being even in existnece become important so give it all due dilligence.

In the end things like how to store stuff or make it shinier rubs off on you and it's part of what makes up the character of a servicemen and it stays with you all your life, even after you leave. I still give my kids extra drill in the morning if their school shoes are 'highly polished'!!

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Here is my list from November. I was only there for 2 weeks for the FP bit, but this is pretty much all you will need.

• There are plenty of vacuum cleaners, but a mini one is nice for pre-inspection if you have it (don’t buy one)
  • Don’t buy too small a padlock – they wont fit
  • They like you to use the bed – they also like perfect beds – bring a light duvet and a sheet if you can. – very light as it gets very warm in there. A slug will be a bit much.
  • Ear plugs – snoring resonates
  • Small light for the bedside – people don’t appreciate early risers
  • Ironing boards – our room of 16 people had 10 ironing boards. Not a necessity really
  • Bring a wire brush – multiple uses
  • Pain killers and knee bandages – the joints take a hammering if you are old
  • Tea mugs and spoons are useful
  • Shoe boxes/bags for crap are also useful
  • Proper clothes brush which can be used for getting mud off CBRN gear
  • Bring a small karabiner for your helmet
  • re-sealable plastic bags of all sizes likewise
  • Get green tape for name stencilling (it comes off so needs redoing)
  • Bring a stencil and sharpy laundry marker as well if you can
  • Nail brush and hand cream is vital, and bring some strong hand cleaner like swarfega if you can. Mine still look like they belong to a tramp.
  • Toilet roll if you like a good wipe. Enough said.
  • 2 x face flannels (not white etc) for face and arse in separate ziplocks
  • 2 tea towels, one to be seen with, and one to hide (they get covered in hexy crap)
  • Heavyweight placcy bag for the Bergen liner.
  • Use Tesco bags to help you get all the rolled CBRN stuff into one jet pack – like a condom if you will. It works.
  • Try and keep the weapon oil separate in a sealed bag with kitchen roll – they all leak and it gets everywhere.
  • The laundry is all free, including the big one on the other side of the square. Bring washing sheets – easier to handle and mesh wash bags
  • Don’t bring a combo toll
  • If you bring ibuprofen or paracetomol, hide them. They get really anal about kids topping themselves since deepcut.

Thanks for the answers they are invaluable to me at the moment as I'm trying to learn as much as possible before setting foot at Halton.

Here is my list from November. I was only there for 2 weeks for the FP bit, but this is pretty much all you will need.

• Get green tape for name stencilling (it comes off so needs redoing)
  • Don’t bring a combo toll

Thanks for all the info Stevienics, forgive me if I'm being naive, what do you use the green tape for when you stencil your name on things? What is a combo toll?

LilStill

Sergeant
Thanks for the answers they are invaluable to me at the moment as I'm trying to learn as much as possible before setting foot at Halton.Thanks for all the info Stevienics, forgive me if I'm being naive, what do you use the green tape for when you stencil your name on things? What is a combo toll?
Don't worry about the green tape, as you are joining up from Civvy Street. RTS will supply tape where it is required. Think he meant combi tool, which is banned as it has sharp stabby bits.

wench02

SAC
Stevionics has a good selection of ideas on there. When I went to Halton, I made sure that everything was packed into different Tupperware boxes. One for stationary. One for first aid kit, one for sewing kit etc. Make life a heck of a lot easier when you are either trying to find stuff in your lockers, or keeping them tidy! I would also second the bit about a duvet, you only have to make your bed once a week then, instead of everyday (although it does need to be kept tidy and not looking like a pig sty).

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Don't worry about the green tape, as you are joining up from Civvy Street. RTS will supply tape where it is required. Think he meant combi tool, which is banned as it has sharp stabby bits.

Do the guys still have to sew name tags into their socks etc? or was that someones little dream at one time?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Stevionics has a good selection of ideas on there. When I went to Halton, I made sure that everything was packed into different Tupperware boxes. One for stationary. One for first aid kit, one for sewing kit etc. Make life a heck of a lot easier when you are either trying to find stuff in your lockers, or keeping them tidy! I would also second the bit about a duvet, you only have to make your bed once a week then, instead of everyday (although it does need to be kept tidy and not looking like a pig sty).

You are right about the locker and containers. Being essentially a civvi and disorganised, we were so busy that the private locker was a pile of crap in about 3 days. Couldn't find a anything.

Who?

SNCO Odds and Sods
Do NOT bring a duvet unless you really want to get into trouble with your flt staff, you'll be using the sheets and blankets you did on PRTC. Do get some tupperware boxes for polish etc as it makes life a lot easier, also labeling socks has gone but you do need a sock laundry bag so as not to lose them in the wash...

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Do NOT bring a duvet unless you really want to get into trouble with your flt staff,

Yea, well. I would say leave it a few weeks and see how things go, eh?

LilStill

Sergeant
Yea, well. I would say leave it a few weeks and see how things go, eh?

Like everything else ever, carry out the crime if you're happy to do the time. I took a sleeping bag and ended up leaving it in the car for 9 weeks because it was redders anyway. OP: Choice is yours and you've heard the pros and cons. I would certainly just consider that you don't know who's reading these forums, but you've told us your start date, first name and first surname letter. Not going to be hard for E-Goat reading RTS staff to ID you, is it?

Few Questions about BRTC Kit List

Like everything else ever, carry out the crime if you're happy to do the time. I took a sleeping bag and ended up leaving it in the car for 9 weeks because it was redders anyway. OP: Choice is yours and you've heard the pros and cons. I would certainly just consider that you don't know who's reading these forums, but you've told us your start date, first name and first surname letter. Not going to be hard for E-Goat reading RTS staff to ID you, is it?

I actually thought the exact same thing today whilst at work :stupid: but I have nothing to hide and I'm certainly not looking for trouble in my 10 weeks or anytime at all in my career for that matter so no-one will gain anything from IDing me at Halton. However maybe I should make a mental note to be a touch more discreet and less open with information since I am going into a Military career where things should be kept confidential most of the time. There's another lesson learnt.

Last edited:

MattBombHead

Sergeant
I pinged so many new recruits via egoat, it's always a chuckle when they've been bragging in here about how they'll get one over in the Flt Staff...

A very important lesson learnt I reckon

LilStill

Sergeant
I pinged so many new recruits via egoat, it's always a chuckle when they've been bragging in here about how they'll get one over in the Flt Staff...A very important lesson learnt I reckon
You more or less pinged me for PRTC, never mind the proper course!!!

FootTapper

Sergeant
I am in the process of buying everything I need for my 10 weeks at Halton but I have a few questions about other things that aren't on the kit list.

Do I need anything to store my polish, selvyt cloths, brushes etc in? Bag or Tupperware box?
Do I need fabric conditioner?
Which are best for boots, cotton wool balls or pleats? (Kit list says bring either)
Is there any other necessity that I need to take that isn't on the kit list?
Do I need a soap dish and soap if I never use it? (I still have a wash but by other means)

Thats it for the time being but if I have anymore questions I'll ask in this thread.

Thanks

Matt

Matt,

(Taking your questions in order)

Yes - as said get a few plastic boxes for storing different kit in.
Only you know this. All in one washing liquid capsules are probably the way forward.
Selvyt cloth for polishing and bulling, cotton wool balls are handy to water bull. (Under running tap)
This phrase, write it down on something and remember it when you feel low - "They can't kill you and they can't make you pregnant".
Yes - soap and soap dish are for inspections. Likewise, take more than one can of shaving gel/foam and keep one unused for inspections. In fact - have duplicates of all wash kit, so you can have a nice shiny set being inspected.

Feel free to ask more :) I'm sure there's plenty of us wouldn't have minded some extra advice prior to starting recruit training. I personally was bricking it going through the kit list and trying to make sure I had everything.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
Likewise, take more than one can of shaving gel/foam and keep one unused for inspections. In fact - have duplicates of all wash kit, so you can have a nice shiny set being inspected.

And standby for LOTS of grief from the Flt staff WHEN it gets discovered.

Remember, integrity is one of the things you'll be constantly expected to adhere to... What with it being a Core Value and all...

Don't say you weren't warned.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk