• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Assignment Order

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Can any scribbly tell me; Does an Assignment Order have any legal Standing after you've acknowledged it?
i.e. Is it effectively a lawful contract once acknowledged and do you know of any references to this if it has/is?

Cheers,

Ping

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Can any scribbly tell me; Does an Assignment Order have any legal Standing after you've acknowledged it?
i.e. Is it effectively a lawful contract once acknowledged and do you know of any references to this if it has/is?

Cheers,

Ping

Have you had a posting offer withdrawn or are you trying to get out of one?

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Have you had a posting offer withdrawn or are you trying to get out of one?

I'm FTRS. I acknowledged my new assigment order which took effect on 4 Nov and now the moneymen say they can afford me for another year and are trying to cancel it.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm FTRS. I acknowledged my new assigment order which took effect on 4 Nov and now the moneymen say they can afford me for another year and are trying to cancel it.

So are they trying to sack you? Anything in your ToS?

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So are they trying to sack you? Anything in your ToS?

RAFBird: FTRS: Full time Reserve Service

Downsizer: They're trying to wriggle out of the Assignment Order by saying it's not a legal document. I was always under the impression that once they'd been acknowledged, they formed a legally binding contract. This is all part of the current moritorium where they're not signing on or extending any more reservists.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
What did it say

What did it say

What did the AO say?

If you check your ToS you will find that both you or the Service could terminate your contact, with a period of notice, however the RAF normally let individuals serve out their current engagement, normally 2, 4 or 5 years at a time but could be anything, don't forget that the Reservist Contract runs along side this (normally with different aniversaries if your ex PTRS) and could also be terminated/not renewed.

The RAF have been using FTRS posts to put uniformed individuals in posts on the cheap, they don't appear on the stats as service personnel (they're not regular) and they are slightly cheaper.

Can you not push them for an ADC contract to tide you over and keep you some form of income (home to duty and full pension can make up a bit of the difference).

Mightierthan

Corporal
An assignment order is just like any other order, such as 'oy airman, sweep that hangar floor' - it can be rescinded or amended by the person giving the order.

P

pie sandwich

I would have assumed it to be a formal offer of employment, which you have accepted. If it has already started, then I think (don't quote me on this) but they would have to make you redundent and pay you accordingly.

However depending on the wording of the contract, it could be as if you were a connie then they could give you X amount of notice and thats it, but for perm staff in civvy street they have to give 90 days pay and can ask you not to come to work as of tomorrow.
I would assume (again) that FTRS is like a half way between forces and civvy rules of employment

Last edited:
J

Justacabbie

Here's a line from my latest assignment order.

This is an order within the meaning of the Services' Discipline Act

Guess thats your answer!​