• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ex Female recruits get compo for having to march like the Male recruits!

FOMz

Warrant Officer
This is just plain wrong. The person in the article says she was going to be an Air Traffic Controller... But she would have to have passed the course first... Also she couldn't afford the training in the civillian world? I'm wuite sure the CAA pay if you make the grade to get on their scheme... Did she even try or was it a case of not meeting the basic qualifications... So we'll just ignore that bit.

She got compo once... She shouldn't be able to claim twice. Whats that I hear outside? An ambulance going down the road? Maybe Ms Davis should hobble along after it to get even more compo.....

Last edited:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Ah, now there's the problem ain't it?
Compensation for injuries is not the same as 'loss of earnings'.

But I agree, this sort of thing is absolutely daft.
The Injuries compensation should have loss of earnings attached.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
It 'assumes' she became a controller eventually..... There is a chance she would have failed... To get more money than someone injured in the line of duty in a battle zone stinks.

4everAD

Sergeant
I'm shocked by this, it has always been a laugh trying to watch the shorter amongst us try and match when the marker is 6 foot 6, now thanks to this ruling we'll never see it again. I can't believe this ever got to court, I mean who'd have ever thought you'd have to march when joining up, what next getting sued for wearing a beret that mucks your hair up? Money grabbing so and so's.

Mag2grid

Corporal
Mega! And when I screwed both my knees after phase 2 and a few years on a sqn they didn't pay a penny. Utter cnuts.

Expect more of this, at Cranwell female recruits were backcoursed owing to "over striding" injuries every other week..2 of those later got med discharged, imagine the payout there!

N

NotAnIDOYet

Remember that the story is in the Daily Wail - there may be some embellishment. There is also a suggestion that she was "advised" to sue - who by and what is their take on it.

As for the part about carrying heavy packs and marching - I am not sure that anyone does this at RTS but I am prepared to be corrected. Being able to carry your own kit, helmet, webbing, rifle, osprey etc - is that not just part of service life nowadays? Surely if someone cannot do this, regardless of sex, then they have no place in the RAF nowadays.

I also want to know what part of ATC is "office-based" - I am pretty sure that Tac-ATC, BSN ATC and all the others are not particularly office based.

Poor reporting is the issue here - wait until the story is picked up by a proper journalist and lets see what the real issues are.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
DM said:
If the RAF has erred in its training procedures it is because of society’s obsession with gender equality.

In a nutshell. Damned if it does and damned if it doesn't, are we operating a military organisation or the Women's Institute?

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Reading this thread it has just occured to me that when I joined up all those years ago I had hair; now through all that time spent wearing a beret I'm bald. Right, where's my lawyer?!:pDT_Xtremez_19:

stereolab

Station Cashier
This is just plain wrong. The person in the article says she was going to be an Air Traffic Controller... But she would have to have passed the course first... Also she couldn't afford the training in the civillian world? I'm wuite sure the CAA pay if you make the grade to get on their scheme... Did she even try or was it a case of not meeting the basic qualifications... So we'll just ignore that bit.

She got compo once... She shouldn't be able to claim twice. Whats that I hear outside? An ambulance going down the road? Maybe Ms Davis should hobble along after it to get even more compo.....

Unusually the article does not give the usual line of guff that the individual, despite not getting through basic training, was destined to become an Air Marshall.

1Referee

LAC
This is crazy, I did the Lord mayors this year and the girls gave as good as they got, Am I assuming that me at 5ft 8 has a different stride to a woman taller and 20 years younger??? Where will this end?

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
I disagree that this was crazy.

If the Wail is to be believed, the RAF's defence was compromised because someone/some people decided to ignore the Service's own policy.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I disagree that this was crazy.

If the Wail is to be believed, the RAF's defence was compromised because someone/some people decided to ignore the Service's own policy.

Exactely. The RAF can only blame those who ignored the policy for mixed squads to march at 27 inches not 30.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Exactely. The RAF can only blame those who ignored the policy for mixed squads to march at 27 inches not 30.

I wonder when this policy actually came into force? Possibly after these 3 potential WAF's got injured?

I can't recall the policy being in force during my Phase 1 training @ Halton 15yrs ago. I remember the WAF's on my intake being spread out amongst the flight (Fnar Fnar! - one actually did, it earned her the nickname 'Black Beauty' after she cried out 'Ride me Stallion!' whilst getting her back doors smashed in, whilst being watched by the entire room....) as per the normal height order.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
The 'report' also fails to mention that a 6'+ bloke developed a PSI... But that would spoil the story wouldn't it?

Could it possibly be that they just weren't physiologically suited to military service...?

Possible causes touted at the time, and afterwards were that it was to do with bone density, poor diet, and a lack of exercise when they were younger (bones are like muscles, without exercise they're weak).

The daily wail also fail to mention that hardly anyone matches with a 30" pace - not even those shining examples of drill perfection QCS. The 30" pace is mainly used for marking out of parade squares...