• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Application to join RAF

L

loafing

blue_eyed_girl said:
thanks for that!

i shall not be eating pies as i do not like them ha!
they are not my kind of taste

You don't like pies??

Don't mention that at OASC as pie eating seems to be compulsory on: E3D, C130, Vicky10, Tristar, C17, Wokka & other rotary stuff. Pilots of pointy a/c tend not to eat pies as the mask gets in the way & you get crumbs everywhere, not that it stops Tonka Navs but hey, they are a special breed...

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
loafing said:
You don't like pies??

Don't mention that at OASC as pie eating seems to be compulsory on: E3D, C130, Vicky10, Tristar, C17, Wokka & other rotary stuff. Pilots of pointy a/c tend not to eat pies as the mask gets in the way & you get crumbs everywhere, not that it stops Tonka Navs but hey, they are a special breed...

Don't forget Nimrod crews who used to have the reputation for eating all the In-Flight goodies before they got airbourne!

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
Please stick to the thread topic or your off topic post will be deleted.

Off Topic Off Topic Off Topic

L

loafing

Can't believe I forgot to mention the Nimrod crews! Quite simply the best pie eaters in the world infact, If Carlsberg made pie eaters....

Good luck with whatever you apply for Blue Eyed Girl, it's a good time of year to get your application in.

Apologies for the thread drift Mr Wobbly, I'm used to Pprune where thread hijacking is almost expected!

B

blue_eyed_girl

Well i am just waiting to get my A level results then i can apply but i do not get the results until August! So not fair because i really want to apply now!

I am sick of waiting ha!

:pDT_Xtremez_41:

S

Smugley

Do it.

Do it.

Blue-eyed Girl. Picked up on this post and thought I could chip in.

WSOp application, go for it. Seems to be a lot of people miss the 'good old days', and fair 'enuff. But it's a different world and a different air force so make your own mind up, I say.

It's a long old drag getting though to OASC but by no means impossible, most people who fail (sorry, aren't successful) get off on the wrong foot by not dressing correctly and not knowing enough about the job. Think young conservative and you can't go far wrong.

Read up on current affairs, read the front page of a broadsheet everyday. Watch Channel 4 news. Pick six news subjects. 3 domestic and 3 overseas. The interviewers will ask you what caught your eye, so tell 'em about your least favourite and when they ask for more, mention your next favourite topic.

Swot up on the RAF, know station names, aircraft, current ops that involve your aircraft of choice. The RAF website has all you need.

Get fit, you pass OASC on a points score, if you get outstanding in your fitness test, you score max points for that part of selection. Don't flap about your medical or the applitude tests, you can't do much to change 'em.

Don't fret about the interview, most people consider it the make or break point. It's just part of the process. Be prepared i.e. RAF knowledge/current affairs. Form an opinion on your news subjects, right or wrong, they don't care (within limits of course).

Leadership tests aren't there to show your'e a leader, just to show you could be. These people aren't looking for Rommel, just sensible decisions made quickly. Team instructions should be informed, ask for advice, and then put a plan across confidently and enthusiastically.

Practise time/speed/distance equations for the written problem. These aren't hard but you're given precious little time to do them. Try logic problems to help you think the right way, look on the internet for OASC links, get as much out of the Careers Office as you possibly can.

If you're dead set for WSOp, don't let people try and change your mind. Just coz the RAF's short of Supply Officers or other jobs doesn't mean you should accept it, at the end of the day, they have slots to fill other than aircrew and will offer you allsorts. Stick to your plan, however, this is the biggie. WSOps now get streamed either Crewman (Rotary OR Fixed Wing or Sensors (Electronic Warfare or Acoustics) at 55(R) Sqn, Cranwell, after all your basic training and NCAITC course: YOU MAY NOT GET WHAT YOU WANT, even after all your hard work. You may get exactly what you wish for also, but just be prepared to change tack later down the line.

All in all, good luck.

B

blue_eyed_girl

That is absolutely amazing advice!

thanks you very much!

There was great information in that!

much appreciated

:pDT_Xtremez_30:

L

loafing

Just one add onto the great advice from Smugley...

you can increase your potential on the aptitude tests by practicing your basic maths & buying aptitude test books (very cheap). The books give you various problems to work through and although they can't teach you any new aptitudes, they will sharpen the aptitudes you do hold.

Good luck.

P.S. Never hurts to stick pilot down on your application form, it shows willing if nothing else!

B

blue_eyed_girl

loafing said:
Just one add onto the great advice from Smugley...

you can increase your potential on the aptitude tests by practicing your basic maths & buying aptitude test books (very cheap). The books give you various problems to work through and although they can't teach you any new aptitudes, they will sharpen the aptitudes you do hold.

Good luck.

P.S. Never hurts to stick pilot down on your application form, it shows willing if nothing else!

I have always wanted to be a pilot but i have a feeling that i will not get it, i would love to do it though, would be great!

thanks xx

S

Smugley

Pilot?

Pilot?

BEG, if you don't believe you can't do something then you'll never do it.

Believe me, I know more than one person who applied for NCA and became a pilot instead. You'll never know if you don't apply.

Also, have a good think about your options. Don't assume that NCA comes second place. Training for all aircrew is very hard going and the aptitude for, say, WSOP may differ distinctly from that for WSO or Pilot. Put down everything you want, you only get 2 chances at this and as I said above, the RAF will want to put you into the slots they need people in.

All the best.

B

blue_eyed_girl

:pDT_Xtremez_08:
Smugley said:
BEG, if you don't believe you can't do something then you'll never do it.

Believe me, I know more than one person who applied for NCA and became a pilot instead. You'll never know if you don't apply.

Also, have a good think about your options. Don't assume that NCA comes second place. Training for all aircrew is very hard going and the aptitude for, say, WSOP may differ distinctly from that for WSO or Pilot. Put down everything you want, you only get 2 chances at this and as I said above, the RAF will want to put you into the slots they need people in.

All the best.

That is really good is that, good thinking

All i need to do is get my results then i can reply, all i can do at the moment is wait

Bitburger

England 2010 Campaign
1000+ Posts
blue_eyed_girl said:

That is really good is that, good thinking

All i need to do is get my results then i can reply, all i can do at the moment is wait

And on the big day FFS remember it is I not i

B

blue_eyed_girl

Bitburger said:
And on the big day FFS remember it is I not i

Well sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrry!

Must remember to get it right just for YOU next time

B

Bombhead

Smugley said:
Blue-eyed Girl. Picked up on this post and thought I could chip in.

WSOp application, go for it. Seems to be a lot of people miss the 'good old days', and fair 'enuff. But it's a different world and a different air force so make your own mind up, I say.

It's a long old drag getting though to OASC but by no means impossible, most people who fail (sorry, aren't successful) get off on the wrong foot by not dressing correctly and not knowing enough about the job. Think young conservative and you can't go far wrong.

Read up on current affairs, read the front page of a broadsheet everyday. Watch Channel 4 news. Pick six news subjects. 3 domestic and 3 overseas. The interviewers will ask you what caught your eye, so tell 'em about your least favourite and when they ask for more, mention your next favourite topic.

Swot up on the RAF, know station names, aircraft, current ops that involve your aircraft of choice. The RAF website has all you need.

Get fit, you pass OASC on a points score, if you get outstanding in your fitness test, you score max points for that part of selection. Don't flap about your medical or the applitude tests, you can't do much to change 'em.

Don't fret about the interview, most people consider it the make or break point. It's just part of the process. Be prepared i.e. RAF knowledge/current affairs. Form an opinion on your news subjects, right or wrong, they don't care (within limits of course).

Leadership tests aren't there to show your'e a leader, just to show you could be. These people aren't looking for Rommel, just sensible decisions made quickly. Team instructions should be informed, ask for advice, and then put a plan across confidently and enthusiastically.

Practise time/speed/distance equations for the written problem. These aren't hard but you're given precious little time to do them. Try logic problems to help you think the right way, look on the internet for OASC links, get as much out of the Careers Office as you possibly can.

If you're dead set for WSOp, don't let people try and change your mind. Just coz the RAF's short of Supply Officers or other jobs doesn't mean you should accept it, at the end of the day, they have slots to fill other than aircrew and will offer you allsorts. Stick to your plan, however, this is the biggie. WSOps now get streamed either Crewman (Rotary OR Fixed Wing or Sensors (Electronic Warfare or Acoustics) at 55(R) Sqn, Cranwell, after all your basic training and NCAITC course: YOU MAY NOT GET WHAT YOU WANT, even after all your hard work. You may get exactly what you wish for also, but just be prepared to change tack later down the line.

All in all, good luck.

:pDT_Xtremez_32:

Top info from smugley. If I could add to that I would suggest you go into your local AFCO and let them know you are interested in applying for the RAF. At this point you will fill in a form called the AFCO1 with just minor details about yourself, but what this will do is your details will be recorded as an information seeker and when you go go back later to apply this will show that you were interested and have gone away to research your given trade. DO NOT be put off by any questions about other trades stick to the one you want and tell them this is what I want to do. Too many people go in and say I want to be this and when the recruiter says how do you fancy this or this it shows they do not know what they really want and all they want to do is get into the RAF.

Stick to your guns girl. Hope this helps.

B

blue_eyed_girl

Bombhead said:
:pDT_Xtremez_32:

Top info from smugley. If I could add to that I would suggest you go into your local AFCO and let them know you are interested in applying for the RAF. At this point you will fill in a form called the AFCO1 with just minor details about yourself, but what this will do is your details will be recorded as an information seeker and when you go go back later to apply this will show that you were interested and have gone away to research your given trade. DO NOT be put off by any questions about other trades stick to the one you want and tell them this is what I want to do. Too many people go in and say I want to be this and when the recruiter says how do you fancy this or this it shows they do not know what they really want and all they want to do is get into the RAF.

Stick to your guns girl. Hope this helps.

That's top thanks!

I think I have already filled that in, I went into the careers a while ago and they sent me a form in the post to fill in and send off when i'm 16 (went when I was 15 lol) so I sent it off when I turned 16 and that was that

I am guessing that was probably the form you mean?
hope so anyway

much appreciated advice!