• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bike licence info

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Now as an old crumbly I am not looking for some tarmac tearing loony machine but. It's 30 years since I rode a bike (never did the bike test teenage rebel in those days) but fuel prices are going through the roof currently so Mrs TB and I have discussed selling one of the cars and getting a motor bike for yours truely. What does a car licence allow me to ride on the road without going through the hassle of further tests?? Moped , 125 bike?? I don't want a scooter however they dress them up they are still scooters.

Any info would be apprieciated TB

FOMz

Warrant Officer
What you need TB is a classic Lambretta.

Have a look here and they're just down the road to you. If I lived a little bit clser to work, I'd get one and get rid of the motor.

Pass the fishtail parka please..........

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
What you need TB is a classic Lambretta...........

FOMz you might find this hard to believe but once long long ago before I even joined the mob I was the archetypal teenage rebel, longhaired, bearded biker and there is no way I am having a scooter classic or otherwise.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If you hold a full car licence (Cat B), then you can legally ride a motorcyle up to 125cc; however, you MUST have also done the CBT course. Full details here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069867 Hope this helps... :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Helps a lot Stig thanks for the gen:pDT_Xtremez_30: .

From the site "If you have a full car licence you may ride motorcycles up to 125 cc and 11 kW power output, with L plates (and/or D plates in Wales), on public roads, but you MUST first satisfactorily complete a CBT course if you have not already done so."

Next question then what is involved in a CBT course. I take it's the mother and duckings follow my leader type event, riding round in packs wearing dayglo vests etc.

Shugster

Warrant Officer
Aren't there places that offer a 1 week intensive course to do your bike license?
For a few hundred quid?

The Stig A.D.I.

Corporal

From the site "If you have a full car licence you may ride motorcycles up to 125 cc and 11 kW power output, with L plates (and/or D plates in Wales), on public roads, but you MUST first satisfactorily complete a CBT course if you have not already done so."

Next question then what is involved in a CBT course. I take it's the mother and duckings follow my leader type event, riding round in packs wearing dayglo vests etc.

Hahaha - Yeah, that's pretty much it!

You can get the Gen here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022430

If I were you, I'd consider doing a Direct Access (DA) course, which is what Shugster is referring to. It'll entitle you to legally ride pretty much any size bike (however, I wouldn't recommend a bloody great 'projectile', especially if it's been a while since you last rode).

Prices vary, so it's worth shopping around. :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Larwm

LAC

I didn't see it mentioned in that link, but i think that a CBT expires after 2 years.

When i did my CBT i got to go round some cones, practice doing what they call a lifesaver (checking your blind spot) and then go on the main road. Also they tought me how to push a bike properly!

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Now as an old crumbly I am not looking for some tarmac tearing loony machine but. It's 30 years since I rode a bike (never did the bike test teenage rebel in those days) but fuel prices are going through the roof currently so Mrs TB and I have discussed selling one of the cars and getting a motor bike for yours truely. What does a car licence allow me to ride on the road without going through the hassle of further tests?? Moped , 125 bike?? I don't want a scooter however they dress them up they are still scooters.

Any info would be apprieciated TB

TB, my uncle does CBT and bike training. If you want I can get you his details. He's based in North Nottinghamshire.

MP

JAFAD666

Flight Sergeant
I think as an experienced licence holder you can do direct entry (33Hp).
As for what to buy, Single cyl 125 like the Honda CG125 for super economy with a top speed of 70mph, cheap tyres, insurance and chains. Wouldn`t recommend it on the A1 etc. For bigger distances Yamaha Fazer 600 or Suzuki Bandit 600.
Good for a Sunday out 2 up aswell.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek

Dunno what happens in Wolves but in Shrewsbury CBT is run/done/organised by the Motorcycle Cops and based at the Honda Bike Shop at the Old Cattle Market (opposite the TESCO) - I put both my lads through them and they still have the full complement of arms legs and heads etc ........ :pDT_Xtremez_30:and they both enjoyed it and are still mates with the Cops concerned - which has helped on occasion. :pDT_Xtremez_15:

Hu

Last edited:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
As for what to buy, Single cyl 125 like the Honda CG125 for super economy with a top speed of 70mph, cheap tyres, insurance and chains. Wouldn`t recommend it on the A1 etc.

:pDT_Xtremez_30: Thanks everyone for all the info looks like CBT here I come that's if Mrs TB still wants her hubby to risk life and limb to and from work.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

JAFAD666 honda CG125 was my first bike 30+years ago didn't even realise they still made them. Deffo not having anything like a 600 or similar my work commute is around 6 miles all on B roads and back roads that don't even merit a letter designation so the 125 sounds about right.

P

PORKY WARD

I did mine last year, CBT involves a days training on a 125, basically safety & the instuctor will determine if you are safe enough for a road trip. Then it's off on the road, connected to the instuctor by radio, after a couple of hours you get your chitty to say you can legally drive a bike up to a 125.
Went to Bristol school of motorcycling for the intensive training, given a suzuki 500. Morning consist's of cone work, safety & doing a tight circle, then out on the road, connected by radio all the time. Next day more roadwork & a test in the afternoon, good fun & some ex pongo instructors, passed in august & in september went to santander on the ferry with 12 others & rode up through Spain & France on me Harley, feckin brilliant laugh,
Good luck

D

Dhoby4u

Having a nice car that I didn't want to put loads of miles on, my missus said 'Ever thought of getting a motorbike?' hmmmm.

So after the CBT and DAS course I am now a year down the line.

I own a Honda Deauville 650, I can hear the catcalls now! NOT a Dullsville etc...

But it's a great bike and very forgiving. It gets me too Dorset from Brize every weekend and I get 65 - 70 miles to the Gallon.

So, that's my fourpenny's worth.

Good luck with the courses.... Great fun.

S

Scottow Horseshoe

Serial rider...

Serial rider...

FFS don't do what I did though, get the bug, do the tests and go through 2 years of "I like that bike, i'll have it" just a quick indicator of what i've had in that period.....CG125,CB250, CB650 Nighthawk,XJ600 Divvy,Z400F,550 & 750 Zephyr,GTR1000,750 nighthawk,GS650 & a GS650 trike....and there's more....lol:pDT_Xtremez_35:

Attachments

• Bike 1.BMP
    122.4 KB · Views: 0
  • My GS.jpg
    My GS.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Bike 2.BMP
    81.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Bike 3.BMP
  • Bike 4.BMP
  • Bike 5.BMP
  • Bike 6.BMP
  • Bike 8.JPG
    Bike 8.JPG
    8.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P2200148.JPG
    P2200148.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Rikster

Sergeant
Never mind all that bike cack...........be a real man and get a Lammy!

Attachments

• 100_1510.jpg
    100_1510.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 0

The Loan Ranger

Corporal
JUst be aware that the CBT only lasts for 2 years and if you've not taken your full licence you will have to resit the CBT in full

Did direct access last April/May then went out and got a Suzuki Bandit 650, best thing I've done in years and still lovin every minute of it, bring on the sunny days when I'm off work

Most of all enjoy and good luck whichever option you choose, just don't get a Sc00ter.................