• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Diversity courses to disappear?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Perhaps something else in the pipeline of expensive outsourced training?

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
So that saves me about 6hrs a year as the last time I did it, the old skill I learnt in the mob of 'clicking the mouse button into oblivion' didn't work and I unfortunately had to suffer until my eyes bled.

Could they not just summarise the training into a 30 second video titled 'Be nice to people and don't be a ****?'.

StickyFingers

Sergeant
Said this a million times as soon as you group people into: sex, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, etc... it becomes divisive, the exact opposite of the inclusive environment we all set as a personal objective every year. MLK said it best all them years ago, everyone should be judged on the content of their character. A **** is a **** no matter where they fall on the spectrum of humanity. And some people aren't going to get along, it's just how it is.

unruly1986

Sergeant
So that saves me about 6hrs a year as the last time I did it, the old skill I learnt in the mob of 'clicking the mouse button into oblivion' didn't work and I unfortunately had to suffer until my eyes bled.

Could they not just summarise the training into a 30 second video titled 'Be nice to people and don't be a ****?'.
You can ’smash click’ through the current training on the CSL.

unruly1986

Sergeant
I’ve been on a few of the most recent dial ins with the Perm Sec, CDS, etc. I always stick a question on the Slido asking how many of the panel are up to date with the mandatory training, but funnily enough it never gets answered.

I can’t begin to imagine the amount of time and effort that must go into maintaining spreadsheets on mandated training across the MOD.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
The amount of mandatory box-ticking courses my team and I are made to complete is ridiculous.

Unconscious bias training hasnt stopped nepotism, favouritism or marginalisation. Its as rife as ever.

Last edited:

gray

Sergeant
I’ve been on a few of the most recent dial ins with the Perm Sec, CDS, etc. I always stick a question on the Slido asking how many of the panel are up to date with the mandatory training, but funnily enough it never gets answered.

I can’t begin to imagine the amount of time and effort that must go into maintaining spreadsheets on mandated training across the MOD.

Now there's a thought.... might do the same next time :)

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts

Not just the MOD - my area has "a spreadsheet for all occasions". Funnily enough, very few are up to date simply because 4 or 5 departments are all running their own spreadsheet - the concept of sharepoint is completely lost on them.

In regards to your Slido comment - we also have this format for dial-in calls, but the Senior Leaders are expected to answer the top five "liked" calls during the conference call. If for some reason they dont, either the moderator or one of the employees will ask them on the open questions section. Is this the same in MOD, that you have a moderator and questions from the floor, and if so, perhaps ask them in person?

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
After the piece on BBC News tonight which featured bullying in the Forces and highlighted the case of ex-RAF officer 'Harry', expect a growth industry of advisers and briefings about how to behave.....as if currently serving folks need another PC-driven campaign.

If you didn't see the piece, Harry is a former engineering officer - he featured in recruiting adverts - who was beaten up by a pissed-up grunt in what he considers a race-related assault when he was detached to the Falklands.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
So yet again there will be a campaign stating the bleedin' obvious - don't get pissed up & beat up other folks...... As far as I can recall, and I joined up in 1976, beating up other people has never been considered acceptable behaviour and was always 'dealt with' without lots of glossy, right on, campaigns. Strange that it seems to have become more prevalent (if the press and campaign groups are to be believed....) since such campaigns have more prevalent and disciplinary constraints appear to have eased in favour of 'administrative action'..... Makes you wonder.

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Times and attitudes change. I wonder if there is more to this ex-officer's case than what's been broadcast. Assaulting an officer used to be ( don't know if it still is) very serious offence and usually warranted instant jail time. The officer corps used to close ranks and protect each other - doesn't seem to have happened in this case.

4everAD

Sergeant
Times and attitudes change. I wonder if there is more to this ex-officer's case than what's been broadcast. Assaulting an officer used to be ( don't know if it still is) very serious offence and usually warranted instant jail time. The officer corps used to close ranks and protect each other - doesn't seem to have happened in this case.
The Army Cpl was found not guilty at Court Martial, as far as the law is concerned there is nothing to see here move along. With things being as they are nowadays if there had been the slightest chance of convicting him and announcing how progressive the military is dont you think they would have taken it?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
It may have changed over time, however, certain areas and most areas at certain times were known to be challenging down south, if the court found the Corporal not proven then there will be more to this story than the one sided explanation given by one side of the interaction.

It seems a shame that one event seems to have ruined this guys entire service.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I have said this before but maybe not on this forum:
“Racism” is not normally intended (yes, there are many publicised exceptions where it is intended!) and normally it is not the ‘offender’ who sees racism, but the offended.
I grew up with a kid called curly - cos he had curly hair.....it wasn’t until a few years ago that ‘we’ realised that this was in fact a ‘racist act’....because somebody else (the offended) told us that.