• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bengo's One Stop motor shop

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

Mrs BEngO has been pootling around in her little Nissan Micra for 2 years now and her PCP agreement has reached 'balloon payment' time. As the car is worth £1500 more than the balloon, and FEngO is on the way, we decided to trade-in and get her another brand new car to suit her needs but with enough space for all of FEngO's tranklements when he or she emerges into the world. :pDT_Xtremez_42:

let's play a little game: Can anyone guess what we have just put a securing deposit on?

(and a little clue - I only insisit on German cars for myself - Mrs BEngO has whatever she wants as it were)

anyone?

when I get chance, I'll write a blog of why that particular choice with some mini-reviews of the cars we tried along the way.

C

Cupracop

anyone?

when I get chance, I'll write a blog of why that particular choice with some mini-reviews of the cars we tried along the way.

Hmmmm this ones got me stumped. What a medley of possible vehicles, from what I’ve heard it sounds like you'll have made an informed decision with almost orchestral precision. Not to mention you'll have weighed up the pros and cons for several vehicles, making plenty of notes and reading up on all the latest reviews.

:pDT_Xtremez_15:

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

Hmmmm this ones got me stumped. What a medley of possible vehicles, from what I’ve heard it sounds like you'll have made an informed decision with almost orchestral precision. Not to mention you'll have weighed up the pros and cons for several vehicles, making plenty of notes and reading up on all the latest reviews.

I detect a hint of sarcasm there... :pDT_Xtremez_25:

Of course I weighed up pros and cons! and the magazine rack is positively bursting with sales bumpf and 'every new car tested' periodical specials!

And after all that, Mrs BEngO said "I want that one" and that was that... :pDT_Xtremez_42:

C

Cupracop

I detect a hint of sarcasm there... :pDT_Xtremez_25:

Of course I weighed up pros and cons! and the magazine rack is positively bursting with sales bumpf and 'every new car tested' periodical specials!

And after all that, Mrs BEngO said "I want that one" and that was that... :pDT_Xtremez_42:

LOL did you see what i did there! :pDT_Xtremez_28:

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

okay clever cloggs. Would you have guessed correctly if I hadn't actually discussed our choice of motor with you personally or if Mrs BEngO didn't happen to work with Mrs CupraCop-to-be?

:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Anyway, have you finally seen sense and decided not to completely de-cat your Leon 20VT but instead think along the lines of a sports high-flow cat instead?

Last edited:
C

Cupracop

okay clever cloggs. Would you have guessed correctly if I hadn't actually discussed our choice of motor with you personally or if Mrs BEngO didn't happen to work with Mrs CupraCop-to-be?

Anyway, have you finally seen sense and decided not to completely de-cat your Leon 20VT but instead think along the lines of a sports high-flow cat instead?

True but i couldn't resist to see if you would spot the puns!

The reason for the de-cat is that the cat is looking on it's way out and a de-cat pipe is cheaper that a replacement or a sports cat!!

It's all about the cheap. Thats the only reason I had a custom xorst on the FTO as the standard mitsubishi one is over £500!:pDT_Xtremez_34:

I'd just like to know if I can get one cheap, Fleabay only seam to have them for the TDI's?!?!?!?

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

True but i couldn't resist to see if you would spot the puns!

The reason for the de-cat is that the cat is looking on it's way out and a de-cat pipe is cheaper that a replacement or a sports cat!!

It's all about the cheap. Thats the only reason I had a custom xorst on the FTO as the standard mitsubishi one is over £500!:pDT_Xtremez_34:

I'd just like to know if I can get one cheap, Fleabay only seam to have them for the TDI's?!?!?!?

Try euro car parts.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek

When are you going to start TheHogwartsBEngO's anti natal clinic?

C

Cupracop

Dear BengO,

What are your thoughts on Strut braces for my MV3 03 Seat Leon Cupra 20V T?

I'm thinking top and bottom at the front, Removable rear for shopping etc?

Only thing that worries me is drilling holes in my loverly towers!:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
Bengo,

I have a subaru impreza that has a knocking noise from the rear suspension. any ideas on wot it may be. it only happens at low speed and i cant reproduce the fault when stationary.

Help

Ta CoD

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

Dear BengO,

What are your thoughts on Strut braces for my MV3 03 Seat Leon Cupra 20V T?

I'm thinking top and bottom at the front, Removable rear for shopping etc?

Only thing that worries me is drilling holes in my loverly towers!:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Depends how you use the car Cupracop. The strut braces are going to sharpen up the handling, stiffen the body and give better turn-in.

But to be honest, the Cupra is a road car and has superb road manners, a sharp turn in and is well-planted in corners. The VAG engineers spent millions developing and perfecting a suspension set up that gives great sporting credentials whislt being compliant enough to make everyday driving on britain's roads comfortable. My view is don't bu33er about with it - unless you're the sort of person who goes to a 4 star restaurant, orders a bowl of £20 soup and puts salt in it without even tasting the chef's perfection first.

plus knowing you, you'll change the cupra in a year or 2's time and one that has been messed around with (strut braces, aftermarket exhaust, Koni filter etc) will seriously put buyers off.

I'd keep it original.

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

Bengo,

I have a subaru impreza that has a knocking noise from the rear suspension. any ideas on wot it may be. it only happens at low speed and i cant reproduce the fault when stationary.

Help

Ta CoD

Bushes?

Or maybe your better judgement telling you you should have bought an Evo instead of a 90's XR3i... :pDT_Xtremez_14:

I reckon Scoobyroo might be able to help in Scooby's Oily bits... :pDT_Xtremez_28:

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
I bet BEngo drives a Pink Car with pink steering wheel cover. He will have pink seat covers, pink gearstick, pink seatbelts and drive a Saxo.

He also gets his car insured by Sheila's Wheels!

Upset the MODs at your peril young Hogwarts!

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

I bet BEngo drives a Pink Car with pink steering wheel cover. He will have pink seat covers, pink gearstick, pink seatbelts and drive a Saxo.

He also gets his car insured by Sheila's Wheels!

Upset the MODs at your peril young Hogwarts!

you been spying on me? :pDT_Xtremez_21:

G

Giffer

Diesel Turbo

Diesel Turbo

spejla.jpg

More of a warning than anything else! If you have a new style DCI type Diesel engine. As in the case of my wifes Megane 1.9 DCi which developed a Turbo fault, all she knew was it was bellowing smoke as she drove along the M4. losing performance, she rightly pulled over the hard shoulder and found she couldnt switch the engine off! (button start) The car quickly filled with smoke so she acted quickly and got her and the kids out and then watched as the car revved its nuts off untill it self distucted (very alarming).
The reason behind the engine not switching off was due to the Turbo feeding engine oil into the cylinders using that as fuel!

The sad thing is I had heard of this before and the only way to stop the engine is to stall it, my wife would not have realised that (and acted correctly) that would have Just been a turbo replacement (£350) and not the £8000 quoted by Renault, who by the way refused to accept liability even though its a known fault (another topic sore 1 at that)
wobbly a.jpg

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

View attachment 1751

More of a warning than anything else! If you have a new style DCI type Diesel engine. As in the case of my wifes Megane 1.9 DCi which developed a Turbo fault, all she knew was it was bellowing smoke as she drove along the M4. losing performance, she rightly pulled over the hard shoulder and found she couldnt switch the engine off! (button start) The car quickly filled with smoke so she acted quickly and got her and the kids out and then watched as the car revved its nuts off untill it self distucted (very alarming).
The reason behind the engine not switching off was due to the Turbo feeding engine oil into the cylinders using that as fuel!

The sad thing is I had heard of this before and the only way to stop the engine is to stall it, my wife would not have realised that (and acted correctly) that would have Just been a turbo replacement (£350) and not the £8000 quoted by Renault, who by the way refused to accept liability even though its a known fault (another topic sore 1 at that)
View attachment 1752

Jesus!

Glad to hear everyone is okay though.

Is the car under warranty? even if not, and it's a known fault, you probably have a claim providing the car was maintanined iaw Renault's service schedule - if nothing else they should give you a 'good will' gesture.

... french cars. tsk. :pDT_Xtremez_15:

G

Giffer

spejla.jpg

Jesus!

Glad to hear everyone is okay though.

Is the car under warranty? even if not, and it's a known fault, you probably have a claim providing the car was maintanined iaw Renault's service schedule - if nothing else they should give you a 'good will' gesture.

... french cars. tsk. :pDT_Xtremez_15:

The car was under warranty but the annoyance was because it was serviced at a non Renault garage and the oil spec couldnt be verified they didnt want to know. Customer support from them sucks, specially fisher bros swindon. just to make you laff more, the insurance co. were prepared to pay up untill they spoke to Ren. UK who told them it was a known problem so the ins. co washed hands too. nice!

But yes very scarey incident, and widespread awareness is needed and the best way of dealing with it.

Ps. The car was got rid off sharpish after alternative repair. NO MORE RENAULTS FOR US !

Last edited:
T

TheHogwartsBEngO

View attachment 1753

The car was under warranty but the annoyance was because it was serviced at a non Renault garage and the oil spec couldnt be verified they didnt want to know.

i think ther are laws against this. new rules have forced manufacturers to honour warranties even if work is undertaken by independent garages