• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Board & Lodging

Board & Lodging

• Nothing

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • £20

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • £30

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • £40

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • More

Votes: 21 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Major Geek

Sergeant
My eldest has finished school and has gone out and got a job instead of ****ing it up the wall at Uni for three years and running up huge debts. He will be on a reasonable wage as well and being a tight wad Yorkshireman I was wondering how much board & lodging we should expect him to cough up (bearing in mind that I already pay his extortionate car insurance!).

G

gemarriott

simply, workout an equal share of the gas/lecky/council tax add a tenner a week for the room another tenner a week for laundry etc and £20 for food.

If you think that seems excessive you can always tuck some of it away as a slush fund for when he finally moves out.

laboratoryqueen

Dr Midget Midgetson
I worked it as 50 quid a week, room, laundry, food etc when my son hit that stage. Still a darn sight cheaper than if he went out and got his own place.

T

Tubby

when I was a leckie apprentice, I was allowed to keep my first wage then I had to pay 20% there on. To be fair I didnt do a thing around the house so that aint bad value. They also helped me when I moved out because it all went into a slush fund for when I did eventually go and paid a healthy deposit on my first proper car.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I was charged 20% of my monthly wage. Seemed fair to me, the more I earnt the more I paid - just like the big bad world!

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
i paid 50 quid a week back in 1996 out of my 104 quid wage not bad for your room food on tap on all your washing done for you :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Killer Queen

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
I have moved out and back and there is only two of us so I pay utilities other than rent and council tax, ie. water, gas, electric, telephone, sky blah blah blah.

I then also purchase vcertail other items ie if i go to a costco or macro food and household items and fill in shopping. If i told you how much i spend it would scare our son. Try and do a breakdown may be add a bit and then the bvit as someone else suggested can be a starter when he moves out.

Good luck

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
25% of his take-home, capped at about 50 quid would be reasonable.

My eldest currently earns 160 pw and pays us 40. He thinks its a good deal.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Always took the payment from my two girls, but stashed it away for their later "needs", not ours.

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
My firt wage was £28. Mam got £10, I got the rest. After that I gave her a third of my wages. A pittance for what they both did for me before and after.

You have to charge them something or the world will be a massive shock when they get they're own place.
Cruel to be kind my Dad called it ! :pDT_Xtremez_31:

Shiny_Rob

Corporal
When I first started work I had to pay £50 a week.

What I didn't know was my folks put a Tenner a week into an account and when I moved out they gave a wedge, had they not done this I would not have saved a thing, just p155ed it all away.

M

Miss_Tina

Don't charge him too little or it will be such a shock when he finaly leaves (if he'll ever want to!)

I've been ruined, never paid any rent to anyone. I will only leave home when I bag myself a rich fella or win the lottery.

I live in hope....

M

Mrs_Monobrow

My mum only asked for 40 quid A MONTH off me. Fair though really seeing as i worked shifts. If i was at home, i slept. Go to work and had 2 meals per shift there. Had my own mobile so never used the phone. I think it was to cover the washing!! :pDT_Xtremez_14:

M

Moz_Magister

He could buy a tent for £30, a maggot for £20

so for a one off payment of £50 he can live rent free!

:pDT_Xtremez_07:

more seriously just remember that if you charge him too little he will never leave.

As for how much you charge him it really depends on where you live and how much he earns and how he will utilise whatever he has left after paying his way.

It might be an interesting exercise to gently remind him what he will get for his money and let him suggest a rent to you (then knock it up a tenner :pDT_Xtremez_28:)

good luck to him (not enough kids get out there and earn these days)

Ex-Splitter and Proud

Flight Sergeant
Look ---- you fed, clothed and looked after him for all these years. The spongeing little tw4t has leeched on you for long enough - no more free Sky, tinternet, phone calls, laundry - washing AND bl00dy ironing, hot meals, a shoulder to cry on, wise advice, help with homework, free taxi runs, free footie/rugby/cricket/tennis/boxing/whatever coaching and on and bl00dy on...

Well - now it's payback time.... and payback should be a biatch!! ::/:

Bleed the little fecker dry!!:pDT_Xtremez_15:

And later.... when you're old, losing your marbles, smelling of pi55....

he'll happily sell your house from under you, flog your furniture, mementoes, medals, cat, dog and fish...

and put you in a fcuking home!!:raf:

So... make sure the little fcuking ingrate never gets another penny -- spend the inheritance now!!:pDT_Xtremez_28:

paramole

SAC
depends on the amount they earn, but about £40 should do it. any more than this then put it into a seperate account to get them out later in life. keep it sweet for too long and they will never leave you alone and have a harder time of it later in life.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
While at collage i was also working, i paid my mother £120 a month in 1996.

Off TopicThat was a waste of a college place then. :pDT_Xtremez_27:

£50 a week but as has been said put some in a secret slush for when he does move out. You'll be the hero when you buy a washing machine and dishwasher for his first flat. (Not that he'll know what they're for).

Although Ex Splitter does have a point as well.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
I paid £200 a month when I was at home almost 10 years ago.

If he kicks up a fuss tell him to try and find something cheaper elsewhere with all the comforts he currently has available to him.

My brother in law pays his mum £20 a week. I'm thinking of asking if she will take her other son back and I'll give her £40 a week.