• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Basra effects at home

S

shoutingwind

i've been mortared quite a few times at BAS and when i've got home jumped at the fireworks/ cars backfiring etc, but the worse one was from a couple of years ago. i'd been in theatre over xmas, then when i got back i went and did a frame cx in jan, unfortunatly the herc broke (now there's a suprize) so we went up to BAS so the guys up there could help us fix the frame. We were parked at the far end of the runway due to the cargo onboard, so quite close to the wire when i saw the flames coming out of the mortar tubes. all the lights were on the a/c and i really did have a panic attack- screaming at the guys to get the a/c turned off- if i could see the bad guys then the likelyhood was they could see us. wobbly was there too- i have never been so scared in all my life. when i got back to blighty i heard the attack alarm going off on a film and i was right back on the pan. very very scary stuff.

on a lighter note- out here in the deid you can buy american coffee. One day young SW was heard to say "Eee Zed open can? what the hell is an Eee-Zed open can?!?", the reply to which was "no SW, it ez (ee-zee) open..." i've never lived it down!!!

Edited : Just edited it a little so as not to let everyone know what we carry onboard hey littleun ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
Got back from Basra at end of November and was wondering how many people have upon reflection some embarassing / funny instances when they got back home. Here is mine for starters.
Got back home for RnR was napping on the two seater beside the wife when I heard 3 bangs I wake up at the same time attempting to swan dive to my floor as my wife is pulling on my shoulder shouting its ok its only the washing maching. She was washing large towels that make our machine bang just before the spin cycle. I recline back into sleep mode and she is LHAO.
Another when on RnR went to see Doc and was sitting in waiting room nice and quiet when a WAF medic walks past me and slams the door behind her. I could have snapped her neck for that, but she wasn,t to know where I had just come from.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Had a similar reaction 3 nights after getting back from a long tour out there in 2006. In bed, about 4 in the morning I must have been dreaming about a mortar attack that landed nearby at 04:00 while we were all asleep (bloody close). I jumped out off bed and hit the floor and was scrambling around on the floor for my helmet and body armour until I heard my missus say "What the bloody hell are you doing?". I was so convinced that the noise was actually outside I was hanging out of the window only to find total peace and quiet.

Ive had it a few times since but nowt over the past 12 months thankfully.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Think we all have a reaction to an unexpected loud noise no matter where we've been serving in IRQ on return. It's only if it goes on past a couple of months that may indicate you have a stress reaction that is a little more serious :S

P

pie sandwich

I still have flash backs when ever I hear the rifle range in use, and what happened to me was 3 years ago. I did mention it to the doc a few months after I got back that I was having nightmares and flashbacks, but in true military fashion I was told dont worry it will pass, and 3 years later still the odd nightmare and flashbacks, Cheers doc :pDT_Xtremez_14:

I

Inch High PI

I had a 122mm rocket land about 30m away from me last October, luckily I had HESCO in between me and where it landed. I heard the rocket motor whoosh and then a nice big bang.

After I got back I was in Huntingdon at a cashpoint and heard a big bang and got on the deck. Didn't feel stupid at all. Mind you knowing huntingdon it probably was a mortar!

sparks will fly

Corporal
I had a 122mm rocket land about 30m away from me last October, luckily I had HESCO in between me and where it landed. I heard the rocket motor whoosh and then a nice big bang.

After I got back I was in Huntingdon at a cashpoint and heard a big bang and got on the deck. Didn't feel stupid at all. Mind you knowing huntingdon it probably was a mortar!

Now I could believe that if you were in the Oxmore estate.:pDT_Xtremez_31:

skevans

Flight Sergeant
I was feeling a little edgy in Tesco's one day when a trolley some kids were playing with hit a display and several bottles of wine fell to the floor, the resulting noise saw me falling to the floor as well and crawling under the checkout!

Poor old Mrs Skevans had to explain to the crowd :(

sausage2

Decorated war hero
Administrator
1000+ Posts
I've been bombed loads of times in BAS and when I got home it did not affect me at all. You lot need a packet of these

wipes_new.jpg

So you can wipe your minges and man up.

Bitburger

England 2010 Campaign
1000+ Posts
I've been bombed loads of times in BAS and when I got home it did not affect me at all. You lot need a packet of these

wipes_new.jpg

Yes I can concur S2 took it like a man and carried out his PAR with total disregard for his own safety. The only thing I have flash back about Bas is Sausage2's nightly shadow puppet show where the snake was alway sick at the end.

Last edited:
P

Pete Gill

Was in BAS last xmas. got caught in open while on nights twice (mortars first time, 122 rockets 2nd) and to be honest, just got on with it. slept through everything by the end of my tour (the mortars and 107mms i was sleeping through within the first 2 weeks and by the last 3 weeks i was kipping through the 240mms) including the alarms. I'd go into Ops the next day/night and have a look on the board to see what had landed where and when. Came back and still kip though anything.

Back with a Bang

Back with a Bang

When I got back form Basra it was November the 1st, the first friday i was back just happened to be the stations Bonfire night. I was under the table at the first bang, with my heart in my mouth and the other end giving it 5 pence ten pence syndrome, still it did make the wife chuckle.!!

D

Douglas Bader's Right Leg

When I got back form Basra it was November the 1st, the first friday i was back just happened to be the stations Bonfire night. I was under the table at the first bang, with my heart in my mouth and the other end giving it 5 pence ten pence syndrome, still it did make the wife chuckle.!!

First bonfire night back was a hilarious experience for all involved. It is also amazing how a car door being slammed can sound like the splat of a mortar round!

I had difficulty getting out of the routine, for two weeks afterwards I would instinctively reach for the torch on my belt if it was a bit dingy. The missus and I went on holiday after I came back which helped break the cycle, but I was watching Panorama in AFG a couple of weeks ago and hearing the attack alarm again brought it all back.

"The base is under attack, all personnel are to don helmet and body armour and take cover. The base is under attack..."

It is amazing how blasé I was about it at the time. Everyone suffers from some level of PTSD, but if it stops you from living your life how you want to then you have to get it seen to.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
I found the hardest thing to get used to after returning from the COB was being able to go outside with nothing in my pockets (tournique and morph), no body armour and no helmet. Couldn't shake the feeling I was missing something!

E

enginesuck

Not Basra, but imagine my surprise when i returned from Seeb and there was no beef wellington for tea, oh how we all laughed when instead I got a pizza hut then proceeded to drink ten cans of tiger beer before Pi$$ing all over my wife.

Last edited:

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Saw first incoming today.

Was with a couple of guys waiting to watch the rotary fire (test) when the alarm went off. dived to the ground, but I saw the little blighter flying about a 1000 yards in front, horiziontal to the ground with the red tail.

Shanester

LAC

wipes_new.jpg

and you are a real d1ck for coming out with a coment like that, get back in your pram u tw*t!!:pDT_Xtremez_25:

Shanester

LAC

Was with a couple of guys waiting to watch the rotary fire (test) when the alarm went off. dived to the ground, but I saw the little blighter flying about a 1000 yards in front, horiziontal to the ground with the red tail.

I was there too mate, so which VASS dude are you and can you guess where I work?:pDT_Xtremez_34:

I was in work when hooter went off this morning. When I was checking the floor for ants one of the Navy techie types said he wasn't too concerned unless the the big rotary guns engage. Next thing you know, big guns engage. :pDT_Xtremez_17: