• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dash Cams

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
I'm thinking of investing in a dash cam however I'm a little bit uncertain of which way to go with this. Are there any other Goaters who have such a device fitted in their cars? If so, please can the following be answered?

1) Are they actually worth shelling out for? I don't want to part with a wadge load of cash only to find they're a worthless trinket.

2) How much is it worth spending on such a device? I have a budget of around £150 to play with.

3) What models are recommended and what features should I be looking for?

4) Can they be turned off and/or removed when not in use? Obviously I don't want one recording constantly or increase the likelihood of my car being broken into. Further to that, eventually I will be doing a lot of driving in darkness - can they be used in poor/no light?

I know these questions are slightly bone but any advice is gratefully received.

foxOneFive

Corporal
I've had one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/DOD-LS460W-Advanced-G-Sensor-Aperture/dp/B00LRPWYTW
for just over a year now, fitted in my works car "can be removed as easy as a tomtom"
As I cover around 150 miles a day on rural roads "white van man head on potential" and market seaside towns "tourists walking out in road"
Picture quality is excellent. Record on a midi sd card on a continual loop which will store around 2 days and then starts
over writing. If anything happens that you want to save "on a file that can't be over written" just push a button and it
saves that file including the previous couple of minutes.
I've been lucky enough not to have had an accident, but as we all know you see so many assholes out there and it's
good to play some stuff back just to see exactly what happened.
Most of your questions should be answered in the above link, and footage on youtube.
Lastly, just remove card from cam and plug in computer and easy playback.
Don't buy a cheap ****ty one, because they really are.
I can't think of a single niggle with above.
Also good for checking out top totty!!

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
I got one of these....

I've only posted that to warn you not to bother with anything this cheap (there are numerous clones of it), its a pile of garbage but then again I suppose the price should be a key indicator of that!. The warning signs were there when I opened the packaging, teeny, weeny instructions that I had to scan and blow up to read, agonizingly translated from chinese (I presume) and almost indecipherable. It does actually work albeit the rear view camera image is reversed and the front view seems OK....until you need it for vital information such as the reg number of another vehicle.
A week or so ago I was on the way to the local curry house to pick up the take-away when I rounded a corner in a 30 zone to be confronted with a black car overtaking two other vehicles at speed on the wrong side (my side!) of a pedestrian refuge. It happened so fast I didn't have time to swear but felt reassured that the dashcam had captured the incident and that I could fill in the online form the local constabulary provide to report such incidents. One minor problem, when I stuck the SD card in my PC to view the video it had happened in such a blur that the car was only in shot for less than a second and its registration could not be discerned at all, no matter how hard I tried and the online form clearly states that without a reg number any reported cases won't be followed up...b0llo0cks!!

I post that simply as a illustration of the importance of buying quality; a camera that captures in a higher resolution may have been able to grab the reg number of the moron's vehicle and at least I could have tried to do something about it.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I was given one of these http://www.nextbase.co.uk/dashcams/in-car-cam-512g/ for Christmas.

I didn't ask for it and was a bit dubious about the quality (a bit 'plasticy') on first handling. However... on trying it.... the picture quality and sound quality are top rate, around 3 - 4 hours of driving time recorded (looping) in 3 minute chunks but any sudden impact or jolting (even big potholes) will automatically preserve the current file and it can also be preserved by pressing a button. It also records G in 3 dimensions as well as the speed and location. On playback on your PC the accompanying software presents the route for each 3 minute segment with the moving current position on a Google map along with the current and average speed for that segment. Night pictures are also very good quality, but limited by your headlights' range (or street lights).

It fits and removes just like a Satnav and plugs into your normal lighter socket.

Like many gadgets, the day to day value may be minimal (how often do you want to replay 3 hours on the M25!!!!!) but I reckon if ever I am in a 'not my fault' accident it could provide invaluable evidence.

foxOneFive

Corporal
:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Oppsy, but yes. Don't buy a cheap one....

Easy for me to be in "smug mode" coz two of my mates bought cheapies.

The sound quality is also very good on mine, so very handy when on hands free to your boss and great evidence
when they tell you a lot of doggy doo.

Can also with the touch of 2 buttons take "stills" Only records when engine running or ignition on.
Sure there are many examples out there. Including "hard wiring" in for 24/7 security type stuff

El_Boomo

LAC
I use a 'cheapish' sjcam as a dashcam. Bought it as a cheap alternative to a go pro (paid around 50 quid) but have ended up with it mounted in the car.

Does all the basic dashcam stuff like looping and auto-on with the ignition. But it is pretty basic. The sound and video quality (I use 720p @30fps) are absolutely fine for it's usage.

I'm happy enough with it that I'm considering buying one of their newer 4k models aswell instead of forking out for a go pro.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Get a holder and use your mobile. You don't need to keep the footage if no dramas. So, in a services delete and start again on long journeys.

Mag2grid

Corporal
I wouldn't be without mine, I go to so many jobs where a dash cam have saved someone's insurance and also help prosecute motorists for dangerous or careless driving.

1) Are they actually worth shelling out for? I don't want to part with a wadge load of cash only to find they're a worthless trinket.

See the above.

2) How much is it worth spending on such a device? I have a budget of around £150 to play with.

At that money your looking at the Road Angel Halo a front and rearward a facing camera. I've got a Transcend Pro200. £80 on Amazon

3) What models are recommended and what features should I be looking for?

depends on what you want, wifi connection seems to be pretty common now if you need to update its software as well as backing up footage. The wider the field of view the more of the road it will record. Personally I'd get one with the "crash feature" where in the event of a massive g impact it stores the previous 30 seconds footage.

depending on what you get I'd recommend you get it hard wired to the car rather then having cables loose in the cabin

4) Can they be turned off and/or removed when not in use? Obviously I don't want one recording constantly or increase the likelihood of my car being broken into. Further to that, eventually I will be doing a lot of driving in darkness - can they be used in poor/no light?

Because of where most people,put them (rear view mirror) it isn't a big problem (theft) but majority of the smaller ones or their holders are permanently in place. My Transcend and holder can be removed. Most have GPS as well so there isn't a big market for nicked dash cams. Clearly someone looking for a quick couple quid is going to break into your motor and try their luck either way.

Turning off and on - see my comment about hard wiring.
Night driving - most are ok if on lit roads, however if your on a dark country road then some will struggle unless you have the mother of xenon headlights.

ref using your mobile in a holder - to be avoided in my opinion. You're involved in an accident and want to make a complaint to police about the other driver and their driving, you wave your phone at me with the video. I can only,use the footage under certain circumstances and to do so I need to seize your phone to preserve evidence. Ball ache for you. What would you rather be without a dash cam or phone to help prove/convict someone who has caused you to be in an accident? Plus I can view the footage on some dash cams, seize the memory card and give the camera back to you.

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Getting my dash cam was one of the best decisions I made with my car. I bought it from my car dealership and got it hard wired in as I didn't want to waste the 12v port. Front and back facing with a static crash feature where if my car has got the engine off and it detects a bump it will start to record and hopefully catch them. This feature has been invaluable after some Doris side swiped my car while I was out shopping and didn't leave a note. All caught on cam and a quick trip to the police sorted it out.

I also managed to get some money off my car insurance. Not all companies do give money off but it is becoming more common. As it removes that ambiguous side of claims it is often a nice discount, I had £150 off my yearly premium.

Be aware though that they can be a double edged sword though. Also if you do have a dash cam and you are involved in an incident you are required by law (at least in Scotland) so submit the footage to your insurance company/police as evidence.

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
I've got a Roadhawk in my car, it's stuck to the top of the screen behind the mirror and has front and rear facing cameras. I got an adapter for the 12V socket as i have a Road Angel as well, the wiring for the Hawk is behind the dash along the footwell and up the A pillar and in the roof lining to the unit (took about 10 minutes) and the wiring for the Hawk is all hidden in the dash as well. It tracks location and speed and displays it on screen when you down load the memory card to your computer. looks like this - this is the old version not the newer high distinction one.
Probably due an upgrade to be honest.

It's come in handy a couple of times when ****wits try to straight line a roundabout when i'm in the outside lane, etc and they try to blame me for almost causing an accident. Point out the camera and they generally skulk.

sid the squid

Sergeant
I have had one for about 2 years now, and yes its a cheap one (11.95 off amazon, its now 8.95ish) and have never had a problem with it. I put a decent sd card in and plugged the camera into fag charger and away you go its that simple. I have had a few incidents but thankfully nothing serious but i have noticed some drivers do back of a bit when they see it. As for using it as evidence if there is an accident i do believe the police and insurance companies will look at it and will use it if necessary. I would recommend it to anyone for a small price and piece of mind

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
These are a must, due to hardly impartial local police and the amount of crazy drivers and resultant accidents.

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

Old John

LAC
I have a Nextbase 200 series (HD). not worth getting a cheap one as it doesn't read number plates.
Worth getting it hard wired by Halfords, then it turns itself on and off with the ignition. Total cost around £100.
Have a look at this site: http://www.idiotukdriversexposed.com/ and think how handy it would be to give footage to the cops as they can't take any action without evidence.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Definitely going to replace the piece of junk I've got with something more up to the job.

Isn't it a crying shame however that we've got to go down this route just to offer ourselves some sort of comeback on the increasing number of arrogant, impatient or just plain incompetent people out there driving motor vehicles.

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
Quite a few insurers are wanting drivers to take up the Dashcam route due to whiplash claims being so high and offer a reduction on premiums. I am not too sure but a good lawyer could clear this up. Having a camera in the vehicle or on a cyclist helmet would be recording public without permission and is infringement of personal space. As we have CCTV and webcams in bars all stating recorded premises, would dash camera users have to display a sticker declaring onboard camera in use first.