• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bengo's One Stop motor shop

Shugster

Warrant Officer
Wifey has a Citroen (spit........)szara td estate.
Its a few years old now with about 110k on the clock.
It has a yearly service at the main dealer which includes mot for £119.
The mot is not done by the dealer. I can't see another garage failing a car on an mot after the dealer has serviced it.
Its value for money as far as I can see it.

Vauxhall dealers are a rip off as far as I am concerned.

We used to run a vectra.
It went into the local dealer for service. We got a phone call to say that it would cost £380 to service the rear brakes.

When I checked into it, I was told that they had to service all of the brakes on the rear axle at the same time.
Turns out that you should not service the brakes on one wheel hub without the other on the same axle. Vauxhall interpret this as having to service the brakes on the whole back axle at the same time.
Disc brakes + handbrake drum shoes.

The handbrake was fine and had just passed MOT.

Two years later, The same dealer tried the same trick with me on my frontera.
I bought a set of disc pads from my local accesory shop for £12 and it passed the mot.

Similar thing happened to me with my Cavalier years ago.

Phoned up to ask what the minimum pad thickness was, "3 mm" said the garage.

Went outside and measured them at 6 mm.

Took car in and got a call saying, "You need new pads", "No I fcuking don't, I measured them yesterday".

Thieving w4nkers. :pDT_Xtremez_25: :pDT_Xtremez_25: :pDT_Xtremez_25: :pDT_Xtremez_25:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
My car been doing strange things lately. It's a diesel Astra and occasionally, it gets stuck in a gear (usually first), and quite difficult to pull out.

Is this clutch problem?

As to cost of serviceing, my Astra gets serviced once a year or 20,000 miles and costs a of hundred and something quid at my local garage (200 minimum at the main dealer). Last time I needed a new rear spring (bloody lumps in the road).

::p:

Is it just in first or does it occur in other gears as well?
Easiest and cheapest first check would be gearbox oil.
Auto Lagunas used to get sold off dead cheap with auto box problems. 9 times out of 10 it was low oil level in the auto box........

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Is it just in first or does it occur in other gears as well?
Easiest and cheapest first check would be gearbox oil.
Auto Lagunas used to get sold off dead cheap with auto box problems. 9 times out of 10 it was low oil level in the auto box........

Forgive the ignorance, but how do I check the gerarbox oil?
Last service was a couple of thousand miles ago, before Xmas.

:pDT_Xtremez_17:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Forgive the ignorance, but how do I check the gerarbox oil?
Last service was a couple of thousand miles ago, before Xmas.

:pDT_Xtremez_17:

Do you have a haynes manual for the car?
It should detail, in the transmission section, where the level/filler plug and dipstick is and how to drain and refill the system.
You may have to remove a cover from beneath, but I'm not sure where abouts its all located on an astra.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I have a big scratch (10') on my motor, through the skin and now one rusty big line. What's the best way to renovate it? Wire wool and touch up paint or something gentler? :pDT_Xtremez_41:

F

fergo

Ok, looking for a bit of advice. Just got my degree result today so time to get a graduae loan and get a car for starting IOT. Think my budget is likely to be between £4k-£6k. I think I would like a hatchback and I am looking at second hand cars. My initial idea is a 1.6 Ford Focus 54 or 55 plate?

Does anyone have a good sugestion or any other ideas? Hoping the car can do me through IOT and Engo training and maybe a little bit beyond.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
A fine-ish grade of wet and dry to remove surface rust and a small amount of the surrounding paint.
Jenolite Jelly (quite often in POL!) applied to the rust, left for a bit and then cleaned off should remove most of the rust.
The most important thing before painting is to make sure the area is completely clean and grease free.
Most car spare shops do spray cans of paint to match your model and colour of car.
Practice your spraying technique on a gash bit of metal or something before you do your car.
Spray lightly to prevent overun and dribbles and do a few coats allowing each one to dry before applying the next.
Its worth masking off the surrounds so you dont get it on anything else!
After the paint has dried give it a T-cutting.
It can be done well by yourself, but it comes down to what sort of finish you are looking for as to how long you want to spend on it or whether to take it to a garage.

Good luck.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Ok, looking for a bit of advice. Just got my degree result today so time to get a graduae loan and get a car for starting IOT. Think my budget is likely to be between £4k-£6k. I think I would like a hatchback and I am looking at second hand cars. My initial idea is a 1.6 Ford Focus 54 or 55 plate?

Does anyone have a good sugestion or any other ideas? Hoping the car can do me through IOT and Engo training and maybe a little bit beyond.

Without a doubt, I'd go for a Merc. Personal preference, I know but you could probably pick up a nice E300 1997 ish for that with full service history. Built like tanks and will last years. Spares are cheaper than most.

fatboy11

Corporal
Stick with the Focus mate stunning handling and cheap to run. The 1.6 is a good engine but a little gutless under load, if you can do it go for the 1.8, the performance difference is huge compared to the minimal increase in running costs

F

fergo

Think that confirms it. I think i will have to go for a 1.6. I have nearly 4 years no claims but insurance on anything above a 1.6 becomes insane for someone of my age. Trying to convince the insurance company that i will have secure parking was a laugh.

G

grumpyoldb

Think that confirms it. I think i will have to go for a 1.6. I have nearly 4 years no claims but insurance on anything above a 1.6 becomes insane for someone of my age. Trying to convince the insurance company that i will have secure parking was a laugh.

How much more secure do they want, than a feckin' military base?:pDT_Xtremez_31:

P

POB

Trying to convince the insurance company that i will have secure parking was a laugh.

I believe the expression you need is "Secure/compound parking." They should accept that and give you the requisite discount!

fatboy11

Corporal

Just got a quote on line for Focus 1.8 Zetec, not much more than the 1.6, having driven both it's money well spent, however whichever you buy sweet chassis and good reliability

F

fergo

I believe the expression you need is "Secure/compound parking." They should accept that and give you the requisite discount!

Think we just about got there in the end. Total "Computer Says "no"" attitude. There is a fence, men wih guns and gaurd dogs that will bite your balls off is that secure enough?

F

fergo

Just got a quote on line for Focus 1.8 Zetec, not much more than the 1.6, having driven both it's money well spent, however whichever you buy sweet chassis and good reliability

Cheers, looking forward to getting a proper car. Currently got n 03 Corsa 1.2 so a wee bit of stamina shall make a difference.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Car Detailing

Car Detailing

Dear BEngO
I bet you thought/hoped that the site crashing would save you answering my question. However having experienced our comissioned bretheren dodging the question I happened to write it down and put it somewhere safe so:

Mrs Jardon recently reminded me that I am a responsible adult and grandfather and that if I insisted on driving a soft top car I should get myself one with a back seat (or words to that effect). So, the Porker has gone and been replaced with another Quality German Automobile in nice shiney Phantom Black Pearl Metallic.

Anyway I have decided to protect my new investment, I was going to get it detailed and coated in Autoglym's Lifetime Paint Protection System; but I am also considering investing in some decent products and equipment and doing it myself.

Which brings me to the real reason for this post; I quite like the look of this wheel cleaner but would value your professional opinion. Also have you any tips for removing pudding stains (not man fat) from Black Alcantra Leather heated seats.

Cheers

All the breast

Hu

Attachments

• Car wash.jpg
    Car wash.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 0

Goatherdingsplitter

Rebel without a clue
Dear BEngO
I bet you thought/hoped that the site crashing would save you answering my question. However having experienced our comissioned bretheren dodging the question I happened to write it down and put it somewhere safe so:

Mrs Jardon recently reminded me that I am a responsible adult and grandfather and that if I insisted on driving a soft top car I should get myself one with a back seat (or words to that effect). So, the Porker has gone and been replaced with another Quality German Automobile in nice shiney Phantom Black Pearl Metallic.

Anyway I have decided to protect my new investment, I was going to get it detailed and coated in Autoglym's Lifetime Paint Protection System; but I am also considering investing in some decent products and equipment and doing it myself.

Which brings me to the real reason for this post; I quite like the look of this wheel cleaner but would value your professional opinion. Also have you any tips for removing pudding stains (not man fat) from Black Alcantra Leather heated seats.

Cheers

All the breast

Hu

Sorry couldn't resist; grandfather yes, responsible adult - never:pDT_Xtremez_15:

Anyway down to the important stuff, where can I get one of those wheel cleaners, I've got some dirty muck to get off and my chamois leather just doesn't cut it anymore. Also looks like there's somewhere handy to park my bike:pDT_Xtremez_19: