• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Running Techniques?

H

HoXton

Hey all, please be kind to me, my first post on any kind of forum really so be gentle :D

I'm just wondering if anyone can help me at all. I'm looking to join the RAF, the career package just seems perfect to me. Variety of tasks, challenging, rewarding and the one thing that really appealed to me, the fitness and sports side of things.

Now I'll have to admit, I've not been in the best shape of my life since High School. I used to be a competitive swimmer and trained 6 times a week and would then go to competitions every weekend. I'm now 23 and my exercise had been limited to long walks and occasional swimming sessions. I've always wanted to get back to that level of fitness and joining the RAF is the motivation I need to get that back.

I got past the first interview stage of the application and am waiting to hear from the OASC to see if they will accept me, so in the meantime I want to get super fit. I did start months ago but got sidelined by a car crash, but am now fully recovered and ready to go. Like I mentioned before, swimming is my main sport, so I know what to do to get my fitness up there.

I want to do some running though, which has never been my forte, and was wondering if anyone out there had some good techniques to help me get my stamina up? I've been running on Blackpool Promenade about twice/three times a week about 1.40 miles at a good pace that would make me sweat, then walking back to a certain point, then sprinting, then walking, sprinting till I get back to my starting point. Is this a good way to go or is there something different I should do? Eventually when I'm at the right level of fitnees I'm going to either increase my time or increase the distance of my run, I'm not sure. But any running advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, I don't know where I'm supposed to post this, so sorry in advance.

H

HoXton

Cheers exfairy, unfortuantly the closest clubs to me are Liverpool and Manchester, about an hour n a half drive from where I live, plus I don't have a car anymore so it would be even more difficult.

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
Then I guess the best thing for you to do is buy a pair of trainers and get out there, no real technique to running, just do it.

H

HoXton

I'll carry on with my current technique then, already got the trainers. Cheers exfairy.

P

pie sandwich

A fella I work with (iam ex raf) is prepping for a half marathon he has built his stamina up by starting at 2 miles for a few weeks the going for 4 miles and on rest days doing 2 miles, then a couple of months later he went to 6 miles and rest days were 4 miles etc etc upto 12 miles he does now.

I know its not RAF fitness but it does for stamina.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
My own technique is to put one foot in front of the other on a regular basis but really fast. I move quicker this way as opposed to putting one foot in front of the other slowly on a regular basis.

The first method, I call running and the second method, walking.

With practice, you can slow your walking down enough to what is known as a bimble.

When you join the RAF and after extensive training you will become an expert at bimbling. :pDT_Xtremez_42:

As for running, try this http://www.momentumsports.co.uk/TtRunTechnique.asp

Best wishes and good luck!!! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

TW

L

LadyLaw

I'm doing a lot of interval training, which seems to be helping with my speed and stamina (neither of which I have in great amounts...yet). I do quite a lot of weights too (high reps, lower weight) and that is definitely helping.

A couple of my work colleagues are members of running clubs and they swear by them because apparently there's always someone else who wants to make the same improvements so you can train together. Must admit I'm more of an "ipod loner" when I'm out running at the moment but I'm thinking about joining one to get a bit more variety and motivation.
My thing is to always try and push myself a little bit further each session, whether that's a longer distance or a faster time or just keeping going when I really don't feel in the mood. It seems to work for me, probably because I'm competitive and get really annoyed with myself if I think I'm slacking!

There's a book I like called "Running Made Easy" (not sure who publishes it) which has some really good advice in it regardless of what level you're at.

Good luck!

N

nikkijph

Hey

i have the same problem - altho i have gone from doing no fitness at all to doing between 4 & 5 fitness classes a week

Any one got any techniques for getin more fitter / time down

So far i have ran the mile & half in 18 mins - i knwo i need to get it undedr 14 but would apprecaited any sort of help..

cheers...

- Is bmf any good? i have signed up for the trial just not had chance to go yet

Tino

LAC
Probably not the best person to give advice, I can't run for toffee....knackered old ex-armourer with shagged knees.

However, I reckon a close study of the technique adopted by Tom Hanks in the movie 'Forrest Gump' might help. If nothing else it will wind up the PTI's and give your fellow recruits a laugh.

H

HoXton

Hey everyone, thanks for all the replys, especially yours Wrench, gave me a good chcukle. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

I've got myself into a set system which is working for me and involves circuit training, swimming, distance runs, timed runs and interval runs. Feel like it's the fittest I've been since High School...to be fair it probably is.

Anyway again, thanks for all the replys, hopefully will be joining all of you soon.

84scouse

SAC
I can do the mile & a half within the prescribed time with a bit of effort, no worries there...

The problem I have is on my "longer" runs. I keep them slow (9 minute miles-ish) and go for 2.5-3 miles or so. But after a bit I have to slow to a brisk walk, then start up again. It's SO annoying, because afterwards I feel this guilt- then usually make myself go a few hundred metres further at the end of the run, sort of a punishment for being weak earlier. In September I did the Victory 5 road race, & it was pretty embarrassing that I was taking a breather at the halfway point!! (though I did finish & really enjoyed it!)

Can anyone tell me how I can get past the feeling that I need to slow down cos it's pi**ing me off big time now. I'm out running 3-4 times a week but can't seem to break beyond the level I'm currently at. I know PT session runs at Halton are going to be tougher & I really want to get well prepared. Will FARTLEK help me?

I can do circuit training all day, same for swimming & cycling, but running just doesn't seem to agree with me... please help! :pDT_Xtremez_21:

Mightierthan

Corporal
I can suggest 2 things, both of which have worked for me. I run with headphones (not so loud that I can't hear car noises etc), and have my music set up so that on the long uphill about 1/2 a mile from home, a song that really motivates me comes on; it has a great beat for running uphill and keeps me going. You could try something similar for your halfway point. You could also slow down so you are still jogging, but just above walking pace. This would stop you getting out of breath and you would feel happier because you would still be running. Once you have managed your route once without walking you may not even need to slow down; a lot of it may be psychological.
You might also want to run a different route so you would not be so aware of when your halfway point would be; again, if it's a bit of a psychological barrier, that may help.
Good luck!

C

CC

Interval and sprint training used to work so well for me. I'm sure there's loads of examples available via google but if you can't find anything then PM me. Thing to do is NOT get stuck in a rut, just doing the same mile/mile and a half run. Mix it up, put some longer stuff in, some sprints and you'll be fine.

D

dozyscopie1

Running techniques

Running techniques

Fartlek is very good and will help you through your fitness test. I have to say though if you want to become a stronger runner and do longer distances hill running is what you want. I am fortunate, where I am based there a hills all over the place and plenty of trails to run on. To start if you can find a 300m-500m long hill, incline doesn't really matter but I wouldn't start off to steep, and try running up it as quick as you can. Then turn around a run/walk back down it, turn around and start again, try this 2/3 or until you feel you are exhausted. Do this twice a week for 3 weeks then either find a longer hill/steeper incline and increase the amount of times up and down. You could also incorporate the hill into your normal runs, mix it up. Monday-flat route, Tuesday-hill route, Wednesday-Fartlek, Thursday- flat, Friday-fartlek/hill route, Saturday/Sunday- long run/rest.
This is not for everyone but it helped me, I also use MapMyRun so I can track my distances, times, pace, so I can track my improvement.I went from running 10miles a week to running 40miles within 4 months using a mix of the above. Also the Kenyans do a lot of training on hills and it doesn't seem to do those lads any harm...
Good luck and remember to keep going, if you keep it up you will notice a huge difference in 4 weeks.:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Inevertouchedit

Flight Sergeant
There's a lot of conflicting advice on here already.

As an ex-RAF roadrunner and allround racing snake (7min 5sec for 1.5 miles was I think my best time) in my youth - 70-80 miles a week at one stage. I'll give you my thoughts.

Fartlek/Interval running's great WHEN you've built up a good piggy-bank of stamina. There is only one way to do this - long slow runs, slower the better, just keep the momentum going. When you think you're about to expire (you won't, your body's nowhere near breaking point) just slip down a gear into a good walking pace until your breathing's OK again. Then just trot on again

When you're in your stamina building phase it's important to drop down a distance regularly to give your body a break. If you increase mileage day on day (or bring interval work in too quickly) you're "going to the well" far too often and drawing on stamina reserves you just don't have yet.

Last edited:

Inevertouchedit

Flight Sergeant
Can anyone tell me how I can get past the feeling that I need to slow down cos it's pi**ing me off big time now. I'm out running 3-4 times a week but can't seem to break beyond the level I'm currently at. I know PT session runs at Halton are going to be tougher & I really want to get well prepared. Will FARTLEK help me?

No, your stamina bank seems pretty empty if you're struggling with 5 miles OR are you attempting to run at a pace that doesn't suit you. Slowly, slowly catchy monkey !! if you feel the need to slow down then listen to your body and slow down. You should be able to hold a conversation at a jogging pace.