• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anyone had a letter from mobilisation?

I’ve been out 14 years, did 22 and F my old boots I didn’t realise I was on the reserve list till age 60! I’m 54 now. Never heard a peep from the RAF, and why would I? Or so I thought, until yesterday.

Letter received was asking my current address confirmation and latest job role. The thing is, it was addressed to my old MQ, which was knocked down 14 years ago, even the street doesn’t exist anymore. I only got presented with as (as luck would have it) I still work on the camp I demobbed from.

Is this the MOD attempting to get their ducks in a row, just in case? Or is it standard? Anyone else had one?

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
They know where you live anyway if you're in receipt of a pension. I can't hide anyway given where I work. 😂👍

Edit - My brother who is an ex-fishhead has received such a letter and promptly binned it. He only did 9 so no pension and certainly no intent of anything further to do with the military if he can help it.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm pretty sure these get sent out periodically.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I still remember when it went from 9+6 continuous to 9+ 6 forever, doubt you’d pass a medical so don’t worry about it, one of the big things reservists get early demob for is teeth by the way.

Deltaitem

Corporal
I’ve been out 14 years, did 22 and F my old boots I didn’t realise I was on the reserve list till age 60! I’m 54 now. Never heard a peep from the RAF, and why would I? Or so I thought, until yesterday.

Letter received was asking my current address confirmation and latest job role. The thing is, it was addressed to my old MQ, which was knocked down 14 years ago, even the street doesn’t exist anymore. I only got presented with as (as luck would have it) I still work on the camp I demobbed from.

Is this the MOD attempting to get their ducks in a row, just in case? Or is it standard? Anyone else had one?
I haven't had one. It's probably nothing, but may be worth seeing if you've still got your issue PT somewhere in the loft. You never know...:unsure:

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
one of the big things reservists get early demob for is teeth by the way.

Until the goalposts are moved on that one I guess.

Though to be fare, should we be in the situation that battered old farts (Ukraine/Russia) are being asked to complete MOD 1/2 once again (like a much swearier version of 'Dad's Army') then our backs are against the wall anyway.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

A letter addressed to a house that doesn't exist, in a street that doesn't exist, somehow (as luck would have it) found it's way into your hands fourteen years after the RAF forgot about you?

Is it possible that you've found yourself on the receiving end of a workplace prank?

And if you have, thanks for sharing it with E-Goat 😜

I received one the other day (did 23 years, been out 6 years) - I was bored enough to ring them up, turns out the RN have been sending them out for years, the RAF have only just decided to start sending them out, and there was me thinking I was being sent to Ukraine!!!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
No letters have yet arrived at TB towers and it's all very interesting that a potential call up of senior chaps is a remote possibilty. However if old TB gets the call, boy are we in trouble, a proper KOS with a dicky ticker if the country needs me to move forward we've probably already lost. But the crucial thing is will I still get free socks and early stacks on Friday's.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
I had one a few months ago.

Dutifully filled out all the information they already knew as they somehow managed to get the letter to my current address (the same one all my pension guff goes to unsurprisingly).

Still in reserve service allegedly...

From the Service Leavers Guide
An airman who completes 16 years’ service or less will be transferred to the RAF Reserve of Airmen for a period of 6 years. This is followed by a recall liability of 12 years or until age 55, whichever is the sooner. Army other ranks who complete their VEng and airmen who leave the RAF with more than 15 years’ service have a recall liability for 18 years or until age 55 whichever is the sooner. With the exception of those in the Army VEng, personnel who leave the Regular Forces on completion of 22 years’ service have a recall liability until age 55 or for 18 years from the date of leaving service, whichever is the sooner.

On leaving the RAF, officers serving on permanent commissions in the RAF in the rank of Group Captain or below and commissioned before 1 April 1997 have a recall liability until their 60th years. 1* and 2* RAF officers have a recall liability until age 65 and 3* and 4* have a liability until 67. RAF officers commissioned on or after 1 April 1997 and who hold permanent commissions have a liability to recall until age 55 years or for 18 years from the time of leaving the RAF, whichever is the sooner

A letter addressed to a house that doesn't exist, in a street that doesn't exist, somehow (as luck would have it) found it's way into your hands fourteen years after the RAF forgot about you?

Is it possible that you've found yourself on the receiving end of a workplace prank?

And if you have, thanks for sharing it with E-Goat 😜

The ‘benefits’ of having a wife who works in central registry. Swathes of the things turned up!

They of course have my current details as all my pension stuff comes to my house, so it seems a bit daft on their part.

Last edited: