• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Buying Chickens?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm just about ready to get some chickens...The site has taken a lot of graft but it's taking shape enough for me to start looking around for some birds...

Where the f*ck do you buy chickens from around Lincoln way? I'm not overly interested in ex-battery after looking into it or at least not at first...I fancy 3 Rhode Island Reds and another breed that gives whiter eggs at first...

Anyone got any ideas? Googling has failed me this time...

E

Edzar

If chickens come from eggs why not grow one from an egg??:pDT_Xtremez_42:

I'll get my coat......

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Get yourself to a local friendly farmer, its the best way to go and cheep as, well a chick.
...and if you get some rogue males you can choke them. You'll be no stranger to that fella.:0

S

Scottow Horseshoe

Try This..........

Try This..........

BOSTON
Farmer's Market: 3rd Wednesday in month

GAINSBOROUGH
Farmer's Market: 2nd Tuesday in month

GRANTHAM
Farmer's Market: 2nd Saturday in month

HOLBEACH
Farmer's Market: 3rd Saturday in month

LINCOLN
Farmer's Market: 1st Friday in month – City Square
Farmer's Market: 2nd Friday in month – Cornhill
Farmer's Market: 3rd Saturday in month – Castle Hill
Farmer's Market: 4th Friday in month – St. Mark's Centre

LOUTH
Farmer's Market: 4th Wednesday in month

MARKET RASEN
Farmer's Market: 1st Friday in month

SLEAFORD
Farmer's Market: 1st Saturday in month

SPALDING
Farmer's Market: 1st Saturday in month

STAMFORD
Farmer's Market: Alternate Fridays

Also try www.birdtrader.co.uk

Last edited:

Icycalm

SAC
Vim, A friend of mine at home breeds wierd and wonderful chickens, He lives up in Cumbria, but I can try and get you some for nowt if you interested?

He has a huge barn full of them, stuff like RI Reds, Seabrights and more exotic stuff like Golden Pheasants and wierd oriental stuff with mohecans(sp?).

Drop me a PM if your interested.

:pDT_Xtremez_31:

mememe

Corporal
Vim, A friend of mine at home breeds wierd and wonderful chickens, He lives up in Cumbria, but I can try and get you some for nowt if you interested?

He has a huge barn full of them, stuff like RI Reds, Seabrights and more exotic stuff like Golden Pheasants and wierd oriental stuff with mohecans(sp?).

Break it to him gently....how much for P&P?

Icycalm

SAC
Break it to him gently....how much for P&P?

As I live in RAF Lincolnshire and go up to my parents gaff quite a bit and aquisition of wealth isn't a hobby of mine,

0 Quid & 0 Pence

I think it's often referred to as mates rates, although I dont know the budding Avian enthusiast, just helping someone out :pDT_Xtremez_41:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

Mnay thanks for this kind offer...Strangely enough although I live in Lincolnshire I am from Cumbria and go there a fair bit! PM on the way when I'm not smashing some Shreddies into my face then rushing out for another busy day...:pDT_Xtremez_17:

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
Mnay thanks for this kind offer...Strangely enough although I live in Lincolnshire I am from Cumbria and go there a fair bit! PM on the way when I'm not smashing some Shreddies into my face then rushing out for another busy day...:pDT_Xtremez_17:

Off Topic Why are you rubbing underpants into your face at this time of day? Come to think of it, at any time of the day??Off Topic

Shugster

Warrant Officer
Sorry to dig this up Vim, but I am interested in how things are going with this project.

Any unforseen problems?
What does an Egg, "cost", in terms of feed and other outgoings?
I sure the answer is yes, but do they taste better?

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I also keep chickens...

I can say categorically that the eggs taste miles better than the best shop bought egg...remember the eggs you buy "fresh" in the shop are days and sometimes weeks old!

I have has no unforeseen problems, apart from them scratching up the garden and feed is dirt cheap...

Go for it...:pDT_Xtremez_19:

Shugster

Warrant Officer
We buy ours from a local farmer, the yolk is alot darker than supermarket eggs and they do taste good!

I'm still renting at the moment so won't be doing it anytime soon. I'm just looking at the possibilities if Money starts to get tight.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Much the same as keeping children, keeping chickens can be as expensive or as cheap as you like...

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just out of curiosity, how much room do you need ?
Do they need company or would they be happy on their own ?

Not as much as you think, as a rough guide...3 square ft per bird minimum..obviously the more the better

And 2 should be the minimum you keep...

I only have 2 and have a pretty small garden..