• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fake tanks or fake news?

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
An interesting piece in the Sunday Times today. Apparently the British Army is contemplating a cunning new plan to disguise the fact we don’t have enough armour. The plan? Using the technology used to inflate swimming pool lilos and bouncy castles to make a range of new military ‘inflatables’ (something I’m reasonably sure they did during the Second World War!). An official report has concluded (allegedly) that the Army should boost its ‘deception capability’ to counter its lack of mass.

I wonder when we will see a range of inflatable aircraft, airmen and other assorted military kit?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Rumour has it that some people already own inflatable women.:pDT_Xtremez_42:

During WW2 inflatable decoys did indeed play a role in many operations. We had our version and the yanks called their's the ghost army even the Japs got sneaky.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/wwii-ghost-army

But with modern intel collection methods it might be very much harder to fool the bad guys with an inflatable dummy.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I sat in Northumberland with a couple of inflatable tank type things in the 90s, used for target practice.

Not for shooting, but for finding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
So what did the inflatable officer say to the inflatable airman in front of the inflatable aircraft?

"You've let yourself down. You've let me down. But worst of all, you've let the whole squadron down." :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
So what did the inflatable officer say to the inflatable airman in front of the inflatable aircraft?

"You've let yourself down. You've let me down. But worst of all, you've let the whole squadron down." :pDT_Xtremez_30:

I bet he was deflated.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I sat in Northumberland with a couple of inflatable tank type things in the 90s, used for target practice.

Not for shooting, but for finding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked after about a dozen of these during my time on ii(AC) Sqn. I took them all over the UK, putting them out for aircrew to find. We even put one on a lorry to simulate a mobile scud launcher pre-GW 2!

222006_6655015834_6906_n.jpg
Tank.jpg

Last edited:

rocket scientist

Sergeant
I used to see plenty of these in a compound in Goose Bay.

I thought the old Phantoms sitting on the lazy runways at Coningsby & Leeming did the same job..............there'll be a load of Tornado's spare soon.....just saying.