• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ATC on NCAITC

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
hope i've put this in the right place, just thought i'd get some goater's thoughts on the news that the raf are putting air traffic control trainee sergeants on the non-commisioned aircrew initial training course as they view it as just another sgt's course. would also like more info from those concerned as it's slightly confusing from a WSop point of view, got this vision of atc arriving wandering what the f**k is going on as the course is so geared up for NCA.
:pDT_Xtremez_21:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
No, this has been in the pipline for a while. Direct Entry ATC SNCO's will do phase 1 of the NCAITC, just like you to get qualified to Sgt level. When you go onto phase two, they will go to JATCC at Shawbury.

Hows that confusing?

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
hope i've put this in the right place, just thought i'd get some goater's thoughts on the news that the raf are putting air traffic control trainee sergeants on the non-commisioned aircrew initial training course as they view it as just another sgt's course. would also like more info from those concerned as it's slightly confusing from a WSop point of view, got this vision of atc arriving wandering what the f**k is going on as the course is so geared up for NCA.

A logical move. A ready made course that is accepted (!) as a cookie cutter for young SNCOs.

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
because a) we weren't told they were direct entrants and b) some of our training staff all appear a bit bemused by it which leaves cadets confused to say the least.
we've been told very little and then to hear training staff question it led me to ask for more info on the goat... cheers:pDT_Xtremez_14:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I wonder how much they will lower the standards to get these ATC types through?

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
this was one of the things I was wandering, will the standards remain the same regardless of trade? there are 4 on the next course, i get to do it again as i enjoyed it so much the first time.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I had a fast-track ATC bod working for me in my last job...He would not have passed the ITC...Not in a million years.

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
I wonder how much they will lower the standards to get these ATC types through?

Deary me, your fishing skills need to improve a bit more if you expect anyone to bite that little wriggler. :pDT_Xtremez_31:

The important thing will be whether the new DE's will be able to dumb down enough to fit in.

I'm frankly not surprised that no one appears to know anything about the new system at the sharp end. Tis ever the RAF way.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Deary me, your fishing skills need to improve a bit more if you expect anyone to bite that little wriggler. :pDT_Xtremez_31:

The important thing will be whether the new DE's will be able to dumb down enough to fit in.

I'm frankly not surprised that no one appears to know anything about the new system at the sharp end. Tis ever the RAF way.

You lot can have a head start on the runs and we'll cut some smaller tree's down so your pine poles don't weigh so much...:pDT_Xtremez_15:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Vim, There's a big difference between a 'fast tracker' and a DE. As for Foghorn not being told they were direct entrants... does it matter that much? how many ab initio NCA guys you got on the course btw.....

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
You lot can have a head start on the runs and we'll cut some smaller tree's down so your pine poles don't weigh so much...:pDT_Xtremez_15:

Running about? Not unless there's a cake at the finishing line. That's that idea fcuked then.

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So, this is all news to me. Surely, if they're doing the ITC (or equivalent) only about 10% should statistically pass unless they first go through the same aircrew selection at Cranwell? Interesting.

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Same selection process at OASC as everyone else. They just get streamed to JATCC.

Might help a bit with the Controller first, SNCO second comments on the introduction of the fast trackers.

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
just to outline my initial query, the NCAITC is so aircrew orientated I just wandered how ATC being on the course would effect the syllabus. i.e. the delivery will have to change as on the last course everything was related to being on the back of an aircraft in comms with flight crew, dealing with possible situations such as para's maybe not cooperating, having to deal with casevac's or shooting at taleban etc. The nav exercises are also very aircrew orientated, along with the fitness tests not being the standard RAF test I did at Halton and every other camp i've been to.
The course is run by aircrew (and two rock's) to produce aircrew, just wandered what effect ATC being on the course would have.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Just checking the quality of our future NCA.............. and is underimpressed!!!!
:pDT_Xtremez_05::pDT_Xtremez_05:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Yeah - second post.

So tell me - how would you train a DE ATC then that holds the same rank as you and requires the same basic SNCO skill and knowledge that you get taught on NCAITC? seems to me that they've got it right putting them through phase 1.

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
then maybe you should address the construction of "and is underimpressed" try "and I am under impressed"

by the way this is a forum and as such people write quickly and often use incorrect spelling or grammar, but as it is a forum not an examination most people let things slide.

back onto topic

the thing is i am in no way questioning potential SNCO's being on the same course, i'm not questioning ATC being on NCAITC. i am asking how goaters who have done the course or have knowledge of the course feel it will effect the course, how fellow goaters view the relevance of alot of the things on the course to ATC.

as i have mentioned it is not just a SNCO course, it also covers and prepares students for the syllabus at 55 sqn.

Last edited: