• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anyone else got premium bonds?

foxOneFive

Corporal
The expert saving money bloke on the web has been telling me for years that 1.4% per year is your best if you are "Mr lucky?"
Well I've had them for 15 years now and only once been bellow that . Just worked out the last year & at 1.65%.
I think his power switch company thing has a flaw or 2 to be honest?

Last edited:

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Got 30K worth and averaging £25 per month.
Every £1 is worth a pound when they are cashed and still have a chance of the big one.

rebbonk

SAC
£10k and winning almost every month. Sometimes the minimum (£25) but several times rather more. IMO they're still not a bad 'investment' whilst interest rates are generally so low

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I had about 8k for a short while. Someone told me you always win in the first month and I did...then nothing. Sold them in the end to fund a house purchase and haven't got back into them since they reduced the prize pot.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I got mine through a syndicate - Total of 10 shares @ £10 / month and I was in for 2 shares. All winnings went back into bonds, When someone left the syndicate their share was cashed in and away they went.

New shareholders came in at £x and when they left they got the difference between £x and the current pot/10.

It took just over 10 years to build up a bloody good share.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I found £200 worth in my mother's name(she'd already passed away) when my dad passed away. They are still in her name and it seems too like too much hassle to cash them in.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
I found £200 worth in my mother's name(she'd already passed away) when my dad passed away. They are still in her name and it seems too like too much hassle to cash them in.

If it was a couple of quid, fair enough - but £200? If you don't want it, i'm sure a charity would snap your hand off!

Also, i take it you've checked there aren't any winners?

I've got a few k of bonds, had them around 15 years and in all that time, 1 x £25 win!

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
If it was a couple of quid, fair enough - but £200? If you don't want it, i'm sure a charity would snap your hand off!

Also, i take it you've checked there aren't any winners?

I've got a few k of bonds, had them around 15 years and in all that time, 1 x £25 win!
I don't know how a charity could cash them in. It's hard enough for me, that's why I've not bothered

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
It doesn't sound too difficult, but i've never tried:

There was a big fallout with my siblings after my father's death. So cashing them in would be difficult. I can't be arsed going through all the paperwork to be honest.

rebbonk

SAC
I got mine through a syndicate - Total of 10 shares @ £10 / month and I was in for 2 shares. All winnings went back into bonds, When someone left the syndicate their share was cashed in and away they went.

New shareholders came in at £x and when they left they got the difference between £x and the current pot/10.

It took just over 10 years to build up a bloody good share.

Back in the 70s we had a scheme like that. I believe it wasn't strictly legal as they were supposed to be personal holdings? Anyhow, as the sprog I was regularly given the newspaper print out of winning numbers and tasked with checking if any of our numbers had come up. Right b*ll ache of a job!

Old John

LAC
My wife and I have bonds as a 'holding account' until we need money for a holiday or similar. It takes about 3 days to cash in.
We use a phone app that tells us each month if we have won.
We normally win one or two £25 prizes a month at least.
Makes more interest than sitting in a bank account

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
All mine are being very, very Quiet....Hmmmm!

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
You can have them legally transferred to you as part of inheritance as long as you inform them of their demise with proof of Death Certs.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
All mine are being very, very Quiet....Hmmmm!
Was winning £25 a month, then nothing from Feb `20.
That`s a four month gap.

Went to confirm figures and got this...

Sorry for the delay

We’re holding you in a queue before we connect you to our secure website. When you reach the front of the queue, you’ll have 10 minutes to continue.

What is this?

Your queue number: 894917
Number of people ahead of you: 18
Expected arrival time on the website: 14:18
Estimated waiting time: less than a minute

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Premium Bonds? Who needs those when my Halifax Savings Account promises a whole 0.1% interest rate?!

4everAD

Sergeant
Got £3000 worth in Jan this year, only won £25 once so far but one more win this year and I'm beating the pittance the banks are paying in interest.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Got £3000 worth in Jan this year, only won £25 once so far but one more win this year and I'm beating the pittance the banks are paying in interest.
Pittance you say! If I save a whole £1000 my bank will give me a whole shiny £1! That's almost a bag of Haribo!

foxOneFive

Corporal
I'm no way flush enough, but I know 2 peeps who have the 50k max and they on average get around £75 a month, mainly in £25's.
My lucky sister a few months ago who only has around 10k in, won a grand