• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bengo's One Stop motor shop

C

Cupracop

Tell you what, if you want to improve your mpg, try switching your fcuking heated seats off now and again and lightening up on the right foot. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Thanks for the pearls of wisdom HogwartsBEngO!

As ever full of useful information :pDT_Xtremez_28:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Dear BEngO,

I currently drive an S reg VW Passat (94000 miles on the clock) and am looking to possibly get a new car in the spring. I can't afford a new VW, so whta do you think? A decent 2nd hand one, or something like a brand new Skoda or something else............................

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

Dear BEngO,

I currently drive an S reg VW Passat (94000 miles on the clock) and am looking to possibly get a new car in the spring. I can't afford a new VW, so whta do you think? A decent 2nd hand one, or something like a brand new Skoda or something else............................

yes, and err, yes. Older VW a good plan, and it's hard to go wrong with an Octavia.

Depends what you're after FOMz, If you like the medium saloons you can't really go wrong with the current Mondeo.

Of course, if you really like your jam jars, maybe it's time to buy a real medium saloon that is driven by the proper axle (the rear one) and have a look at the products of the Bayern Motor Werks!

C

Cupracop

yes, and err, yes. Older VW a good plan, and it's hard to go wrong with an Octavia.

I drive Octavia estates at work (no prizes for guessing what I do) and they are great and well balanced, the old shape ones are based on the A3 as is my Leon and both handle great.

The old Octavia is a bit boring on the inside but the new one is quite funky and with the good old 1.9TDI from VAG you’re laughing.

If you’re after a turn of speed then there is the 1.8 Turbo Octavia v RS same engine as the TT, a sprightly 1.8 20 valve 4 pot turbo putting out 180Bhp.

The only problem with the Octavia is that when they are full of equipment at a 100mph on a fenland road they tend to bottom out catastrophically as they are a bit on the low side, but drive sensibly and you'll be fine.

:pDT_Xtremez_06:

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

Thanks Cupracop, your unique perspective is always welcome.

I'm sure Tigger has opinions on the Cambridgeshire Constabulary's fleet of Octavias too...:pDT_Xtremez_15:

G

gemarriott

Thanks Cupracop, your unique perspective is always welcome.

I'm sure Tigger has opinions on the Cambridgeshire Constabulary's fleet of Octavias too...:pDT_Xtremez_15:

Oh he's a copper:pDT_Xtremez_31: I thought when he said he drove an Octavia at work he meant he was a minicabber:pDT_Xtremez_31:

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Oh he's a copper:pDT_Xtremez_31: I thought when he said he drove an Octavia at work he meant he was a minicabber:pDT_Xtremez_31:
GEM I been thinking about this in car Fridge thing I reckon the BEngO's solution is a bit over complex and as its a 12v fridge its gonna kick the sh!t out of your battery while parked at the Dog Racing Track

Right here's the Techie solution

One of them cheap noisy smoky non environmentally freindly 240v generators from Aldi for 40 squids.
Tie wrapped to the roof - tie wraps are free for techies & plumbers its the law
One of them glass fronted Stella fridges also available for around 40 squid if you shop around. You could probably pick up a cheap freezer and a microwave too. In fact the opportunities for mobile electrical devices are endless if you choose my solution

All the best

Hu

PS is it yours or my turn to get the booze in this weekend?

G

gemarriott

GEM I been thinking about this in car Fridge thing I reckon the BEngO's solution is a bit over complex and as its a 12v fridge its gonna kick the sh!t out of your battery while parked at the Dog Racing Track

Right here's the Techie solution

One of them cheap noisy smoky non environmentally freindly 240v generators from Aldi for 40 squids.
Tie wrapped to the roof - tie wraps are free for techies & plumbers its the law
One of them glass fronted Stella fridges also available for around 40 squid if you shop around. You could probably pick up a cheap freezer and a microwave too. In fact the opportunities for mobile electrical devices are endless if you choose my solution

All the best

Hu

PS is it yours or my turn to get the booze in this weekend?

you buy the electrical devices, generator and bring our wife and I'll grab the booze, a fireman's pole and some sausages works out about the same in squids and we can get "she who is to learn pole dancing" to do some cooking and wiggling for us whilst we compare the colditude of the beer provided by your solution with that of Bengo's

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

Gentlemen, this is a MOTORING thread, where I can talk about motoring marvels without the distraction of your wiggling wife and cold beers.

Keep this to the pigs bar. Thanks.

If your wife would like advice on a new car however, I would be only to happy to advise her.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
you buy the electrical devices, generator and bring our wife and I'll grab the booze, a fireman's pole and some sausages works out about the same in squids and we can get "she who is to learn pole dancing" to do some cooking and wiggling for us whilst we compare the colditude of the beer provided by your solution with that of Bengo's
Done

See ya later I've already got a nice bottle of Port for afters but we need some cheese

seeing as we're on the p!ss are you going to let her drive your new motor?

Hu

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

Not just the Goat...

Not just the Goat...

A work colleague (who I know as Giimlet :pDT_Xtremez_42: ) has recently bought a Vectra Diesel with 130k on the clock as a commuting shed (I know I know - he should have asked me first)

Anyway, today he asked me this (via e-mail)

"whats your opinion on slick 50?"

At first I thought he was asking about 2-stroke mopeds but he revealed he was wandering about nursing his high-miler. I replied as follows:

Basically Slick 50 is a PTFE additive - which is a solid. Although it reduces friction etc – thus improving horsepower and lowering fuel consumption, it is not a panacea - it could clog filters etc and actually starve parts of the engine of oil pressure, increasing engine wear.

I’d stick with a high-quality Vauxhall-approved oil. And change it regularly, maybe every 6k miles?

Hope this helps.

G

gemarriott

Ok what's your take on that "magtech" engine restorer Quentin queerfecker keeps banging on about ? does it work or does it not? It isn't quite the same as slik50 being a one off treatment I believe and loooodicrously expensive?

Think it's called Magtech anyway

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

The ametech stuff I have never heard of - had a look at their web site and it's full of the usual marketing bollards

IMHO it's another additive, and additives are never a pancea - you may solve one issue but create several others. My argument is that modern oils contain lots of additives that are designed to work in harmony and are often in carefully balanced quantities. Adding extra additives could upset the mix. Think of it as a cake-mixture. The recipe calls for 2 eggs which make the cake nice and moist - will adding 4 eggs make it even more moist and nice? of course not!

I'm no expert and it might be worth a look. It does seem to be marketed at big low-stress american V8s etc - might not be so viable for european high-stressed 4 cylinders.

G

gemarriott

Thanks for that. It's just the top gear boys and quentin queer gob bang on about it for older motors. As if it can magically give you extra horses back that have bolted through the gap between rings and cylinder.

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

I can understand the principle, but I'd like to see some 'independent' test results and not just the parts of the results that the company want you to see.