• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

charity cycle ride

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
in 2005 i completed a charity cycle ride for cancer research uk. the ride consisted of 1400 miles from Kinloss to St Mawgan via as many stations as i could fit in along the east coast. the ride raised £1500 but ever since, like many who raise money, i have felt the urge to do more. well i am now at the early stages of organising a cycle ride to take place in september 2009.
the ride will be called 'the pilgrimage' and will leave boston united's york street ground heading for plymouth argyle's home park (both teams nicknames are the pilgrims). once there the ride will continue to lands end before heading to john o'groats and returning to york street. the distance covered will equate to approx 1800 miles. i am currently receiving route information from the cycle touring club, contacting boston united and plymouth argyle about the event and compiling a list of sponsors and media contacts. i have set up two 'just giving' sites and will soon have links on here and facebook, as yet incomplete but should be finished shortly. the reason i have set up two pages is because i am raising money for 'cancer research uk' and also 'help for heroes'. both organisations are very important to me and i would like very much to raise as much money as possible for the both of them. people can donate to either or both.
if anyone would like to get involved or has any suggestions etc please contact me. as i say it's early days, but i am getting the ball rolling. cheers.

info on why-

i was born in plymouth but have lived in lincolnshire most of my life. with half my family in lincolnshire and half in the south west i have often made the journey south. when trying to come up with a new charity ride i considered lands end to john o'groats and back but realise that this is an ever more common event. the pilgrimage is i feel an original and hopefully imagination grabbing idea. i, like many others, have lost family and friends to cancer and also have family and friends currently suffering from cancer. cancer affects everyone in some way and requires extensive funding for research.
help for heroes is very important to me, probably even more so since i returned from iraq last year. both i'm sure you will agree are very worthy causes and any help you can give to this challenge is very very welcome.

:pDT_Xtremez_30: :pDT_Xtremez_30: :pDT_Xtremez_30: :pDT_Xtremez_30:

M

monobrow

Good luck on your trek! When you finalise a date, spam the media for attention. If you need a hand with it, gimmie a shout and I'll see what I can work out. BFBS love this kind of thing, and they are now on DAB all over the nation.

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
cheers monobrow, as i said any help or advice is greatly appreciated. trying to generate as much interest, support and sponsorship as possible. had trouble getting support off the raf last time as they can't be seen to favour any specific charity. had to use my leave and sort out my own insurance etc. if anyone has any ideas how i can get some support from the raf i'd love to hear them.

:pDT_Xtremez_30: :pDT_Xtremez_30: :pDT_Xtremez_30: :pDT_Xtremez_30:

M

monobrow

To be fair, thats one that you'll find hard. Most charitable stuff has to be done off your own back and although it's time consuming, can work dividends if you know where and who to ring.

The guys over at the RAF Cycling Club should have enough contacts within the bike industry to pull a few strings for insurance or even sponsorship. Failing that it always helps to have a lot of media coverage, that way you can go to (for arguments sake) Norwich Union, tell them you'll have national coverage on this cycle ride and then would they like to sponsor you. You'll probably find that you will get it either free or at a very reduced rate. Mainly because they will see it as free advertising! For Blue Bull Radio, you would be surprised at what companies will give up for LOCAL advertising, let alone national!

Thinking about it.....What you can do for RAF coverage though, especally as you said you'll be stopping off at camps on your way, is to get hold of your Media Communications Officer. They'll have local (definately) and national (possibly) routes for dishing out press releases. If need be, ask him to get hold of the MCO's at all the other camps to put out a local press release as you'll be stopping by! It probably won't be Glenn Torpy saying good luck to you, but with enough info about word will get round and into the local station glossies.

Last edited:

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
cheers monobrow. not sure i'll be calling in at raf stations on this ride, all depends on the support i receive. all those who wish to join me to ride all or part of the route are welcome. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

KingGuin

Sergeant
Happy To Help

Happy To Help

Foghorn, did JOGLE last year, happy to provide gen on route, accom etc. Would happily join you from Borders to the top and back again if you need the company. Need help, gen, PM! Cheers.

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
raf support

raf support

on my last ride i recieved no support from the raf, had to use my leave and sort out insurance etc. i was told this was because the raf cannot be seen to support any individual charity. i tried through the pti's, station cro, my bosses and the sports board but nothing worked. every time i look through various forces publications however i see charity events supported by the raf. where am i going wrong? please help me as i really am trying to drum up as much support for 'the pilgrimage' as possible.
:pDT_Xtremez_35: :pDT_Xtremez_35: :pDT_Xtremez_35: :pDT_Xtremez_35:

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
minor celebrities?

minor celebrities?

anyone got any ideas for minor celebrities to contact about supporting or getting involved with 'the pilgrimage'?
i'm gonna struggle to raise the profile and get decent coverage on me tod, although i have contacted the bbc, itv, soccer am and my local papers.

any help, support or involvement from any goaters is more than welcome. cheers:pDT_Xtremez_30: