• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BBC Sports personality of the year

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I was listening to the news this morning and it transpires that the golfing bosses in Britain have got the hump with the public for not voting for their super-hero McIlroy and putting Hamilton in the top spot. After this boss bloke droned on for about 2 minutes about how successful the golf people have been and he was blah blah blah... and then it goes to Hamilton.

He then said that there needs to be a root and branch inquiry in the golfing world as to why the great British public were not voting for the obvious winner.

Well speaking from personal experience I have a suggestion.

When someone goes to a golf club to inquire about joining, why not do the same as the majority of other clubs and welcome people with open arms. So instead of having to make an appointment for an initial interview with the membership secretary (or whatever title it is) who's first question is "what's your handicap?" and then when you say that you don't have one and want to join to learn to play golf, the interview is immediately concluded with a suggestion that you go and find a municipal golf course to practice on and come back with a piece of paper which certifies your handicap then we can discuss membership.

Ok so that happened to me quite a few years ago but I'm told it's a normal experience when trying to join a golf club. Certainly from my perspective, if I was ever inclined to pay the 25p or whatever it is to phone in and vote, anyone with a golf label would be bottom of my list. Or am I perhaps behind the times and starting out in golf these days is a good experience?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I was listening to the news this morning and it transpires that the golfing bosses in Britain have got the hump with the public for not voting for their super-hero McIlroy and putting Hamilton in the top spot. After this boss bloke droned on for about 2 minutes about how successful the golf people have been and he was blah blah blah... and then it goes to Hamilton.

He then said that there needs to be a root and branch inquiry in the golfing world as to why the great British public were not voting for the obvious winner.

When someone goes to a golf club to inquire about joining, why not do the same as the majority of other clubs and welcome people with open arms. So instead of having to make an appointment for an initial interview with the membership secretary (or whatever title it is) who's first question is "what's your handicap?" and then when you say that you don't have one and want to join to learn to play golf, the interview is immediately concluded with a suggestion that you go and find a municipal golf course to practice on and come back with a piece of paper which certifies your handicap then we can discuss membership.

Ok so that happened to me quite a few years ago but I'm told it's a normal experience when trying to join a golf club. Certainly from my perspective, if I was ever inclined to pay the 25p or whatever it is to phone in and vote, anyone with a golf label would be bottom of my list. Or am I perhaps behind the times and starting out in golf these days is a good experience?

Absolutely agree...as you may imagine I am surrounded by exclusive golf courses here in't Lakes...Windermere being of special note for requiring large amounts of funds and a secret handshake before entry is considered. Golf is its own worst enemy in many ways...

firestorm

Warrant Officer
The sad fact is that whilst the number of people watching golf is on the increase, actual participants are declining, see above for some of the reasons.
Personally, dragging a bag of sticks, ruining a good walk through sanitised parkland whilst dressed as Rupert the Bear/a middle aged American tourist isn't for me but hey ho, whatever floats your boat.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Let the public vote on any TV related thing and you will often get a result that probably doesnt fit the purists idea of how things should be. Look at Strictly - a section of the public always votes for the planks of wood, dancing pigs and mops keeping them in until they get out-numbered by people who are actually voting for what they are supposed to be, the talents of participants.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
In 2006 as a supporter of St helens rlfc we organised support to vote for saints as team of the year and we won it. Shows what an organised campaign can do.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
But that is what I call a proper sport. Not bashing a bit of plastic around a park.

But it shows what you can do if you organise your self's. They've changed the voting now gor team of the year it's decided by a panel of 30 journos.

Realist78

Master of my destiny

That's the good thing about playing golf in Scotland. No pretentions, cheap (with the exception of the really big clubs) and no prior handicap sh1te. Last time I was a member at Hopeman GC, it was £210 a year. Folks play golf in the SE to play with the bank manager etc.

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
I went to do a job at a golf club, I upset the committee by parking in the Club Captain's Parking Space, apparently having a blue light on your emergency service liveried vehicle doesn't give you carte blanche to park where you like.