• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Buying wine

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Been drinking wine for so many years now...:pDT_Xtremez_09: ... You're lucky to find a lasting supply of good wine - they change their stock so frequently! I've been considering joining a wine club or some such thing in order to get a consistently good supply of reasonable quality wine. The Telegraph Wine Club here:

http://www.telegraphwine.co.uk

supply cases of 12 bottles for as little as 50 squids a go. Anyone else tried these or found somewhere better?

Ping hic

Shugster

Warrant Officer
Well, you need two different wines in your, "cellar", (or cupboard under the stairs :pDT_Xtremez_15: ).

A good wine for you and the, "old trouble and strife", to start with.

Then for a second course, pick a middle of the road to cheapie wine as your taste buds have already been numbed and your thought processes, "altered".
:pDT_Xtremez_35:

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Well, you need two different wines in your, "cellar", (or cupboard under the stairs :pDT_Xtremez_15: ).

A good wine for you and the, "old trouble and strife", to start with.

Then for a second course, pick a middle of the road to cheapie wine as your taste buds have already been numbed and your thought processes, "altered".
:pDT_Xtremez_35:

Thanks. What I'm really after is a good reliable supplier, who supplies only good quality, reasonably priced wines. I'm pi55ed off with the supermarkets that keep changing their stock, leaving you to 'taste' your way through their new additions. Sounds like fun I know, but I'm tiring of it! Now looking to get crates of the stuff delivered by someone who knows about good wine (without being ripped off).

Try Virginwines.

Me and the mrs rules use them. They do something called a Wine bank. They take £20 a month off your credit card or bank account and every 3 months (i think) they add £20 for you.

You get to choose what ever wine you want, either their pre-selected cases or make one up yourself.

Shugster

Warrant Officer
Thanks. What I'm really after is a good reliable supplier, who supplies only good quality, reasonably priced wines. I'm pi55ed off with the supermarkets that keep changing their stock, leaving you to 'taste' your way through their new additions. Sounds like fun I know, but I'm tiring of it! Now looking to get crates of the stuff delivered by someone who knows about good wine (without being ripped off).

Well don't forget that wines from the same vineyard change from year to year anyway with different rainfall and sunshine levels.

And if you go to a, "Wine expert", you'll be paying higher prices for it.

My advice is that as each new year comes out, try a few different bottles and see which one, "tickles your fancy".

When you find one that you like, buy a ton of it.:pDT_Xtremez_27:

Works for me.

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Well don't forget that wines from the same vineyard change from year to year anyway with different rainfall and sunshine levels.

And if you go to a, "Wine expert", you'll be paying higher prices for it.

My advice is that as each new year comes out, try a few different bottles and see which one, "tickles your fancy".

When you find one that you like, buy a ton of it.:pDT_Xtremez_27:

Works for me.

Had problems there too! Found an outstanding 'Bin 222' and bought a crate. Went back 3 months later and bought another 3 crates of exactly the same stuff, same year, same vineyard etc. - horrible! Bugger!

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Try Virginwines.

Me and the mrs rules use them. They do something called a Wine bank. They take £20 a month off your credit card or bank account and every 3 months (i think) they add £20 for you.

You get to choose what ever wine you want, either their pre-selected cases or make one up yourself.

Sounds good and they pay you back every quarter for another free selection!
Many thanks!

Hic

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
When I was last in UK I used the Sunday Times Wine Club. Great wines chosen by them, and if you didn't like a bottle, you could send it back. Don't know if it's the same setup now but it may be worth a look.

planesailing

Always a Liney
When I was last in UK I used the Sunday Times Wine Club. Great wines chosen by them, and if you didn't like a bottle, you could send it back. Don't know if it's the same setup now but it may be worth a look.

Just listen to you guys! this should be moved to pimms and crimpolene club.

Incoming!

G

grumpyoldb

Wine.................FFS..........You'll be wearing a frock next.:pDT_Xtremez_31:

My tipple never changes in quality...............:pDT_Xtremez_30:

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Wine.................FFS..........You'll be wearing a frock next.:pDT_Xtremez_31:

My tipple never changes in quality...............:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Is that 'Old Peculier' or 'Old and Peculier'?:pDT_Xtremez_15:

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just listen to you guys! this should be moved to pimms and crimpolene club.

Incoming!

Hang on, I'll just pour you a battery acid with a cherry on top. Ready for collection!

Having just typed this, suddenly remembered some pretty poor wines from the past that tasted a bit like battery acid!....

Last edited:

planesailing

Always a Liney
Hang on, I'll just pour you a battery acid with a cherry on top. Ready for collection!

Having just typed this, suddenly remembered some pretty poor wines from the past that tasted a bit like battery acid!....

Where did you get the bleedin` Cherry? :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Realist78

Master of my destiny
I've used Laithwaites for the last few years, never had a duffer and if you don't like a bottle etc, they'll replace it. Most wines cost around 5-6 quid a bottle but most are worth twice that.