• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Exercise Exercise Exercise

theladf

Cynic & Conspiracy Theorist
Following on from the new thread about the recall at Cosford what are the abiding memories that the goat has of exercises? I'll get the ball rolling, this could be quite long so grab a coffee and read on.

It was either the back end of 1985 or early 86 LAC Ladf was posted to Marham, and was on ECPG (Entry Control Point Guard), an add-on to Aug Force where you man the guardroom and do fire piquet type stuff. Monday evening having had a mere 8 hrs kip since Friday morning training. (if your shift standby was during the day you were not allowed to kip in the guardroom bunks and were not allowed to leave the place either!!!) at 16 : 00 I had 12hrs standdown and went to my pit to crash for as long as poss. Anyhow ladf is punching out ZZZZZ's only to be rudely awakened by one of the FLM's bursting into my room as the siren blared out and being told to get my @rse to work pronto, it was 18:45 Monday evening. Being on ECPG I had to get to the guardroom, and got there as a steady stream of day shifters who had probably only left a couple of hours earlier re entered the camp. The SWO (the legendary Bernie) had me black out all the windows then sent me back to my room so more ZZZZ's ensued. However with the entire station blacked out,and just as I arrived at my block I could hear a Herc landing. But I went to kip blissfully unaware of the carnage about to be unleashed on the unit. I went to work at 06:30 (thanks to the SWO) the next morning and the stories of the previous nights exercise were staring to filter round the station (with usual embellishment). Apparently the Stn Cdr thought it would be a good idea to enhance the realism of the exercise by getting proper intruders in. The Herc I had heard landing had a group of 20-30 Para's on board with the instructions to create havoc. And so they did. The first people to confront them were the SRF (Station Reaction Force) including a mate of mine who was well into all this sort of stuff (even buying his own webbing and other adornments) they were summarily given a Fcuking good hiding, 2 hospitalised, my mate had all his Gucci equipment liberated by the pongo's, and all their vehicles were nicked. having spread out in all directions the Para's got to 27 Sqn where the F/S painter and finisher was guarding one end of the site. he issued a challenge and got sparked out. Any SLR's that were liberated were stripped and thrown to the four winds. another painter went to his F/S's aid only to be knocked to the floor and being told "don't move" looked around at his assailant and said "what" whereby they danced on his hands breaking several fingers. sotries such as this came from across the unit, a lad on 57 challenged and got a rifle butt in the mouth and then 57's JEngO confronted the Para's with the challenge "Stop I am an RAF Officer" which resulted in him being dragged through the barbed wire ankle traps by his feet. The SEngO on 57 sensing things were beyond control got all his boys back in to prevent further casualties. Any vehicles which were left outside were disabled, all the Victors on the flight line had chalked "X" on their nose wheels where the Para's claimed them destroyed. The Wraf's in the tower were hiding under their desks as the Para's came up the fire escape and were trying to get at them. The Tornado Sqn's were somewhat better off having HAS's but they still got brutalised when the chance arose. The end result of the Stn Cdr's "good idea was that the next day he had reports of 20 personnel needing medical treatment (5 in hospital). The Station could not operate until a complete Fod sweep had been carried out (thousands of items from weapons parts, bits of MT, spent cases and links were recovered) this closed the unit for Tuesday (job done by the Para's) But MTSS and the armoury had to work all the hours god created to fix the MT fleet and reunite the serialised components of each SLR. And I slept through this. All of what I have written here is second hand but knowing guys in most of the sections and seeing a large number of black eyes, swollen lips and crooked noses in the mess the next day seemed to bear out what had happened. For his part the Stn Cdr tannoyed the Station later on the Tuesday highlighting his outrage at what had happened and stating that the Para's would never be allowed on this unit again(a bit late). And that was my first experience of an Exercise in the RAF!!!! I thought if they are all like this I want to stay in the fcuking guardroom!!!! (and not a ham and egg banjo in sight!!!!)

230Tiger

Sergeant
What's more frightening is standing outside on guard on exercise in the wee small hours and having a Gurkha tap on your foot and whisper "you're OK tommy", then disappear into the darkness!!! :raf:

M

Moz_Magister

hmmm,

makes you wonder what would have happened if someone who didn't like us got in doesn't it?

shettie

Flight Sergeant
TLF - I remember that one! :) - it was the JNCO Cadre from one of the Para Regts (and they arrived by chinook...) - they took ATC that evening - but were twarted a bit by a FS on the roof by the Local room with a flare pistol - the Para did smack him in the mouth though! :) - I'd just gone off shift when the sh1t hit the fan - they went through the whole camp like sh1t off a shovel - story I did hear the next day was that the kite stopped - they piled off - to be met by an "umpire" who was knocked to the ground and demanded "you got any fcukin' blanks pal?"

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Exercise at waddo circa '87.
I stayed in my room, under the bed when anyone came calling, it was the done thing at the time.
I got wind of another one a year or 2 later and went into Lincoln for the weekend.
That's as exiting as it got really. I wasn't much into running about with a pick axe or a wooden rifle.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
We often had the Rocks attacking Boulmer in the early 80's. There aim was to disable the type 84 and 85 radars so the Air Defence of the UK was limited. None of the Rocks were briefed and the Radiation output on these monsters. So to see a Rock dancing around on top of the building which housed these beasts shouting come and get me, seemed surprised that know one did.

The Guard force was scrambled to an incident where one of the Guards was located only to find one of our coloured bretheren nicknamed Huggy dancing with his headphones on and waving a torch about like a mad possesed

T55

Sergeant
Coningsby 1985 ish, 229 OCU were operating from 29 Sqn's site. At around 0500 I was in a HAS control cabin when the Stn tannoy suddenly clicked into life. Rather than an anouncement we heard a conversation between a group of lads discussing in great detail what they were going to do to their wives/girlfriends when the exercise finished. They then continued with what they would like to do with a certain WRAF from PSF. Then there was the sound of a phone ringing and the reply to the caller was "no, it's not us". Then the phone rang again and the tannoy broadcast suddenly stopped. It was the gents from the bomb dump allegedly.

Best tannoy message I have ever heard!

shettie

Flight Sergeant
Wildenrath - early 80's - copper on gate - bored sh1tless - Landrover screeches off the main road - screams up to the gate - 2 guys in NBC suits aboard... "Wossup?" says copper "Active Edge" came the reply... "Hasn't anyone pulled the hooter?" The ex had been called at 03:00, someone at JKQ forgot to include Wilders in the callout - cue - total panic at Wilders as they tried to generate 2 1/2 hours after everyone else!

Fastest way to call Endex? Let a tomb fire a sidewinder across the pan! Endex about 5 minutes after! :)

Chaka

Sergeant
Thanks for that TLF!

I too remember the night Marham got a good kicking! I was hiding in the COC along with the CO and the Grunts couldn't get in ...phew!

I also recall the Grunts all took a dump on the southern taxiway prior to departing, which was nice for MT to clear up the next day.

By the way Bernie SWO died last year.:pDT_Xtremez_26:

Last edited:

fileeth

Corporal
Late 80's - was a liney at that secret airbase somewhere in wiltshire.

Tac-eval has been called, shifts have doubled up and every body is poised.
Sent out with a fellow sumpy to do a routine see-off (down route resupply). See-off commenced and four props are turning and burning and loadie on board, door closed.

Loadie opens door and beckons us on board then closes door. As it turns out at this point the airfield has been attacked etc.. so the aircraft has to sit tight while the scenario plays itself out. Que cups of tea and food for about 1/2 to 3/4 hour. :pDT_Xtremez_27:

Air raid was apparently over and bearing in mind we are oblivious to the goings on and haven't suited up yet we finish the see-off only for an umpire to jump out from behind the houchin to ask us why we are not suited and masked.

Situation explained, umpire happy so gets us to suit and mask and then informs us we have been killed - Que big smile behind gas mask!! :pDT_Xtremez_17:Told to return to hangar as they have just been bomded out and man the phones while that scenario is played out.

Normally when you used to get killed on taceval you then became the 'emergency reinforcemnts' drafted into help the station out (i.e. you were put back into the exercise::(:) Only this time the umpire informed us once the hangar scenario has been played out we could leave as we weren't going to be 'emergency reinforcemnts' and gave us a chit that said we we excempt the taceval and could leave the station.

Needless to say we were sat in the mallard by 12.15 on the first day of the tac-eval as we heard the first all clear siren go off - result:pDT_Xtremez_28:

G

gemarriott

Taceval in LbH mid 70s. I was on the afternoon/night shift, we did 16 on 8 off in those days on exercise so most bodies were on morning/afternoons and only 3 of us on afternoons/nights. Come 0600 and morning shift of 9 or 10 plumbers arriving I am handed a chit by some Cloggie umpire informing me that all the daisies had been slotted and we were to cover their shift till replacements arrived. Replacements arrived at 0600 the following day consisting of half a dozen very old chief's, FSgts and a WO with no buccaneer experience. So there I was a completely knackered 20 yo SAC plumber with 2 CTs and a wobbly out loading aircraft none of them had even seen before. Credit to them though they went easy on me and we had a laugh.

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Maxeval at Largeparts in RAFG mid 80's. Following the 'Air Raid Red' event we stayed at Black and the tannoy ordered 2 personnel from every single HAS on the Bomber wing to conduct a sweep of the externals of their own HAS. Yeh Right, - wait 5-10 mins, phone back to the CoC (pretending to be in the face wellie) and declare an all clear - soon get back to Stn White. Stayed at Black a long time... Further tannoy 'ALL HAS' to conduct a full 100% surround check', aha, must be something out there on the Station. Wait 5-10 again, pretend gassie voice 'All clear in HAS 2*'. Still stays at Black,... WTF is happening??, what are they playing at?? get it found and cleared then we can all stop pratting about. 10 minutes later my HAS phone rings, (Its the SEngO)... listen Cpl*****, get your ar*e out of your seat and check round your HAS NOW - Yessir!!!. Just made it out of the wicket door, through the big bolted door to have my exit immediately blocked by a 6ft black and red tube placed vertically 2ft away from my HAS entrance. Bugger...! that cost me 2 weeks on keys, as well as abuse from the staff in the CoC who had to be fully geared up in the rubber kit for about 45 mins longer than needed. Never mind, I got my Banjos and a donut :pDT_Xtremez_19:

Martin Blank

Sergeant
Was on the most northerly eye spy something in the sky base on exercise in the early 90's.
Spent my 2 days on shift sprinting between bunker and sangers in heavily armed very alert pairs as we were getting visited by the Saturday and Sunday boys.
Luckily for us daisys on evening of night 2 the Swamp thing carrying a minime jumped the fence singlehandedly took out the heads while the rest of his m8's carried out the "knock knock its guard change time" door opens stunned Jaff gets muzzle of m16 with a launcher on pushed in his face on the rest of the site.
end ex day early result :pDT_Xtremez_30:

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Well, whilst on Ord Cpl at Twittering in the early 80s, a long boring night in the guardroom contemplating my navel fluff was ended with a phonecall from the OO.
I got to be the one to flick that little guarded switch in the corner of the room that started the sirens going and woke everyone up at 0-four-fcucks sake :pDT_Xtremez_30:

shettie

Flight Sergeant
I got to be the one to flick that little guarded switch in the corner of the room that started the sirens going and woke everyone up at 0-four-fcucks sake :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Not as bad as the fog horn at Bruggers! :( Fcuking thing was on the roof of the hangar the GRF was in - EVERY fcuking Thursday at 03: 00! the night shift used to meet half way down the workshop in a sheer panic (and it wasn't as if we hadn't heard it before) sheer shock, awe and terror!

:pDT_Xtremez_34:

P

POB

Was in the COC at Marparts for a couple of years and had the pleasure of waking everyone up at stupid O'Clock many times. I'm up; You're all up!

I missed the Paras doing battle, can't remember where I was, but reckon it must have been about 1985 as I was Down South then...Heard many stories including the Tower controller saying something like, "You can't touch us, we are flight safety!" to be promptly chinned and put on his ar5e by a big Para, saying "Flight safety that then you cnut!"

Oh, Happy Days!

Goatherdingsplitter

Rebel without a clue
Had a fantastic end to a Taceval at the secret North Cornish base in 79. Got taken out of ASF and told to kit up for trade cover and board a Nimrod for the survival scramble. Normally they just fast taxi down the runway, only this time we got airborne, next stop Gibraltar! Result or what:pDT_Xtremez_31:

Took some explaining to the missus though.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Mid/late 80's at what is now Robin Hood Airport we operated Dominies (used as flying classrooms for Navs). Their war role was Short Range Maritime Patrol SRMP know to us all as Shrimp. To be on a Shrimp team was to say the least a tad cushy, the aircraft would deploy (on paper at least) to far flung corners of the UK. My shrimp team destination was always Dyce airport in Scotland. When the hooter went at 05.00 ish everybody on shrimp off into work to load our 3 tonner and travel to jockland by road as the aircraft flew on ahead well that was the theory. In reality we never went anywhere as there wasn't enough trucks to go round so we had a chalked outline of a 3 tonner on the hangar floor. This chalk outline once loaded with spares and ground equipment meant we where off to jockland and so technically off station and not available to be pinged for gash jobs during the exercise. So by 08.00 at the latest game over for the shrimp boys. Home for a breaky and off to the golf course for the day. The exercise lasted 36 hours so endex was always lunchtime the day after the hooter went. Time for another 18 holes the last morning. Into work for around 13.00 to do a full afternoon shift with an early knock off because everbody else was cream crackered. Nice

TLF - I remember that one! :) - it was the JNCO Cadre from one of the Para Regts (and they arrived by chinook...) - they took ATC that evening - but were twarted a bit by a FS on the roof by the Local room with a flare pistol - the Para did smack him in the mouth though! :) - I'd just gone off shift when the sh1t hit the fan - they went through the whole camp like sh1t off a shovel - story I did hear the next day was that the kite stopped - they piled off - to be met by an "umpire" who was knocked to the ground and demanded "you got any fcukin' blanks pal?"

There was definitely one where all hell broke loose out of the back of a Herc, I watched it land. I had been sent over from TPF to 27 doing an NPT change to give them a war goer and was having a sneaky tab out the back of the HAS. We felt invincible inside HASs in them days, that was before what we saw what a thousand pounder did to the ones in Iraq during GW1 of course , but it did stop the nasty pongoes giving us a shoeing!

I did hear that they were about to saw through the wire fence on a special little area past the Victor lines ,and were only discouraged by one of them getting properly savaged by a 'live' release of a police dog, the lads in the towers actually had rounds up the spout, fortunately somebody stopped the shennanigans when the true contents of the site were brought to their attention.

I was saddened to hear about Bernie, he was a good bloke for a SWO. Forever losing his cane when p!ssed in the Bowling Alley/Bop but you knew where you were with him. HM The Queen would often stop to talk to him as he was always immaculate giving a salute at the main gate whatever time she passed through. Indeed she presented him with a black labrador pup one of her favourite gundogs at Sandringham had delivered. It was a proper fleabag but he loved the bones of that dog.

RIP Bernie - one of the old school.

Last edited:

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
At our Mediterranean holdiay camp in the early 90s, Op Jural had wound down a couple of weeks ago when we were briefed on an upcoming station exercise - there hadn't been one for yonks so it needed doing evidently. Op Jural by the way was a push to reinforce the middle east after another of Saddam's sabre rattling speeches and good old Akro had been a buzz with Hercs, 10s, Nimrods, Timmys, Tonkas and a few civvy charters to boot.
Our boss gave us the brief..
Blah, middle eastern dictator, blah (sounds familiar boss)
Blah sabre rattling, direct threat to ally (hmmm)
Blah Threat also to Akro from local insurgents so base had to be defended (fair enough)
Blah Big push from UK to resupply, buses to be used to simulate aircraft coming and going which TASF were to handle as if they were Hercs, 10s, Timmys.....!!!!
Boss, boss, stop a sec! We've just done all that for real, WTF do we need to simulate it for now?
A good point well presented and, remarkably, taken on board by the powers. It didn't happen.