• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Childcare

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
When I was at Northwood it was costing us around a grand a month FFS!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Breakfast clubs, nice start, but like FOMz I paid a grand a month when i had a little one, luckily i did my last deployment during my wife's mat leave.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Tax deductable?
Wasn't at the time and the MOD dragged its heals brining in the child care voucher scheme which would have provided a bit more help.

Also every time the government put more help out there the Nursery put up its charges, i could never understand the inflation increase and minimum wage increases that they applied over the year.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
My JNCO at Cottesmore was a mother of twins. Her husband was a fireman, who was always OOA. She was a fantastic worker and a huge asset, but she ended up PVRing as the cost of full time childcare was greater than her net salary.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
My JNCO at Cottesmore was a mother of twins. Her husband was a fireman, who was always OOA. She was a fantastic worker and a huge asset, but she ended up PVRing as the cost of full time childcare was greater than her net salary.

Do you remember when the RAF used to effectively "PVR" i.e. sack service women who dared to fall pregnant?

With cases as the one you describe, I've often thought that the MoD and single services sought to punish those women who had children whilst remaining in uniform.

Childcare costs prohibitive? Good that'll learn them and they'll eventually PVR...problem solved.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Do you remember when the RAF used to effectively "PVR" i.e. sack service women who dared to fall pregnant?

With cases as the one you describe, I've often thought that the MoD and single services sought to punish those women who had children whilst remaining in uniform.

Childcare costs prohibitive? Good that'll learn them and they'll eventually PVR...problem solved.

Before my time, but didn't they sack ladies once they paired up.

One thing I never understood was that for the money I was paying the staff were only ever on or just above minimum wage, my fees alone would have covered a months worth of minimum wage for one employee.

Bearing in mind that we should not be having large families anymore as it is destroying the environment, I think child care should be much better supported by the Gov to help working families and lifetime careers for women.

There's going to be a bit of a crisis this summer as a lot of parents have lost access to their summer grand parent provided child care and a lot of providers are not back up to speed, just as people are being dragged back into work.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts

I grew up knowing a lad who's mum was one of the first ex-WRAFs to successively bring a case of unfair dismissal against the MoD for falling pregnant.

Good on her.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Before my time, but didn't they sack ladies once they paired up.
Given that i joined in '76 i can more or less remember all this. IIRC, WRAF had the option to claim an immediate free discharge upon marriage but were automatically discharged when pregnant. There were girls who left immediately upon marriage and others who stayed in so it wasn't a hardship for the girls other than couples of different ranks couldn't serve on the same unit and couples of the same rank couldn't work together.

I remember that when the pregnancy/discharge rule was changed (and backdated) as a result of legal action there were some (i knew one) who admitted having seen the way the wind was blowing and got pregnant in order to get out and then get the compensation afterwards.

Nobody ever made the case that it was discrimination to allow the girls a free discharge on marriage but not the boys......

unruly1986

Sergeant
Ultimately, the cost of childcare is going to have an impact on how many kids people plan to have, and in some cases put people off having kids until they can afford childcare (or even put them off altogether). Less taxpayers for the future.

Where we live we are looking at the best part of a grand a month, mea in that we will start saving a year before we start trying. That’s money that won’t be going into the economy.