• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BSc(Hons) Engineering Management Lincoln Uni

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
Has anyone taken up the BSc(Hons) Engineering Management distance learning course currently on offer from Lincoln Uni?

Just enroled, ELC pay for it, accredited prior learning for 23 years in the RAF with GCGI straight into the last year and it is all carried out with continual assesment on-line.

Sounds too good to be true..........

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Got a link mate? I'm intriuged, but really lazy....

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So from my understanding you gain access to the last year of an honours degree based on 'experience'? Or is there a qualification requirement (ie you already have to hold a HND)?

Sounds a little suspect, but with a documented learning contract and properly assessed evidence I suppose is possible.

I've never seen a University that gives you 240 points off the bat though, that is in effect a foundation degree/HND. I applied to Lincoln Uni for the same course a number of years ago and they gave me APL (accredited prior learning) for 180 points.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
So from my understanding you gain access to the last year of an honours degree based on 'experience'? Or is there a qualification requirement (ie you already have to hold a HND)?

Sounds a little suspect, but with a documented learning contract and properly assessed evidence I suppose is possible.

I've never seen a University that gives you 240 points off the bat though, that is in effect a foundation degree/HND. I applied to Lincoln Uni for the same course a number of years ago and they gave me APL (accredited prior learning) for 180 points.

Ah, but you didn't have the old ex appo handshake working for you.:pDT_Xtremez_19:

H

Happy_Techie

How are you getting on with this?

I ask, as i am looking for further education and have the SLC/ELC to use up. How does service length, rank & experience fit into this.?

HT

Last edited:

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
It’s all APL, quals, a CV and a letter from your employer.

If you big up your management experience in a CV and get your boss to write a letter telling them you are the greatest manager since Fergy then that will go a long way.

I had a GCGI in Leadership and Management already which is supposed to be level 6 i.e. the equivalent but if you have to explain to an employer what a GCGI is then its nae good is it! plus all the TMT and GST/ILMC course certs

I had 23 years in the RAF under my belt, the GCGI and was in a management role at the time but I have known ex-SAC's get it just by being ahem expansive on the CV and experience parts.

It’s got to be worth a punt as it cost me £240 for a two year course that can be done in a year IF you get your arse in gear and get it done. ELC pays the rest FFS!!

PM for any other details

BSc(Hons) Engineering Management

BSc(Hons) Engineering Management

I'm looking into this at the moment, and the info from the university is that it costs £2500 per year (after ELC, this leaves £500 personal contribution per year).How long ago was it £240, and was this per year, or for the predicted 2 year completion target?

Fat2at

Corporal
I heard about this in the summer, enquired to the course leader and was told to apply quick as the enrolment window was closing and the fees were going to be a bit higher next time. Got 2 references from 2 bosses (as directed), applied for my LCGI (~£70 I think), got the application forms and drove them to their reception. I got an unconditional offer without having received the LCGI (which equates to the first 2 years' points due to APL). The course leaders at the Uni are ex RAF and there is a Cranwell liaison too. They are very helpful in getting you enrolled.

I enrolled, got my Student ID etc and access to all the online distance learning gubbins without having the quals (yet) or without applying for my ELC (as time was that short)

I paid the fee for my LCGI before enrolling, £420 on enrolment and sorted all the ELC stuff afterwards. It consists of 1 mini assignment, 3 real assignments and a dissertation to get a BSc (Hons) in Jan 2014. I'm a 21 yr Sgt whose highest qual is a ONC from my fitters course. Whatever this takes I will graduate - this was probably my only realistic chance of ever getting a degree. Considering my 2 kids are going to spend 3+ years and be 60 - 70k in debt for their degrees, 15 months and £500 for mine is a no-brainer! PM me for any details

Fat2at

Corporal
I'm currently a Cpl, but have a LCGI in Engineering. Does that count?

Not sure. It started as an Officers' course and is now for SNCOs and above - I think the points they give you are justified by your recognised APL and stuff done on IMLC etc.

Maybe, though? Look for Mike Howitt at the University of Lincoln for the definite answer.

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
It can be done whenever you choose mate and up to 10 years after you leave if you have an ELC left and want the RAF to pay for it!

fatalbert

SAC
I'm working in The Netherlands. My employer, an aerospace company, recognises the GCGI as an UK accredited equivalent of a Bachelor's degree with honours. Additionally, I'm about to start a (truncated) distance based MBA with Plymouth University because of the GCGI I have..

Well, my LCGI turned up in the post yesterday. Waiting for my FS to do a short suitability reference for me, then I'm applying before March, to start the course in May.

Quick question for anyone who has done the course, or is currently working on it - When I enquired at the Uni of Lincoln about the course fees, I was told that it was £2500 per year (meaning a personal contribution of £500 under ELC).... Does the 'per year' bit mean I will have to apply for another ELC bite after 12 months, or is the 'year' a nominal one, as in the course is commenced at the final year, under APL framework?

Going down this route, the part of the course that APL gives access to is supposed to take 18 months/ 2 years. Will I need to fork out another £500 next year to complete the course?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

I've recently stumbled upon this too and have sent an enquiry off to the administrators enquiring about the fees. Particularly interested if it's £2500 per year as I don't want to use 2 ELCs but am willing to part with £500 to cover the lot.

Anyone who is doing, or has done this, I'd like to touch base if you're willing to help along the way. I struggle with time and then motivation for courses like this - need a tutor on my back to maintain momentum.

Intend using Bosses letter, LCGI (Engineering) and IMLC CMI Level 5 Award for APL which I gather is enough?

Well, my application's in for the March deadline (for the May intake), and I'm waiting to hear about my ELC application.

According to the course admin at the Uni of Lincoln, the fees are £2500 per year. If you can finish the shortened APL course in a year, then well done, only one years fees/ personal contribution required. If, after 12 months, you have not finished, then you have to re-enroll for another year, and pay another full years fees (£2500 / £500 PC).

The nominal 'third year' for this course consists of 4 modules, plus a dissertation. I have heard that it can be done in a year, but I have also been advised not to rush it, as being a (Hons) course, there are different grades of pass available.