• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Almighty Fcuk Ups

Mustang

Corporal
almighty fcuk ups

almighty fcuk ups

Wasn't there another Harrier display pilot who landed after his display, stood up on his EJ seat and bowed to his adoring crowd and then promptly set off the seat with his foot through the loop getting out 'cos he forgot to put the pins in? Might be urban myth but the old gray bits seem to remember something..........

The accident was a freak. The pilot (a Sqadron Leader) got the QRB trapped between the seat frame and the handle. When he stood on it the QRB acted like a fulcrum. He didn't make that mistake again or any others.:pDT_Xtremez_34:

Another Harrymould incident (also a Gütersloh ac). Somewhere in Germany at a display, whilst in the hover one or more turbine blades went on a walk about. Whilst meandering around the airframe they cut the occasional pipe or two,nothing serious, just fuel and hydraulics. The pilot not knowing exacty what was wrong tried to perform an RVL but as he was losing power and control decided to go for a walk. The crowd watched this happen and as the seat came down all decided to go 2 paces rearwards march! All except one, ex Bundeswehr, he took cover. Error, he chose the same spot as the bang seat, even worse he got there first!:pDT_Xtremez_34: :pDT_Xtremez_34:

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
Vc-10

Vc-10

Saw a piccy of a VC 10 sat on its tail with the nose in the air.
Something to do with a faulty fuel gauge, reporting forward tanks full. and when the tail got filled, it upset the balance and it see saw'd onto its tail.

Bet that took some explaining.....

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Saw a piccy of a VC 10 sat on its tail with the nose in the air.
Something to do with a faulty fuel gauge, reporting forward tanks full. and when the tail got filled, it upset the balance and it see saw'd onto its tail.

Bet that took some explaining.....

I was at Brize at the time, it took about 24 hours to get the thing back down again. We were having our Christmas draw at the time in the Section when somebody shouted, suddenly the whole of GEF ****ed out their heads are walking down the airfield with the boss desperately trying to get us back in the teabar. I also heard they had only just got the work experience kid off the jet seconds before they realised it was going to tip.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Now we have all made fcuk ups during our careers. I admit there have been times when I have embarrased myself and my seniors, however, this mornig I heard a story whilst I was on CO's inspections that made anything I have done pale into insignificance.

It relates to a trashed Harrier sat in a Hangar at Tossford waiting for disposal. The story is that it was part of 1 Sqn attached to HMS Illustrious. Now from what I was told this morning it was being flown back to ship when the Pilot somehow managed to miss the ship completely and ditch the multi-million pound aircraft into the big salt.

Like I say it makes my balls up seem trivial. Can anybody top it for a fcuk up?

IIRC it was a SAOEU Harrier, and it went into the drink a few weeks after I gave up the best job in TG17 (SAOEU Registry) for the life of Bratwurst, Wobbly & tax-free cars. :pDT_Xtremez_30: The pilot (whose career was apparently not affected by the incident) was lining the ac up with the deck, dumped his excess fuel, then stalled the ac before he made the hop onto the landing plaftorm.

All my fcuk ups (of which there have been many) pale into insignificance by comparison. I have never blown more than a couple of hundred of Her Majesty's pounds. I did once get a major b0ll0cking for paying somebody £4.25 to which they were entitled but had not actually claimed.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Well let me add my IIRC bit...................it was a 1 (F) SQN Harrier btw.....
The Harrier was coming on to the deck sideways from left to right and was too low. The ensuing ground effect tipped it over and it entered the sea nearly upside down. The ejection occurred and during it, I believe, was when the pilot had a brain anurism. Hardly suprising being ejected into/under water.

The one that went in at the airshow in Germany................
If you are lucky enough to have access to the video you can see the top box split from the seat and then pile into someone in the crowd.

How about the Chinook at another German airshow (Hannover?) that taxied in and had its rear blades clip a walkway. Flipped the thing right up in the air and burnt itself and crew to a crisp. (RIP fellas)

beer

SAC
Wasn't there another Harrier display pilot who landed after his display, stood up on his EJ seat and bowed to his adoring crowd and then promptly set off the seat with his foot through the loop getting out 'cos he forgot to put the pins in? Might be urban myth but the old gray bits seem to remember something..........

This was no urban myth! It was at Yeovilton in 1975 and it happened about 100 ft away from where we members of the "Cranwell Poachers" Groundcrew were relaxing with a few "tinnies" on the wing of one of our trusty JP's.

It was the closest I have very come to choking and sh1tting myself in the one movement! Poor bugger went up with a mighty whoosh and came back to earth not to far from us! :pDT_Xtremez_34:

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
ooooops!

ooooops!

A couple of incidents from my days on flying death Bananas...

A chinook deployed on HMS Ocean attempted a straight in landing (similar to a fast jet landing on a carrier). Unfortunately the rear of the deck pitched up with the swell and removed said chinook's rear wheels!

A second chinook operating somewhere with a lot more sand than water, flared a little too much on landing. Rear blades tipped the ground and the whole of the aft pylon was torn off by the torque!

Apparently it was repaired using an old argentinian chinook rear pylon that we'd had stored since the end of the war in 1982.

It was stored in our hangar for a while... shame I didn't get any pictures...!

I know of loads of others...but I don't want to incriminate myself... err anyone that may have been involved.:pDT_Xtremez_42:

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
Just to assure you that it is not just the techie world. Was based on hospital ward with me and SNCO having problems removing a wound drain from a patients thigh both concluded that it was stitched in but was not written in notes so would consult with surgeon. Enter Army captain who accused us of incompetence etc etc and then proceeded to yank at drain. After a huge amount of pulling, patient howling there was an almighty twang, Army captain flew across ward and patient was booked into theatre for removal of the remainder of drain. Cue smug RAF Cpl and Sgt and a few told you so's.

Mustang

Corporal
Almighty fcuks ups

Almighty fcuks ups

Whilst at Scampton late eighties I witnessed several entertaining sessions of the Dead Sparrows. One particular pilot was fond of retracting flaps and gear the moment he got off the ground and then extending the air brake (tech note the air brake on the Hawk in underneath, along with a 200 gallon tank full of Avtur/Kero for the smoke. The airbrakes are used because the jets are actually too fast for an airshow). One day our steely eyed hero exceded himself, suffice it to say that Martin Bakers products are very good! :pDT_Xtremez_31: The ac ended up abeam the 23 threshold facing the runway, from the tower it looked like it was holding for take off! Even better the smoke tank had burst and the once shiny red jet was now dark blue one side and more or less red (a bit like our hero's face) on the other side. Posting to a safer less glamorous area followed. :pDT_Xtremez_08: PS The ADR revealed selection of flaps, gear and airbrakes in LESS than half a second after take off!

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
Was on the sunny med island when a sqn of Jags had a S/l promoted to Wing Co did a low level fly past to celebrate and took the top off on of the lighting pylons and was quickly arrested. Allegedly! Dont know whether he kept his promotion.

shettie

Flight Sergeant
How about the Chinook at another German airshow (Hannover?) that taxied in and had its rear blades clip a walkway. Flipped the thing right up in the air and burnt itself and crew to a crisp. (RIP fellas)

Dusseldorf - and the loady was the only one to not walk away as far as I remember... There wasn't a lot left of the airframe though... the AI's were putting the jigsaw together in the 230 Sqn hangar for a couple of months afterwards

R

Reformed Scribbly

"Was on the sunny med island when a sqn of Jags had a S/l promoted to Wing Co did a low level fly past to celebrate and took the top off on of the lighting pylons and was quickly arrested. Allegedly! Dont know whether he kept his promotion." Penfold.

I was out looking at radars up the mountain at the same time, he'd just heard he'd been picked up and was going to take over another Sqn. That didn't happen. As far as I remember he wasn't arrested, but everyone in the bar knew exactly who he was...

Jrids

SAC
I'm suprised no one has mentioned the old story about the :pDT_Xtremez_21:92 sqn :pDT_Xtremez_14: Phantom that shot down the Jag early 80's in rafg. The Jock had signed for battle flight spare but argued at the CM that the Plummers should have left the saftey pins in (or something like that) Got off it.