• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bengo's One Stop motor shop

F

fairysoftnotverysoft

Need some help please ladies and gents. I've just failed my MOT again. this time Cat and cracked manifold . . . . apparently. I'm gonna try to change the cat but I need some help with welding up my manifold.

So anyone in the wiltshire truckers airbase area with a tig/mig that would donate some time, expertise and molton metal for a few beers drop me a line.

yours in anticipation.

P

pie sandwich

Before anyone say's it yes I think I have just bought a lemon.

I have just got a V reg 406 and after a couple of weeks the central locking has stopped working, changed the batt in the key fob, changed the fuse, and tried to reprog the key. the central locking still will not work even when i lock the car by putting the key in the door.

I have found out that the passenger door lock is u/s the door can be locked useing the key but only just.

any ideas and help would be great just as long as it means i dont have to spend a fortune. What would be even better is if anyone can fix it for me or can reccomend someone in the leuchars area

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

I am no expert but the U/s passenger door lock might be why the central locking is failing - all to do with feedback loops I guess. You could try, in the first instance, lubricating the u/s lock with some WD40 (let it penetrate for a few minutes) and see if that frees it up any. FGailing that, I'd try replacing the passenger door lock barrel (source one from a local scrappy?) and see if that helps.

You could also ask scooby.

And if that's all that's wrong with the car - it ain't a lemon (if it was cheap!).

...then again, it's french... :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Bengo said - Vauxhall Meriva and a Fiat Punto written off? every cloud has a silver lining. Why not pop along to BEngO's motorshop and we can recommend some suitable (and much better) replacements.

OK Bengo here we are then recommend away. We need a people mover for two nippers and a frugal hatchback for work commuting. Hatch back must be 5 door so we can transport the nippers in it. Mrs TB loves the Meriva with the 1.6 16 valve motor and would have another in a blink the Hatchback anything really around the 1.0 to 1.2 range but not Daewoo, Kia, Hyundia type stuff. Mrs TB has heavy boots when driving and likes motors with some grunt so no diesels.

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

Bengo said - Vauxhall Meriva and a Fiat Punto written off? every cloud has a silver lining. Why not pop along to BEngO's motorshop and we can recommend some suitable (and much better) replacements.

OK Bengo here we are then recommend away. We need a people mover for two nippers and a frugal hatchback for work commuting. Hatch back must be 5 door so we can transport the nippers in it. Mrs TB loves the Meriva with the 1.6 16 valve motor and would have another in a blink the Hatchback anything really around the 1.0 to 1.2 range but not Daewoo, Kia, Hyundia type stuff. Mrs TB has heavy boots when driving and likes motors with some grunt so no diesels.

Firstly: get Mrs TB to ditch the diesel prejudice. In today's smaller cars, especially small people carriers, the best way to get "grunt" (or 'torque' in technical circles) is to go turbo-diesel. Honestly - get Mrs TB behind the wheel of a modern TD just to try it and I'm sure she will be quite surprised. Turbo-diesels are often much more driveable on dual carriageways ( ie no need to drop to 4th to accelerate from say 40 through to 60) and give lower fuel consumption and are often in lower VED bands. With a people carrier with 4 people plus a holiday's worth of kit in - diesel is often the only way the thing will move.

Anyway, you missed an important factor: what's your budget?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Anyway, what's your budget?

Budget -
For the people mover £6000 but it must be a 53 plate or newer to transfer private plate across correctly.
Hatchback £2000
Could go higher on each at a push but would be happier to stay within limits

Mrs TB is adamant no diesels having driven her dads huge non turbo diesel Peugot estate and taken an instant dislike to it. Applications of logic beyond this point are futile as all diesels are deemed to be the same in her view.

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

Tricky - that's a really tight budget. :pDT_Xtremez_26: and so you force me to go french :pDT_Xtremez_34:

First off, the MPV: for your budget you can get a Vauxhall Zafira (last gen) but since you suffer diesel prejudice I would have to recommend the 1.8 petrol (avoid the 1.6 as it will be hopelessly asthmatic fully laden). You can get one within budget but you will be looking at a high-mileage example. However, 7 seats (potentially) is not to be sniffed at.

Worth a look would be (can't believe I'm about to say this) a Renault megane Scenic - but it will be a 1.4 petrol so will likely to be a bit gutless. However, this is the stylish choice and since the newer Megane Scenic scores maximum points in the NCAP crash safety tests, definately the choice to keep your brood safe.

And finally you can pick up a 54 plate Citroen Berlingo 1.4 or 1.6 petrol for under 6k - these are cheeky little cars and great for karting around kids + associated kit. They are known for being actually quite a decent drive too and quite good fun to hustle along - however, most of the plaudits go to the DIESEL versions...

and now the hatchback. For 2K you can pick up fairly decent Ford Fiestas (last gen) and Nissan Micras (last gen) circa 00 (W or X plate). Both these will cause you no trouble, be cheap as chips to run/maintain and for your money you'll get a respectable level of kit. My preference would be for the Micra.

Whadya reckon? could these be worth a test-drive?

and if you feel really flush, for your family MPV, since it's to replace a meriva - have a go in a Nissan Note. Used examples are rare (new model) but you can pick up a 6 month old 1.4 petrol (top choice) in SE trim (again, top choice - air-con, CD, alloys, rear seat back trays and flexible boot floor system) for under 10k - and that will be ex demonstrator. They have bags of space in the rear and are great to drive. Mrs BEngO has had hers for a couple of months now and it's brilliant. can't fault it and it's made in Britain :pDT_Xtremez_28: .

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Lumpy Idling

Lumpy Idling

I've got a 97 Mondeo ghia X. Sometimes when idling (sat at lights, junctions etc) the revs will go up and down rapidly. Im wondering if maybe its something to do with the air intake or something similar?

Any thoughts?

M

mumof4

I've got a 97 Mondeo ghia X. Sometimes when idling (sat at lights, junctions etc) the revs will go up and down rapidly. Im wondering if maybe its something to do with the air intake or something similar?

Any thoughts?

Idle control valve.May need a clean or be naffed and need replaceing.Good idea to try cleaning it first to see if that helps.

Only my opinion you understand.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Idle control valve.May need a clean or be naffed and need replaceing.Good idea to try cleaning it first to see if that helps.

Only my opinion you understand.

I had to adjust my ICV on my old car due to low revs at idle, but this sounds different, almost like the car is struggling. It doesn't happen all the time, sometimes infrequently! I was thinking maybe its the MAF (if thats what its called)

M

mumof4

I had to adjust my ICV on my old car due to low revs at idle, but this sounds different, almost like the car is struggling. It doesn't happen all the time, sometimes infrequently! I was thinking maybe its the MAF (if thats what its called)

Hmm..MAF
Mass Air Flow Sensor,usually if this is on its way out the car will be sluggish and lack oomph.Basically in limp home mode.
EGR Valve maybe?, is it just the revs you have a problem with? or is there any thing else like juddering?

M

mumof4

Just found this on my forum...( mondeo section )

My Vehicle Speed Sensor was broken, and was causing the over-revving thing at stand still. You car will also do it if the engine is unaware of the air flow (MAF sensor), or temperature (IAT sensor).

Also, have you tried disconnecting the battery for 15/20 mins to see if this resets the ECU? ( i am assumeing that you have one?) if you do and you try this, make sure you have a keycode for your radio.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hmm..MAF
Mass Air Flow Sensor,usually if this is on its way out the car will be sluggish and lack oomph.Basically in limp home mode.
EGR Valve maybe?, is it just the revs you have a problem with? or is there any thing else like juddering?

A little bit of shaking when the revs drop off, but then the revs go back to normal and the engine sounds fine again....don't know much about Mondeos, so advice on were to look for the EGR and ICV would be good.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Advice time....

Advice time....

The scorpio is 10 years old...very high mileage and it will be soon time to replace her.

Now what else is there out there that is comfy on long journeys, has all the mod cons, great interior and looks great ?

We have a budget of £9000 (don't tell the missus).

I have been looking at a Jag X-Type (always wanted a jag) or a Lexus of some kind.

Today in town we saw a Lexus RX300 and it looked great (although never been a fan of the SUV type before) so does anyone have any gen on them ? Have done a search of automart and there are some in our buget but would be nice to know if anyone has any experience of them.

Any and all suggestions welcome....

Crack on.............:pDT_Xtremez_09:

G

gemarriott

A friend of mine has a lexus SUV out in the States. I drove it for a couple of days and it was ok nothing bad to say about it but it didn't get my pulse rate up. My Moosus however fell in love with the sheer luxury and the fact that at 80 you could hear a pin drop, total silence.

Plumber

Flight Sergeant
We have a budget of £9000 (don't tell the missus).

Crack on.............:pDT_Xtremez_09:

What ever car your going for I hope that 9 grand is just for the deposit, or for the luxury cup holders and ivory backscratchers that you have to pay extra for nowadays.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
What ever car your going for I hope that 9 grand is just for the deposit, or for the luxury cup holders and ivory backscratchers that you have to pay extra for nowadays.

LOL...i wish it could be just a deposit but hell no thats all we've got (or will have to spend on a car and thats more than i want to really spend !!).

I'm not after a new car but it has to be a max of 5 years old.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
A little bit of shaking when the revs drop off, but then the revs go back to normal and the engine sounds fine again....don't know much about Mondeos, so advice on were to look for the EGR and ICV would be good.

Hi mate, I had this with my old mondy.
Turns out that a rubber t piece in the air system had perished slightly and was sucking air in at idle causing it to hunt all over the place.
If you stand in front of your engine its on your right hand side about half way down.
The t piece has 2 plastic strengthening inserts and it perishes in between them.
Funnily enough its one of the best sellers for mondeos!
I went down the road of everything else as well but it ended up being a £2.50 bit of rubber!

(Sorry to step on your toes Bengo......)

Last edited: