• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cargo Handler - Kandahar Afghanistan - suit ex-Mover or Stacker

kevster

LAC
Employed by ATA-GSS and working for OSS (KBR subsidiary) our at KAF - feel free to ask any questions

https://www.bayt.com/en/afghanistan/jobs/cargo-handler-3889632/

Essentials are FLT qualification and experience, warehouse/distribution type experience - ideally suited to ex-Mover or possibly some stackers.

How about ex-armourers? I know the qualifications, skill set, training and aptitude is very different to that of a mover. But the pay is the same.

FootTapper

Sergeant
How about ex-armourers? I know the qualifications, skill set, training and aptitude is very different to that of a mover. But the pay is the same.

Funnily enough - ex Dumpies could well be suitable for the role as long as they've got FLT

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
$4k a month isn't that much unless I'm missing something?

FOMz

Warrant Officer
$4k a month isn't that much unless I'm missing something?

Yup - wages have spiraled downwards there. Most companies are using Nepalese or Bangladeshi's now.. and they come cheap.

When I was contracting in KBL I was on nearly double that..

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Is that £4k a month while you're working. What about time off.

I'm a citizen not a subject

FOMz

Warrant Officer
The contract I was on whilst out there was 12 weeks on, 3 weeks off. But we weren't paid while we were off.

FootTapper

Sergeant
$4k (USD) per calendar month, every month. zero accommodation, food or laundry costs (you just pay for coffee and internet really)

12 weeks on, 3 weeks off rotation (plus travel days) with return flights paid to your home of residence on each rotation.

The Cargo Handler role is entry level, with room for advancement if you're any good.

FootTapper

Sergeant
Yup - wages have spiraled downwards there. Most companies are using Nepalese or Bangladeshi's now.. and they come cheap.

When I was contracting in KBL I was on nearly double that..

The contract I was on whilst out there was 12 weeks on, 3 weeks off. But we weren't paid while we were off.

Were you working as a Cargo Handler in the TMO/Freight yard?

Since you've already compared the salary for a different location, with different payment terms (unpaid R&R) I'd like to think you're at least comparing the same job role.....

kevster

LAC
$4k (USD) per calendar month, every month. zero accommodation, food or laundry costs (you just pay for coffee and internet really)

12 weeks on, 3 weeks off rotation (plus travel days) with return flights paid to your home of residence on each rotation.

The Cargo Handler role is entry level, with room for advancement if you're any good.

I'm not any good. Can I check how bad you can actually be, before getting sacked?

Just checking my viability.

FootTapper

Sergeant
I'm not any good. Can I check how bad you can actually be, before getting sacked?
Just checking my viability.

I knew several guys who used to be really good at their job - all got made redundant while you have forged a successful career on the twin pillars of mediocrity and disinterest.

You'd do great ;)

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Were you working as a Cargo Handler in the TMO/Freight yard?

Since you've already compared the salary for a different location, with different payment terms (unpaid R&R) I'd like to think you're at least comparing the same job role.....

I was on exactly the same pay and contract terms as the guys that were doing that job role for us.

FootTapper

Sergeant
I was on exactly the same pay and contract terms as the guys that were doing that job role for us.

Fair enough - if the guys doing the basic cargo handler job were on $9k+ per month or more then good on them :)

Mind you, there's no snow in Kandahar ;)

The job role is still open for anyone who fancies it