• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Capt Slogs Diorama and Model Making In General

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Prompted by this comment by Ex-splitter and proud.

"Have you still got that Vulcan model plus sad diorama on your desk? Perhaps you need to do a feature on it on here..."

What is the goats view of a guy who has a complete diorama of his favourite aircraft sat on a pan, plus ground crew, aircrew, RAF coppers, MT vehicles, pan lights that work, a Lightening, a Hunter, bushes, grass and trees all adorning his desk.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Ex-Splitter and Proud

Flight Sergeant
Has he REALLY still got it?

Give him a slap for me!

You'll need to provide photographic evidence of his sad lonely perversion --- (on here please so he can be abused by all and sundry!)

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant

"Have you still got that Vulcan model plus sad diorama on your desk? Perhaps you need to do a feature on it on here..."

What is the goats view of a guy who has a complete diorama of his favourite aircraft sat on a pan, plus ground crew, aircrew, RAF coppers, MT vehicles, pan lights that work, a Lightening, a Hunter, bushes, grass and trees all adorning his desk.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Someone with far too much time on their hands.

A

auchtermuchty

I can confirm that as of tuesday lunchtime I, with my own eyes, saw the diarama in question. It does not currently have all of the stuff on it that he had before moving office but in his defence he does now work on the top floor and at his age shouldnt be carrying things up that many stairs!

laboratoryqueen

Dr Midget Midgetson
I have to admit that anyone else having such a thing would be sad and a bit gay, but for Capt Slog it's just something you'd expect to see, bless him.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
I can confirm that as of tuesday lunchtime I, with my own eyes, saw the diarama in question. It does not currently have all of the stuff on it that he had before moving office but in his defence he does now work on the top floor and at his age shouldnt be carrying things up that many stairs!

Any chance of a photo or two?

G

gemarriott

Speaking as a man with an 8ft by 4ft model of Sodor, (Thomas the Tank Engine's home) in his spare room I personally see nothing wrong with it

G

grumpyoldb

Anyone helping to preserve the memory of the V bombers, (and the cold war), should be respected. End of............!

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Sounds great and would love to see some piccies.

I used to to the odd airfix kit back in my youth........had a F6 Lightning that got a bit burnt when my room went up in smoke (at Binbrook) but it made it look even better and graced the line hut for some time.

Come on Capt Slog....get some piccies up.

Crack on.....................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
why the hell are there RAF coppers in it????

To guard the 1/72 Scale Yellow Sun Mk 2 Thermonuclear weapon hiding in the bomb bay (That's unless of course, said Vulcan model has a 1/72 Scale Blue Steel Missile hanging on its belly, within which would be the 1/72 Scale nuke). Nuclear armed aircraft had coppers guarding the aircraft with orders to waste anybody trying to do anything with the aircraft that they weren't authorised to. Most likely came off the old 1-72 Airfix Bloodhound kit (the plastic pig that is).

Sounds great and would love to see some piccies.

I used to to the odd airfix kit back in my youth........had a F6 Lightning that got a bit burnt when my room went up in smoke (at Binbrook) but it made it look even better and graced the line hut for some time.

Come on Capt Slog....get some piccies up.

Crack on.....................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Airfix never did an F6 (well not while Binbrook was open, they did do the F1 and later modified the kit of the F3 during that time), Matchbox and Frog did the F6 kits (all of them are dated nowadays). Trumpeter (a Chinese firm) is doing a big state of the art 1-32 scale injection plastic Lightning (F3 and F6), due out in October, plus some decent 1-72 scale ones.

Last edited:
A

auchtermuchty

Just when I think that MAINJAFAD is the geekiest of super geeks, he gets even geekier.

I salute you sir!

P

POB

wtf????????????

Speaking as a man with an 8ft by 4ft model of Sodor, (Thomas the Tank Engine's home) in his spare room I personally see nothing wrong with it

I have seen the offending article, and to be honest it is, well, large. He did introduce it saying, "It's for the Grand kids," but I think it's for him really.

A Vulcan diorama on the desk though is a bit "special." If it were a Herc or a Harrier then that would be normal.

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Just when I think that MAINJAFAD is the geekiest of super geeks, he gets even geekier.

I salute you sir!

Haven't finished a plastic model since 1994 (1-20 Scale Benetton B192 as driven by Martin Brundel (No way I was going to build the other driver from that team's car, as he was a dirty cheating boxhead)).Have got a loft full of models for something to do during my retirement. The SWO at Valley years back once asked me to built a Vulcan diorama for him, But I got posted soon after. As for Lightning's, Last one I built was a 1-48 scale F6 (11 Sqn) from a Aeroclub Vacform (issued long before the current Airfix injection moulded one (Have two of those in the loft, along with the Echelon 1-32 Scale Vacformed F6, which will never be built now that there will be an Injection moulded one on the market), However too busy drawing planes for people (Lots of Lightning as attached for example (Yes Tashy there are no F2A’s or F6’s there as they weren’t based on the unit in question, project they were for got canned in the end, hence never finished them all), hence making models of anything for me is very much on the back burner for the foreseeable future.

All for anybody who is interested, the Chinese company who is doing the big Lightning kit is also doing a 1-32 Leaper (GR7) and 1-32 Typhoon (the new one). I just wish they would do a 1-32 Scale Bloodhound Mk 2 and an 1-35 scale SA-8 Gekco, I'd have them on my desk anytime.

Attachments

• lightnings.jpg
    lightnings.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 0

TrickyTree

Sergeant

I was OK with the idea until you mentioned RAF coppers. I need to throw up now.

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
No Feds, but there are a couple shaggin' up against the side of the NAAFI hut.

Thats if I remember correctly.

Pictures please D.

SCJ

Kind of reminds me of a large diorama (1/12 Scale I think) that was in the Missile Training Flight at Newton in the mid 1980's of a Bloodhound Mk 2 missile section. If I remember correctly it was built for the Queen's Silver Jubilee RAF Review at Finningley back in 1977 by the Exhibition Production Flight. If you looked behind the model of the Type 87 Radar on the diorama, there was a model of a airman wearing a beret and greatcoat facing the radar, looking downwards with his hands in his trousers like he was doing a p!ss against the side of the radar or playing with himself. I bet the guy at Henlow who made that must have been really bored the week he did that job.