• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bruggen

Tedlooney

Sergeant
In October I'm going to Mochengladbach to watch a Bundesliga game at Borussia Park (which is not far from Rheindahlen). The last time I watched Die Fohlen would have been in 1979/80 when they played at the Bokelberg so I'm looking forward to it. Anyhow, while we were in the region I was thinking would it be worth taking Mrs Ted to see where I once defended the free world or would it just ruin all of those fond memories I have of Bruggen? I wondered if any fellow goaters had been back to Bruggen recently and can tell me what it's like now.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
In October I'm going to Mochengladbach to watch a Bundesliga game at Borussia Park (which is not far from Rheindahlen). The last time I watched Die Fohlen would have been in 1979/80 when they played at the Bokelberg so I'm looking forward to it. Anyhow, while we were in the region I was thinking would it be worth taking Mrs Ted to see where I once defended the free world or would it just ruin all of those fond memories I have of Bruggen? I wondered if any fellow goaters had been back to Bruggen recently and can tell me what it's like now.

Was Bokelberg in a park. I saw them play in 1985.

mrsribs

SAC
On a similar vain I went back to Gutersloh recently, ---------- I really wish I hadn't and left memories to memories.

A run down sorry state of affairs, the Army were just about to close it for good. I drove around and could recall faces and figures that hadn't changed in my mind for 25 + years, stumbling from the Mally or the WRAF block, yet some will be in old men now.

i drove to the HAS sites and around a boarded up 18 Sqn, looked in at the former crew room now abandoned, remembering a certain Sqn Ldr Pullford, wonder what happened to him, lol.

i wish I hadn't of gone.

I drove around Bruggen last year but only a fleeting visit to the village which was nice. I then went to Gladbach to sample the infamous st of a thousand bars------ don't bother, a refugee haven of dodgy kebab houses and the details of humanity.

sorry if I am negative but memories are more fun tucked away in there glory days.

Tedlooney

Sergeant
Thanks mrsribs, your experience of returning to Gutersloh is pretty much what I feared if I went back to Bruggen. I think I'll take your advice, knock it on the head and remember the good times I had there.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Thanks mrsribs, your experience of returning to Gutersloh is pretty much what I feared if I went back to Bruggen. I think I'll take your advice, knock it on the head and remember the good times I had there.

It's like revisiting an ex. Its just not the same. You'll soon forget the goods times you had with her and realise why you got rid.

Last edited:

Tedlooney

Sergeant
It's like revisiting an ex. Its just not the same. You'll soon forget the goods times you had with her and realise why you got rid.

If Bruggen were an ex I don't think I'd of got rid of her, it would be more like when you move away and can't maintain a long distance relationship but I take your point.

Last edited:

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
If Bruggen were an ex I don't think I'd of get of her, it would be more like when you move away and can't maintain a long distance relationship but I take your point.

That's another way of putting it. I was at Gut when it was handed over to the grunts and right from the start they put their stamp on it and it wasn't a good thing. They cut off the road past gods acre and the sgts mess meaning you had to drive round. Chicanes on the main drag. Little things like that. It was change for changes sake.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Whilst on a tasking 3 of us drove past Brugen and because one of us was an ex-Bruggenite we relented and pulled in to let him take a trip down memory lane. He was disappointed to see that some of the bars and food outlets were closed and it was so very quiet.

I don't think it did him any good to be honest....

Tedlooney

Sergeant
Thanks all, it sounds like going back isn't a good idea at all so it's been decided, I'm not going back and I'll remember my time at Bruggen as one of the finest times of my life. Plan B is a trip to Wuppertal to take ride on the suspension railway.

Molar Mob

KOS
Borussia Park

Borussia Park

Hope you enjoy the match. You can stand behind the goals in Borussia Park which is built on land which used to be Ayrshire Barracks. I believe they run a free bus service from Monchengladbach hauptbahnhof and Rheydt.

Tedlooney

Sergeant
Hope you enjoy the match. You can stand behind the goals in Borussia Park which is built on land which used to be Ayrshire Barracks. I believe they run a free bus service from Monchengladbach hauptbahnhof and Rheydt.

Thanks MM both me and Mrs Ted are really looking forward to it. I couldn't get tickets for the Nordkurve so we're in the seats inline with the penalty area at that end. I think you're correct about transport, from what I gather there are free shuttle buses for those with a match ticket.

Mustang

Corporal
The British Army left Javelin Bks (formerly RAF Brüggen) in December 2015 when the camp was closed. It's now used as a transit camp for refugees. I was last there in July 2015 and it was deadly quiet with most of the units already departed.
I was stationed there in 76-78 with 31 Sqn, the Army changed a few things when they took over in 2002, but not all the changes were for the better. The Brüggen Bears rugby club closed as did the gliding club, even the shooting club had to wait 9 months to re-open. Apparently the golf clulb is still open, but access to the camp is restricted to bona fide members and of course refugees.