• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CD drive not working

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
My cd driver has stopped working. After I've inserted a cd and closed the draw, nothing! Gone into My Computer, it's not listed there. On Media Player, the now playing tab doesn't show my cd player either. It was working fine yesterday, not today though.
Thanks

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
My cd driver has stopped working. After I've inserted a cd and closed the draw, nothing! Gone into My Computer, it's not listed there. On Media Player, the now playing tab doesn't show my cd player either. It was working fine yesterday, not today though.
Thanks

Damn nuisance, these things. Re-boot, check BIOS settings.
It took me ages to get mine back on.

To quote a well-known Haiku:-

Yesterday it worked
Today it doesn't
Windows is like that.

:pDT_Xtremez_06:

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
If it won't recognise a music CD, it's toast. they're cheap as chips mind. I got a DVD rewriter for £17 on www.aria.co.uk

That's what I think too. I've got a spare, but I can't get it to fit, I've got a Packard Bell and it seems that I need one of their own cd drivers to fit. I'm Looking at getting an external drive, up the town for me tomorrow.
Cheers:pDT_Xtremez_28:

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Damn nuisance, these things. Re-boot, check BIOS settings.
It took me ages to get mine back on.

To quote a well-known Haiku:-

Yesterday it worked
Today it doesn't
Windows is like that.

:pDT_Xtremez_06:

Thanks Ex-Bay, check BIOS settings, doesn't mean anything to me, not that good with computers I'm afraid:pDT_Xtremez_42:

G

grumpyoldb

Spanners,
Did you get an installation CD with it?
Sounds like the drivers have gone awol.

Do a google search for the name of the CD drive and download the latest drivers for it.

Re-install and away you go.

Good luck, matey.

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Spanners,
Did you get an installation CD with it?
Sounds like the drivers have gone awol.

Do a google search for the name of the CD drive and download the latest drivers for it.

Re-install and away you go.

Good luck, matey.

Cheers mate, been trying to get the info from packard's web site, not easy for a techno biff! Hopefully it will be sorted one way or another tomorrow
:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Thanks Ex-Bay, check BIOS settings, doesn't mean anything to me, not that good with computers I'm afraid:pDT_Xtremez_42:

OK.
When your system boots up, you should see some trash, vanishing upwards. If it's like mine, it will include the RAM test. BEFORE it finishes, press the DEL key (your BIOS may have a diffent way, but the principle's the same). You may even see which key to press.
This should take you to a screen full of gobble-de-gook telling you all the wonderful things that are fitted and the options you can choose. You need the screen which tells you that you have a hard drive, how big it is and so on. It should also tell you about whether the sytem thinks you have a CD and what sort.
Have a close look and if it's blank, see if it will offer you the option to fit it; it's only a couple of keys, up down, left, right and maybe ENTER).

If your BIOS says that it DOES recognise the CD, I fear you may have to get a replacement unit.

By the way, you HAVE cleaned the thing, haven't you??

:pDT_Xtremez_15:

PS. One last thing. Packared Bell are not the easiest of machines to work on. They just love having proprietary bits for this and that. Getting separate drivers may prove more difficult that installing a complete new OS.

Good Luck

Last edited:

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Thanks Ex-Bay, I've now tried all that, still no joy, time for a new cd drive.
I tried Device Manager, selected my cd drive and checked for solutions and I got 'This device can not start (code 10)' I've checked for updates on the drivers, I've got the latest driver.
I'm off to town to get a new one.
Thanks

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
I had that once, it turned out to be the disc and not the drive.
Do other discs work in it?

M

monobrow

Even tried a new audio cd, and I've tried the good old turning my pc off and on!
Cheers
That means it's terminal.

As an aside. I've fitted numerous drives to numerous systems and the only ones that need more than standard MS plug and play drivers are lightscribe ones and that's only for the fancy image burning stuff....

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
That means it's terminal.

As an aside. I've fitted numerous drives to numerous systems and the only ones that need more than standard MS plug and play drivers are lightscribe ones and that's only for the fancy image burning stuff....

Agreed, MSCDEX is the only driver you need for any DVD or CD drive (standard Windows one).

The only things left to check before you bin and start anew is that all the connections are properly made and secure (at both the CD drive end and motherboard end), try giving them a wiggle then a firm push to reseat them, also check the "jumper" (small plastic tag on the back of the drive, make sure it's alignment matches what is written on the drive and it's pushed all the way in). Make sure you EARTH yourself before touching any exposed areas of the PC, use the case chassis if it's metal.

Whilst you have the cover off the case, you may want to gently remove any dust or crap that has accumulated in your computer, I "diagnosed" a guys PC problems a while ago and it was purely because of the amount of crap and pet hair in his PC, we used gentle pressurised air to blow all the crap out!

Finally, if this still doesn't work, press DEL or F8 (depending on what your PC says) at startup to enter BIOS (Basic Input/Output System). Have a look under the drive section of the BIOS, if your CD drive isn't showing in some capacity it is kaput, the BIOS is the most basic system readout you can get on a normal PC. Incidentally do NO change any of the BIOS settings without knowing what you are doing - you could cause some damage! This picture is a sample of a BIOS screen (it's a Phoenix version) they all follow similar layout:

phoenix-bios.jpg

Basically what this screen is telling you for this system is he has a 4.3gb hard drive fitted as the master drive in channel A and a CD-ROM drive fitted as the master drive in channel B (most PCs have two channels, although some may have more). Basically, if the BIOS isn't showing your CD drive in one of the channels, its fubar.

Hope this (rather technical) post is some help mate, if you need any more info just ask.

Regards

MP

Last edited:

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Thanks for all the help

Thanks for all the help

Cheers, I've got it working, basically I carried out a partial re-installation via a Packard Bell help programe on my comp. It took about an hour to do and I've had to re-input my e-mail details etc.
The trouble with the type of comp I've got, it's not an easy case of sliding in a new drive, as the opening where the draw comes out is too narrow, so my options are limited to an external drive, which I don't really want, hence the desire to fix my existing drive.
Thanks again for all the help offered, this techno-biff is slowly learning:pDT_Xtremez_28: