• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CIPD Professional Membership

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I agree with what you are saying as 8:3 is obviously not on if there was similar interest from 'ruperts' and 'erks' but what we don't know is how many of each actually applied and the criteria used to 'select'.

cup of corrrfeee

I think from what FN & TBJ say below, the invitation was only extended to a select gathering. This is probably why, despite registering my interest earlier in the year, I knew nothing about this pilot scheme.

TBJ - You made a comment about being years away from being able to apply. Does that mean that Junior Officers are also not included? No disrespect (I know you have previous service & experience), but I'd be seriously peeved if my 22+ yrs were not enough, but a 1st tourist 23 yr old Fg Off was eligible!

raflad67

Corporal
I know the TS quite well, and I know the answer to my own question. However, I am out of the RAF now, but I do feel that the youngsters are not being represented.

Can't comment on the current work being done for our youngsters but when I am back at work I will endeavour to find out more.

raflad67

Corporal
I think from what FN & TBJ say below, the invitation was only extended to a select gathering. This is probably why, despite registering my interest earlier in the year, I knew nothing about this pilot scheme.

TBJ - You made a comment about being years away from being able to apply. Does that mean that Junior Officers are also not included? No disrespect (I know you have previous service & experience), but I'd be seriously peeved if my 22+ yrs were not enough, but a 1st tourist 23 yr old Fg Off was eligible!

All I recall is that people were invited to put their names forward (don't know how many did and at what rank level) and then a decision was made by Branch/Trade Sponsor with CIPD of who to take forward.
(I do have a list at work of those 'selected')

I would however be astounded if, as MWD questions, JOs with little experience are included at the expense of (especially) SNCOs with years of experience behind them.

I only went for it because it was relatively cheap at £750! However, whilst I am happy to have been successful (and it was not particularly difficult IMO) as I have said previously and has been mentioned, a CIPD Qual is the way to go for acquiring a knowledge base and anyone can go for these albeit it can be quite expensive so I would suggest full utilisation of your ELC!

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer

Realistically, I will have to wait until about halfway through an OC PSF tour before I have ticked all the eligibility boxes, despite my previous experience. A WO PSF, FS Chf Clk or possibly even a Sqn Adj (depending on the Sqn and how devolved you are) should be able to meet the criteria more easily.

KingGuin

Sergeant
So I ask my question again, who is looking after the trade? Who is trying to get trade qualifications, vocational or otherwise, accredited to civilian qualifications?

FN you are a very bad man lol. The situation has not, and will not change until the personality changes. However in his defence the TS has been (for him) relatively proactive. Nonetheless those of us who contiributed to the research resulting in the current initiative realise the info is, in the majority, regenerated.

Realistically, I will have to wait until about halfway through an OC PSF tour before I have ticked all the eligibility boxes, despite my previous experience. A WO PSF, FS Chf Clk or possibly even a Sqn Adj (depending on the Sqn and how devolved you are) should be able to meet the criteria more easily.

If you, or anyone else, has a degree or evidence of recent study at a higher lever, FE colleges may accept you without the experience. I'm in the last couple of months of the HRM PGDIP and TBH its not difficult just time-consuming.

raflad67

Corporal
I think we are now talking about 2 different things in this thread:

1. CIPD via Professional Membership Route - following the RAF Pilot Scheme.

2. MA HR through Staffs Uni that has recently been expanded to include FS's (but who have to complete 2 units that WO and above do not have to).

I am yet to look into No2 and the costs involved so if anyone has any details then please let me know.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Unbelievable

Unbelievable

Cor blimey I agree a bit with TBJ now that makes a change.

HR is now generally considered to be a strategic function of business rather than a purely business process function (ie the old Personnel Dept type image [PSF]), whilst there are processes that HR Professionals get involved in the main push is into talent management, ER, innovation and new ways of working (OD) that give a business an edge and therefore competitive advantage and profitability.

My own view is that the majority of Junior Personnel (Officers and ORs), me included, would find it hard to really justify the PAC route to Chartered Status (Fellow or Member), somebody working in P1 (disciplinary & greivance) may just be able to blag it - long shot. However, they should be able to gain Assoc membership with a bit of elaboration and research and a short course (eg; the new Cert HRP).

Even if you do the 2/2.5/3 year DG DIP or MA HRM course you do not gain chartered status, you would still need to submit a CPD (normally with 10 years details) for assessment before you get this status. Top Tip Start your CPD today.

CIPD membership is based on Knowledge, Skills and their demonstrable Application.

I think that anyone thinking about getting the CIPD ticks in the box should get onto the CIPD Website and have a look at the Professional Map to see where they are.

Linky Linky Link

Additionally, I have a HR Skills Check List that I can PM to anyone with a passing curiosity.

By the way I'm no expert on HR but I am in the CIPD system and all the above is just my point of view.

T

TDJ

RAF Lad - you mention the MA in HR opportunity through Staffs Uni.

Whilst not undertaking that course I have been on the MBA version, offered through the same Uni to RAF WOs and Sqn Ldrs. My advice is really one of caution and coming from the MBA perspective.

The MBA that is being offered, whilst being exceptionally good vfm if using your ELCs (£800 for an MBA if you gain advance standing at Sqn Ldr level), has been rushed through massively. In this I mean that the thought and effort that has been put into it by the Staffs Uni academic staff has been very poor. For context, the first residential week was centered on Economics and Marketing. The Econ lecturer was not even an economics expert but a trained accountant who had never taught economics before. Whilst a nice bloke, he had done no prior preparation, was unsure of his subject area, was using someone elses power point slides (that quite often came as a shock) and was a tad uninspiring as he cantered through an entire undergrad economics module at breakneck pace. Even more dissapointing was the follow up - with any distance learning course you would expect some form of facilitated tutoring online to support the residential - there has been none, indeed the compromise to an extremely shoddy start was to give 4 essay style questions 3 weeks before the exam and tell the cohort that 2 of them would be in the exam - overall a very unprofessional approach for a Uni that was happy to puport that the RAF was its biggest and most important corporate client!! Equally the Marketing element to the module wasn't much better either.

So why am I ranting about the MBA - my advice is to find out who is on the HR MA and ask them about the level of support, interaction, tutoring they are receiving post the residential week - if it is like the MBA then my advice is to think very carefully about the course before you proceed. Whilst you will pay more elsewhere you will probably find that you get what you pay for!

Happy to bleat more if required!

raflad67

Corporal
Thanks for that. I will not be doing it in any case.

I may just go for the new Level 5 Diploma in Human Resource Management as I really want to gain some underpinning knowledge and this seems ok although that said, I am still looking!