• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Enough is enough

4everAD

Sergeant
Am I the only one who is fed up of reading about how joining the Reserves is such a good idea? Every time I look at the MOD homepage it is the main story. How about admitting that "you're" never going to recruit the amount of Reserves needed and start concentrating "your" efforts on keeping the guys in the Main Forces happy? Sometimes it feels like I'm a second class Airman compared to all the fuss about being a Reserve.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Burn the witch!!!!!! How dare you speak such heresey....

It's all a numbers game, attest them before med and Fitness Test and the stats look much better. Scratch the surface though...

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
One of the lads who PVR'd last year showed us a letter the other day offering him a wedge of money to come back in at his old rank with same pay......

As he's off-shore now you can guess what his reply was.......

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
Enough is enough

^^^ same thing with a lad who left last year. He showed me a letter offering him to come back as a reservist with £10000 tax free golden handshake... He too is working offshore and will not be replying.

This message was sent using my thumb.
7795a48167b0bec1ea8bed61a649ea3f.jpg

Last edited:

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
Less than eight weekends a year though... Personally I think some will bite. For me though when I leave I will leave for good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
I just sit and laugh at the new RAF adver on TV, apparently techies now do all their work on the aircraft in blues and don't need hearing protection either.
You have to like how when thye talk about the reserves they show techies - there aren't any aircraft techie jobs in the reserve (i'm sure their get out clause will be a quick mention of the word 'Regular' in the advert).
I doubt i'll get a letter as i was made reduandant and didn't pvr but i know what the answer would be if i did get one.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The reserves have started recruiting techies dude.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
True story, there is a Fat Chief that used to be a Fat Useless Chief at Cottesmore now a reservist at Brize as a Hangar Manager.

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
well cover me in eggs and flour and bake me for 40 minutes......

Things really are bad. Question has to be are all the reservist A/C Tech's hanger wallahs, if not how do they keep them type current?
Or are we talking full time reservist as opposed to weekend warriors?

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
There are FTRS and PTVR techies now. What the PTVR techies do I am not sure as yet.

The 10k is not tax free and is paid over 4 years, roughly £2.5k a year.

On top of that you do get top rate bounty which is tax free and approx £1700 a year.

Go back at your regular rank and pay grade.

circa £4.5k is not bad pay for 15 days a year 'work'.

Pension is not affected.

I still probably can't be arsed though.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
Reservists must do 1 working weekend a month, plus 2 week summer camp (so 37 days per year), and be in date CCS and RAF FT to get their bounties.

I can't comment on the £10k bonus... But the above is gospel.