• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boozers near Victoria Station

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm staying at the UJ tonight, can't get mega blasted as it's a heavy sesh saturday....

Are there any decent boozers near the UJ? Has to be within walking distance, can't be arsed to travel as we get there late and plenty of scope for that on saturday.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
The bar in the UJ isn't too bad - beer is decent and so are the prices (for London, anyway), though it's generally quiet - a bit too quiet for my liking. The Wellington is quite good too, just round the corner from the UJC. Not a clue what's round Victoria station - considering how cheap and easy it is to get round on the underground, I'd head off Camden.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Have some fun with this...We used it to plan an office day out when at Northwood and it had the highest casualty rate I have ever seen on a single day of boozing:

http://www.beerintheevening.com/

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Get to The Dublin Castle in Camden. just a few pounds on the Tube, usually have great live music. Failing that The Wellington Pub across the road is good

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Prolly be in Camden Saturday, so I'll bear that in mind.

Was toying with Katzenjammers? Anyone been?

Roobarb

SAC
From the steps of the UJ over to the left is the Wellington, a decent Fullers pub. Instead of that turn right, then left under the railway bridge. Ahead is a good place called the White Hart, decent mix of ale, craft and wheat beers. Near there, halfway down Roupel Street is the Kings Arms which looks like it hasn't changed since victorian times (as does the rest of the street - it is often used for filming). The Kings Arms has a fantastic selection of beers in two bars, plus a Thai restaurant out the back which gets rammed most nights.

Further along Roupel Street, behind some tennis courts is teh Rose & Crown, a Shepards Neame place. Again, good ale.

If you want to eat and are up for something whacky, go for the Nelson on Union St. It is under a block of flats and looks like an estate pub, but inside the decor is mental and the range of burgers on the menu is something else.

I used to work round that way, so know most of the boozers very well :friendly_wink:

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
From the steps of the UJ over to the left is the Wellington, a decent Fullers pub. Instead of that turn right, then left under the railway bridge. Ahead is a good place called the White Hart, decent mix of ale, craft and wheat beers. Near there, halfway down Roupel Street is the Kings Arms which looks like it hasn't changed since victorian times (as does the rest of the street - it is often used for filming). The Kings Arms has a fantastic selection of beers in two bars, plus a Thai restaurant out the back which gets rammed most nights.

Further along Roupel Street, behind some tennis courts is teh Rose & Crown, a Shepards Neame place. Again, good ale.

If you want to eat and are up for something whacky, go for the Nelson on Union St. It is under a block of flats and looks like an estate pub, but inside the decor is mental and the range of burgers on the menu is something else.

I used to work round that way, so know most of the boozers very well :friendly_wink:

Someone else recommended the Hole in the Wall, thoughts?

Roobarb

SAC
My last visit to Katzenjammers was before the attack, but I have no doubt that it will still be jumping. Beer served in huge measures and at one time they had the full range of ApfelKorn bottles on the shelf, but not sure if that is still the case.

Will take you no more than 20 mins to walk from UJC to Borough Market, and plenty of stops on the way ...

Roobarb

SAC
Someone else recommended the Hole in the Wall, thoughts?

To be honest, it is just OK, good for a few beers before catching train. It is well worn, and the kitchen is open, so the whole place stinks of grease. But people like it, it shows sport, and you are very unlikely to meet many hipsters ...

FOMz

Warrant Officer
There used to be a boozer about 10 - 15 mins walk away from the UJ that was used by 'special lady friends of the night' on their breaks a few years ago... not that I ever went in there of course... ahem.... 'a mate' told me about it...

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
OT but any goaters remember the old UJC which had dormitories and you could get a bed for £2. Just the ticket after a night on the lash and you'd missed the last train back.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
No as I wasn't alive during WW1

*BOOM*

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

Went to katzenjammers then back to the White Hart. Spot in for pre-boozing boozing. Cheers mate.