• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Capt Slogs Diorama and Model Making In General

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Captain Slog, well done Sir. Damn good show & thanks for showing it.
(wish I was as good).

Ex-Splitter and Proud

Flight Sergeant
:pDT_Xtremez_28:Well -- it took 8 pages of thread and 5 days of waiting, but in the end the venereal oops… venerable Captain Slog finally produced the goods. Let the abuse begin!

I feel quite misty eyed, not having seen the grass of RAF Mackem-in-the-Mould for so long… ah the green green scotchbrite of Tossford! I can almost smell it…. Or is that the odour of p155 that was always noted to emanate from the old bridge dummy?

I’m surprised that LITS still does not appear to have been installed… I’d have thought the Docs king of Tossford would have put that right!

But you definitely need to go down to LTF (or whatever it’s called now) for some refresher training:
LTF.jpg

They’d never let FLMs marshal aircraft like that! … Or would they?:pDT_Xtremez_06:

Is that an Armourer of the Welsh persuasion chasing Dolly, his favourite sheep? Feeling lucky tonight, I guess – hope she’s a pretty one, isn’t it?.
Dolly.jpg

And another thing!! Where’s the working panlights? Always a highlight, watching the Cap'n work his OTR team to the bone on nights.:pDT_Xtremez_17:

The models were all hand painted (I do not have a spray kit) and were done initially from a present of the Vulcan which I received on my 50th birthday a couple of years ago (!!!). After that it somehow snowballed, egged on by a certain Tin bashing member of the Goat, who incidentally started this post!

FFS there has been some right sh1te and bullsh1t discussed on this thread but you've fcuking won with that one; it was covered in 10 years of dust when I left 3 years ago FFS
:pDT_Xtremez_28:Seconded!! "50th birthday a couple of years ago - my @rse!!" I was still "in" then... although it may have been this century -- just! Fess up Slog – it’s got to be at least 7 years ago.

::p:pS… Before you mutter about not being from Sunderland, I’m not senile; I do remember that you’re only a plastic Mackem (Cue Geordie abuse!)

PPS - Still think it's great really, must be getting soft in my old age

Last edited:

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
As stated, haven’t finished a plastic kit since 94, but here’s some ones I did while in trade training back in the early 1980s (photos taken with an old disk camera and high ASA film, so not good photos).

1-24 Scale Airfix Harrier GR1, modified to a Falklands War GR 3 (Scratch built laser nose and RWR fit)

1-72 Scale Airfix 'Falklands War' Vulcan with open Bomb bay (XM607 of course). Did have undercarriage, but was taken out by a Surface to Air Pillow after a night of drinking Thatchers rocket fuel cider, hence doors shut and repairs done (the reason for the two different shades of dark grey on the underside. No bomb load as I couldn't afford the 6 Airfix Jaguar kits for the 1000 lb bombs (only kit that had them at the time)).

The rest, Tornado is an ADV prototype (F2) modified from the Airfix GR1 kit (new nose and extended fuselage plug made out of plastic card and model filler, Skyflash missiles (Sparrows off an old Phantom kit)., and build out of the box, Frog Canberra B8(I), Aero L39 (Czech Trainer) and Hurricane II, Plus a Tamiya 1-35 scale Chieftain tank and a GR1 Tonka on the shelf (which never got finished).

Attachments

• Harrier.jpg
    Harrier.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 0
  • vuclan.jpg
    vuclan.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 0
  • old room.jpg
    old room.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
:pDT_Xtremez_28:Well -- it took 8 pages of thread and 5 days of waiting, but in the end the venereal oops… venerable Captain Slog finally produced the goods. Let the abuse begin!

I feel quite misty eyed, not having seen the grass of RAF Mackem-in-the-Mould for so long… ah the green green scotchbrite of Tossford! I can almost smell it…. Or is that the odour of p155 that was always noted to emanate from the old bridge dummy?

I’m surprised that LITS still does not appear to have been installed… I’d have thought the Docs king of Tossford would have put that right!

But you definitely need to go down to LTF (or whatever it’s called now) for some refresher training:
View attachment 6253

They’d never let FLMs marshal aircraft like that! … Or would they?:pDT_Xtremez_06:

Is that an Armourer of the Welsh persuasion chasing Dolly, his favourite sheep? Feeling lucky tonight, I guess – hope she’s a pretty one, isn’t it?.
View attachment 6252

And another thing!! Where’s the working panlights? Always a highlight, watching the Cap'n work his OTR team to the bone on nights.:pDT_Xtremez_17:

:pDT_Xtremez_28:Seconded!! "50th birthday a couple of years ago - my @rse!!" I was still "in" then... although it may have been this century -- just! Fess up Slog – it’s got to be at least 7 years ago.

::p:pS… Before you mutter about not being from Sunderland, I’m not senile; I do remember that you’re only a plastic Mackem (Cue Geordie abuse!)

PPS - Still think it's great really, must be getting soft in my old age

In the Captain's defence, as regards the figures, this is what Slog had to work with.

AIR01758a.JPG

AIR01758b.JPG

AIR01758c.JPG

Last edited:

Captain Slog

Trekkie Nerd
Subscriber
Thank you for your comments one and all, more praise than abuse – I am surprised. However, I knew Hu Jardon would have a dig, how does he know about the dust on the control tower, he had to stand on a chair to see the diorama when it was on a desk, never mind where it is now on top of a cabinet!

And as for Ex-Splitter and Proud – what does someone who spent most of his career in a Tyre Bay know about Line Operations? However, yet again I must take my hat off to MAINJAFAD, a true modeller who modifies by scratch building and as always his info is spot on.

Finally, where is the comments from Tin basher – he started the post but now seems to have shrunk back into his tin scrap bin after I produced the evidence. Still what do you expect from a Southerner from Lancashire!!!

Ex-Splitter and Proud

Flight Sergeant
And as for Ex-Splitter and Proud – what does someone who spent most of his career in a Tyre Bay know about Line Operations?

Slog, as the wise sage once said.....

"Fcuk off, you baldie heeded ******!"

Tyre Bay my @rse!.....

Of course, now I've bitten... I'll just have to carry on won't I?... Watch your letterbox for dog crap!

Last edited:

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Well guessed four of the models that made that set up correctly. Bigger than anything I've done (Jaguar in a scratch built cutaway Germany style HAS and a Harrier GR3 under some cammo netting (made out of that green plastic net bags that you some times find veggies sold in), but that was back in the early 1980's before I joined up) Not very 60's, WWII control tower, I'm sure Vulcans in the 60's were all over white, or had white undersides post 1963/4 (not extra dark sea grey like the Vulcan now sitting next to the A15 has) and Lightning's were all over silver back then. Airfix RAF WWII RAF Personnel and NATO Groundcrew set (forgot they had a dog man in that). Though if I get around to doing something out of the 60's, it would be this (though I'll have to get posted there first).

bhm002.JPG

Why would I do this, well, the rumours floating around the Modelmakers forums is that Airfix's next limited edition release after the big TSR2, will be a 1-72 scale model of the large V-bomber in the foreground (the one that actually did pop off live nukes). I've just got to have one of those. However the 32 Airfix Bloodhound Mk 1 kits required would not be cheap, got the info to scratch build the rest of it though.

If memory serves me right, the darker camouflage came in towards the end of the Vulcan's service in the late 70's, early 80's, until then (post 1960's variety of whites etc), they were pretty much the same as in CS's sig picture. Well done CS.

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Thank you for your comments one and all, more praise than abuse – I am surprised. However, I knew Hu Jardon would have a dig, how does he know about the dust on the control tower, he had to stand on a chair to see the diorama when it was on a desk, never mind where it is now on top of a cabinet!

And as for Ex-Splitter and Proud – what does someone who spent most of his career in a Tyre Bay know about Line Operations? However, yet again I must take my hat off to MAINJAFAD, a true modeller who modifies by scratch building and as always his info is spot on.

Finally, where is the comments from Tin basher – he started the post but now seems to have shrunk back into his tin scrap bin after I produced the evidence. Still what do you expect from a Southerner from Lancashire!!!

And for you Slog, just found a better photo of the Harrier (Sidewinder had new fins on it too, 9G in the kit, 9L on the model).

Attachments

• harrier GR3.jpg
    harrier GR3.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Goatherdingsplitter

Rebel without a clue
As stated, haven’t finished a plastic kit since 94, but here’s some ones I did while in trade training back in the early 1980s (photos taken with an old disk camera and high ASA film, so not good photos).

1-24 Scale Airfix Harrier GR1, modified to a Falklands War GR 3 (Scratch built laser nose and RWR fit)

1-72 Scale Airfix 'Falklands War' Vulcan with open Bomb bay (XM607 of course). Did have undercarriage, but was taken out by a Surface to Air Pillow after a night of drinking Thatchers rocket fuel cider, hence doors shut and repairs done (the reason for the two different shades of dark grey on the underside. No bomb load as I couldn't afford the 6 Airfix Jaguar kits for the 1000 lb bombs (only kit that had them at the time)).

The rest, Tornado is an ADV prototype (F2) modified from the Airfix GR1 kit (new nose and extended fuselage plug made out of plastic card and model filler, Skyflash missiles (Sparrows off an old Phantom kit)., and build out of the box, Frog Canberra B8(I), Aero L39 (Czech Trainer) and Hurricane II, Plus a Tamiya 1-35 scale Chieftain tank and a GR1 Tonka on the shelf (which never got finished).

You must have had far too much time on your hands during trade training:pDT_Xtremez_15:

Shugster

Warrant Officer
Too much time while under 18 with no money at the other side of the country from where I come from more like, had to have something to do at the weekends

True, you could have spent a fortune buying drinks for some local floozy only to get a peck on the cheek at the end... Not worth the risk for the amount of, "Investment", involved.

Risk management is everything in these cases.
:pDT_Xtremez_30:

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
True, you could have spent a fortune buying drinks for some local floozy only to get a peck on the cheek at the end... Not worth the risk for the amount of, "Investment", involved.

Risk management is everything in these cases.
:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Refused beers too many times in the first half of Trade Training, W-S-M was very hot on stopping under age drinking at the time, and when I did hit 18, the rest of my lot were so overdrawn, that they never went out, Just left drinking Thatchers in the room. Did do a stint of going out for about a month at the start of the equipment phase with a guy that got recoursed on to my lot, but then ended up getting recoursed at the end of it (he got chopped at the same time and ended up as a Supplier). Next decision, do I enjoy myself and get chopped, or push for the 4 Props and twice the pay. Not exactly a hard choice that one (didn't make any models then either, and most of the ones in the photos never left Locking (Didn't have anywhere to put them at home) so with the exception of the Harrier they got binned or blown up (covered in more detail here).