• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do Not abuse MSCU.....

C

Comms or Death

I'll raise my hat to Chef's and stewards that serve on MSCU... after serving on several exercises and operations they alway produce excellant results...no matter what the contiditions they encounter... (and with very little money per head) ..... respect to you all.....

sausage2

Decorated war hero
Administrator
1000+ Posts
I'll raise my hat to Chef's and stewards that serve on MSCU... after serving on several exercises and operations they alway produce excellant results...no matter what the contiditions they encounter... (and with very little money per head) ..... respect to you all.....

Have to agree, they do a top job in poor conditions, it's a shame cooks on camp can't perform as well.

Wg Cdr ComfeyChair-Smyth

*****istrator
Having spent a large majority of my career being detatched I have to agree - when In Ali Al Selem, the food was excellent. Goia del Col - Excellent, Kahbul - Excellent. Basrah - Good. - 7 months on HMS Illustrious/Invincible - Shite, in fact the only people on board who are allowed to whistle are the cooks - proves they are not eating the food (why the fook they would want to was beyond me):confused:

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
Yer, top nosh in the desert, you forgot to add Thumbrait, top nosh in the field kitchens there too......whatever happened to the portakabins???? We need them on Telic now :(

C

Comms or Death

Thumrait Portacabins....

Thumrait Portacabins....

The porticabins where moved up to seeb, about 2 years ago... when the Good old USAF left Seeb....the brits had to actually spend some money instead of sponging of the Yanks...They are located on the other side of the airfield... about 1/2 km away from the Local Carrefour Supermarket....They moved the Kitchen and the cooking staff.... excellant food is still being produced by those guys....

F

FOMP

I agree, the only thing that kept us sane in Kosovo was the thought of being able to nick a Landrover on a sunday lunchtime and driving down to BRITFOR Centre for some delicious grub cooked up by RAF and Army chefs. Credit where credits due. Eek just remembered about pay as you dine, I bet the contractor's cooks won't be a patch on RAF ones.

FOMP :eek:

M

MiniG

Back in the early Basrah days, before tent city, the high points of the day were indeed mealtimes, as mentioned earlier, top nosh prepared and served under extreme conditions.

Well done to all the lads & lasses ! :D

(The main idea was to get there before everyone else so as not to be caught outside the tent and have to queue in that awful stench from the broken drains of the old hotel opposite!)

(Anyone else remember that foul memory?)

B

Bitter&Twisted

MCSU - always fantastic :) :)

Eek just remembered about pay as you dine, I bet the contractor's cooks won't be a patch on RAF ones.

PAYD is in operation here at Henlow, the quality of food is abysmal, hardly any of the singlies eat in the 'building formerly known as the Junior Ranks Mess'. Judging by the amount of 'George Foreman' grills on display in the kitchens, we must have shares in the company!! :D

Wg Cdr ComfeyChair-Smyth

*****istrator
I do indeed remember the stench MiniG, and with the hand washing facilities outside, just alcohol gel!

Been informed that PAYD will not be happening at Lyneham as they cannot take thechance on the food actually improving!

R

Rustysdad

Thanks for the kind words, nice to know Chefs are appreciated. I spent 9 years on MCSU as it was known then (now 3MCS) and had a great time all over the World. Probably the best job for a Chef at the time, hard work but rewarding seeing your tired little faces come in and cheered up by our meagre offerings... Happy days.:pDT_Xtremez_18:

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Big shout to MCSU, they can cook a four course meal, and a decent one at that from nothing more then sand, a rock anda dead scorpion lol.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
On a Norwegian FOB all the newspapers dissappeared one week, to much moaning. Until Fri when the MCSU guys gave them back complete with Fish and Chips in em... That was a thing of beauty after freezing my nuts off doing a gyro change. It's that little bit of thought that makes a difference:pDT_Xtremez_30:

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
I remember them arriving at Ali Al Salem to take over from the Bangladeshi's that were running the kitchen - the MCSU boys were top notch and made such a difference to morale.

Forestfan

SAC
Certainly get my vote. Can you hurry back to RIAT as well please, we all really miss the Southside Diner!!

C

Combat Rickshaw

The smiling Baker Boys were a life saver in Al's Garage - that and the fact that you could get almost anything out of a Yank in exchange for an invitation to the Roundal for good old Brit grub - we even managed to get a nice pair of desert boots from them for one SAC who had suffered from the fact that two months before we went to war the MOD appeared to have sold all our desert combats to pikeys operating out of High Wycombe high street...

Top desert nosh, epsecially the curries with all the trimmings (and spicy, unlike the american stuff that had gon through the Blander (TM)!) and proper roast beef with yorkies!

Being able to come up with a three course meal option that incluided salmon fishcakes out of a ten man rat pack was also one to remember........ Good effort and long may it continue in the face of PAYD pain

P

POB

Back in 19 Oh dot...Living in PDC, Croatia. Along comes a couple of days of wind and rain, so much so that the camp is swamped out...Tents overturned, everyone wet, most kit at least partially ruined. Most of us were up all night trying to secure dry ground/helicopters and tents.

Next morning, from what was left of their tents MCSU came up with the tastiest bacon and egg banjos it is possible to imagine, perfect morale booster for a whole deployment that had been awake and wet for ages...

J

Justacabbie

Serious note though! These guys are amazing, having worked in many places that they have provided (EXCELLENT) food. In hot climates where outside temp is over 40c in kitchens with temperatures around 60c, and still some witty banter to boot.

Hats off to you guys!

And thanks too!