• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Another sad loss

Never had the privilege of meeting you, but having just read the report on MOD News I fully understand all the previous comments, we could do with more like you right now. RIP sir and sincere condolences to your family and friends.

Bitburger

England 2010 Campaign
1000+ Posts
RIP. I knew Ant when he was a young JEngO on the Hercs. A top guy and a true Gent.

nimbatboy

LAC
Sqn Ldr Ant Downing

Sqn Ldr Ant Downing

Ant was OC NLS when I was on my last tour at KSS on the MR2. Prior to that our paths had crossed at Strike but not massively.

In my dealings with him "up the road" he always came across as the epitome of what you'd want as a SEngO. F***ing bright, a real heart for his blokes, pragmatic and enthusiastic - this in the face of some damned difficult times towards the end of the MR2. He'd stand ground for his lads & lasses in the face of some very forceful Sqn personalities and we all knew that his word was his bond.

A real loss to the Service as a whole and the RAF Engineer team in particular. I have a BIG glass of Shiraz in front of me just now; probably won't be the last one tonight......

Sleep well Ant

NB

sumps

Sergeant
I worked for Ant in Eng Ops at Lyneham and on det, he was a real gent' and a dam good boss. I will always remember him at a leaving do fro a SEngO downing a pint in one and then reciting a 10 minute leaving speech (that rhymes) from memory. In work he was a real driver, he loved and lived for the RAF. He is going to be missed.

My deepest sympathy to both families.

Sumps

B

Bluntend

One of the best.

One of the best.

I thought I'd share this pic. Sums the guy up pretty well. RIP my friend.

Attachments

• 229942_10150175618681481_573731480_7367178_1161127_n.jpg
    229942_10150175618681481_573731480_7367178_1161127_n.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 0

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
Ant just done it 100% , he crambed a lifetime into 34 years . RIP a true legend and the biggest loss to the RAF in a time where it needs characters and strength. Huge loss that cannot ever be replaced.

You up there now and we all join you at some time mate for beers in heaven .

RIP

kawoloki

Sergeant
Along with the glowing tributes to S/L Downing one here and facebook I'd like to say that even though I didn't know him too well he was easily the best SENGO I have worked under. While on NLS I never heard a bad word directed towards him. For a SENGO to acheive this on any SQN is practically unheard of!

I always appreciated being spoken to as a human being and the fact he always remembered my name. All in all a top bloke, very sad loss especially for his family and also the RAF as a whole.

R.I.P

S

Scribbly

There is transport avail from Northolt to the funeral, and some from Brize. PM me if you want further details.

S

nimbatboy

LAC
Ant's Funeral

Ant's Funeral

Ant was laid to rest today in the churchyard at Kingsdown in Kent.

An absolutely amazing send off. I'd estimate in the order of 350 people in the church and about 130 or so of us outside. All ranks, tri-service, from 2*'s to LAC's and equivalents. To say that I have the greatest of respect for his parents is an understatement to put it mildly. Some funny anecdotes, real insights into the heart of the man; I met them at the Golf Club after the event and to say I was in awe of them - well, another understatement.

Top marks to the QCS lads - the business. Very very well done. Likewise the C130 crew for the flypast; bang on top, right on time - I was stood near a couple of members of his family and they were utterly taken aback. Well done guys, that meant so much to people at the graveside.

The opportunity to stand at the graveside, salute and say cheerio - I will not forget that. Ant will rest well, sent off by the most loving family and some amazing friends. I am really proud to count myself amongst them and to have been able to make it to say goodbye.

Sleep well buddy

NB

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
And at such a bad time, too.
RIP, mate. You did your duty.

Condolences to the bereaved and sympathy to his mates.