• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CIPD Professional Membership

E

effinhell

Anyone know how the pilot went and if it will be taken forward for all?

raflad67

Corporal
I did the Pilot but I am not in work at the moment so not sure of the update.

Decent way of obtaining Professional Membership IMHO; I actually enjoyed doing the work and the TS should be applauded for his work in this area.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Assoc CIPD

Assoc CIPD

I expressed an interest in upgrading to Assoc membership through the pilot, however, as I'd already completed the CPP and was halfway through the graduate Scheme I was told that I wasn't a fair candidate for the scheme.

However a few bits of paper (CPD) over a period of time sent in and a new card came throught he post for Assoc Membership, nice to have and has increased the hit rate on my CV, it appears to display an ability level that HR staff should have as a starting point (Advisor and above level).

As an aside if anybody is about to come out in the very near future there is a big issue with transferring sectors, most employers are specifying a sector and kinda ignoring you if you do not have that kind of experience (not all employers but a big majority at the moment).

Last edited:

raflad67

Corporal
I expressed an interest in upgrading to Assoc membership through the pilot, however, as I'd already completed the CPP and was halfway through the graduate Scheme I was told that I wasn't a fair candidate for the scheme.

However a few bits of paper (CPD) over a period of time sent in and a new card came throught he post for Assoc Membership, nice to have and has increased the hit rate on my CV, it appears to display an ability level that HR staff should have as a starting point (Advisor and above level).

As an aside if anybody is about to come out in the very near future there is a bid issue with transferring sectors, most employers are specifying a sector and kinda ignoring you if you have that kind of experience (not all employers but a big majority at the moment).

Eleven people did the pilot (mostly officers - 8 I think) not sure if all were successful or whether it is carrying on and if so when and for how much dosh. I was happy to do it but to be honest I need the knowledge that a CIPD qual would give me - quite happy with the management aspects of HR but I need some underpinning knowledge especially from an employment law perspective so may go for this.

Can you expand on your final bit please mate?

Thanks

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
No Probs

No Probs

Can you expand on your final bit please mate?

Thanks

No probs 67, currently in the process of applying for jobs in HR have a very wide net and very happy to travel to get a toe in the HR Industry, one of the beauties of the Internet is that you get to see a lot jobs advertised, however, a lot of other people can also see the jobs so they can apply too.

Anyway off track when I get bounced off, if the email doesn't give a reason, and I have a phone number I give them a ring to find out why (feedback is good and allows you to sort out your CV and Covering Letters) and if I've got all the ticks in the box then it comes down to sector every time. There's quite a bit of discussion on Linkedin and the CIPD website about this, most professionals are against ignoring different sector experience but in practice this is not being followed through.

Here's a quote from a recent reply:

"Thank you for your application to the above position. At this stage I am unable to progress your application further. Our client is ideally seeking an individual who has previous HR experience gained within manufacturing, should this change, I will be in touch."

I ticked all the boxes on the Pers Spec apart from "Sector" but needless to say in the current jobs market there is little chance of a call back for this job.

Just realised this post is a bit negative, but it shouldn't be, there are still plenty of jobs out there and some employers are open to different sectors and some even like ex-military people.

CIPD part or fully qualified does appear to be a licence to work within HR, CPP by the way does not mean part CIPD qualified, it's only a level 3 course. There are big changes within the CIPD membership programme at the moment so make sure that whatever you do is what you think it is.

raflad67

Corporal
Cheers for that.

Sage advice to check the quals are what you think they are as I know about the changes and also that many providers are offering 'old' quals and it is prudent to get the most upto date quals.

Feedback is vital and I like your style of finding out 'why' as it certainly does help you improve the next time....

I am also a big believer in 'right place, right time' too - I keep my eyes open for jobs all the time and will even start applying soon even though I am not due out or PVR'd, however if I got the right vibes I would deffo leave sooner rather than later. I notice on www.totaljobs.co.uk that CIPD does seem to be a pre-requisite for any decent jobs!

Best of luck with your search.

ForgottenName

Trekkie Nerd
I did the Pilot but I am not in work at the moment so not sure of the update.

Decent way of obtaining Professional Membership IMHO; I actually enjoyed doing the work and the TS should be applauded for his work in this area.[/QUOTE]

Was it the Trade Sponsor or the Branch Sponsor who initiated this piece of work?

raflad67

Corporal
I think these figures are about right, and I think that one of the 3 might have been the TS.

So who is looking after the trade then?

Not sure how many actually put their name forward nor the 'eligibility criteria' they used so can't really comment.

Anyone know any details?

KingGuin

Sergeant
I recall that of those selected 3 were not commissioned and one was, indeed, the TS - as I mentioned earlier, full details in the TS mail to Chf Clks earlier in the week. As for whom has been looking after the trade.......quite.

raflad67

Corporal
I recall that of those selected 3 were not commissioned and one was, indeed, the TS - as I mentioned earlier, full details in the TS mail to Chf Clks earlier in the week. As for whom has been looking after the trade.......quite.

As I am away from the office for a while would someone be able to let me know the details of the info sent to Chf Clk's please?

With regard to 'whom has been looking after the trade' - do you/anyone know the breakdown of ranks who put their name forward and furthermore why the TS should not have been included in the Pilot - surely if it is open to all then all means the TS too?

Branch/Trade Sponsor has IMHO done a great job in getting the Pilot Scheme in place in the first place and the trade/branch should be grateful!!

Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
11 took part, with a ratio of 8:3 Commissioned v Non-Commissioned.

That seems a little imbalanced. Are there 8 ruperts for every 3 erks now?

ForgottenName

Trekkie Nerd
Branch/Trade Sponsor has IMHO done a great job in getting the Pilot Scheme in place in the first place and the trade/branch should be grateful!!

I would agree with you if all things were equal. However, I suspect this is more of a branch rather than trade initiative. So I ask my question again, who is looking after the trade? Who is trying to get trade qualifications, vocational or otherwise, accredited to civilian qualifications?

raflad67

Corporal
11 took part, with a ratio of 8:3 Commissioned v Non-Commissioned.

That seems a little imbalanced. Are there 8 ruperts for every 3 erks now?

I agree with what you are saying as 8:3 is obviously not on if there was similar interest from 'ruperts' and 'erks' but what we don't know is how many of each actually applied and the criteria used to 'select'.

cup of corrrfeee

raflad67

Corporal
I would agree with you if all things were equal. However, I suspect this is more of a branch rather than trade initiative. So I ask my question again, who is looking after the trade? Who is trying to get trade qualifications, vocational or otherwise, accredited to civilian qualifications?

You may well be right, so why not email the TS and ask because unless the TS is an E-Goat member then all you will get here is personal opinion and not facts.

ForgottenName

Trekkie Nerd
You may well be right, so why not email the TS and ask because unless the TS is an E-Goat member then all you will get here is personal opinion and not facts.

I know the TS quite well, and I know the answer to my own question. However, I am out of the RAF now, but I do feel that the youngsters are not being represented.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
I looked at the eligibility criteria when it was first announced and concluded that it would be a few years before I would be eligible to apply.

The branch sponsor recently (about 2 weeks ago) announced that accreditation had been extended to FSs as well as WOs so either he or the trade sponsor (or both) are working with CIPD to gain recognition for other ranks. With the best will in the world, however, I don't see most JRs ever gaining accreditation for a CIPD qualification by professional assessment. But there's nothing to stop anyone using their ELCs to study for the qualification.