• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Allotments and gardening 2011

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
Help...... of 8 Tom Plants (money maker) 3 seem to have got "curly leaves" and the leaves have a dried out appearance (although not dry if you see what i mean) plants are watered regulary (in grow bags) and have been fed with tomorite once a week. one of these plants has managed to fruit but only X1 Tom. all my other plants are doing OK any advice gratefully received. :pDT_Xtremez_19:

You should be thinking about thinning out the lower leaves about now anyway. This will allow air and light to get around the fruit. I usually do it a few leaves at a time and by the end of July all thats left are a few right at the top and all the trusses.

By the way, be careful of the 'juice' that you get from where you snap the leaf off. It gets on your hands and can invoke the wrath of Senior Management when hand towels are inspected.

G

grumpyoldb

The first cases of potato blight have been recorded in Fife.
As yet there are no known cases in England. Fingers crossed and got the sprayer to hand.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The first cases of potato blight have been recorded in Fife. As yet there are no known cases in England. Fingers crossed and got the sprayer to hand.

Got a link to your info grumps? Fife a very long way from me but with the rain and sunshine this weekend here in the midlands we could theoretically have had a Smiths Period* though from what I can find via the t'interweb none have been reported yet!

*Smith Periods - Blight forecasting has often been based on the occurrence of "Smith periods". A "Smith period" is a 48 hour period in which the minimum temperature is 10°C or more and the relative humidity exceeds 90% for at least 11 hours during the first 24 hours and for at least 11 hours again during the final 24 hours.

G

grumpyoldb

Got a link to your info grumps?

Here you go mate.

www.bligh****ch.co.uk
That is actually blight watch ................. all one word but the forum software is reading part of the word as tw@t. :pDT_Xtremez_42:

If you register (free) with them, they email you if there is a smith period in your area.

On the left hand side of the page there is a link to "fight against blight.

On there you can see maps of the uk with blight infected areas marked in red."

If you click on the map of southern scotland you can see the infected area.

Last edited:
P

pie sandwich

I was just wondering if anyone knows what I can do to get rid of some white mould that are on the face of my Courgette leaves.

Also, my peas seem to be drying out and going brown, Ive had one good harvest from them, and I know you usually get two ( 3 if you count mong two :pDT_Xtremez_14: )

Hot Shoes

Corporal
powdery mildew

powdery mildew

I was just wondering if anyone knows what I can do to get rid of some white mould that are on the face of my Courgette leaves.
)

My courgettes & marrows are suffering from it as well, its this years weather, wet leaves, dry roots and not enough air around the plant, pretty harmless just stunts the growth and will eventually do for the plant..

Its powerdery mildew, loads on the internet about it.
In a nutshell you can spray with nastys, then you cannot eat the courgettes or try the organic approach, remove and destroy affected leaves then spray the plant with a mix of 1/2 tsp of food grade bicarb of soda, 1 pt semi-skimmed milk and a drop of fairy liquid to make it adhere to the leaves, do this weekly.

Next year, there are mildew resistant varieties out there.

Last edited:
P

pie sandwich

My courgettes & marrows are suffering from it as well, its this years weather, wet leaves, dry roots and not enough air around the plant, pretty harmless just stunts the growth and will eventually do for the plant..

Its powerdery mildew, loads on the internet about it.
In a nutshell you can spray with nastys, then you cannot eat the courgettes or try the organic approach, remove and destroy affected leaves then spray the plant with a mix of 1/2 tsp of food grade bicarb of soda, 1 pt semi-skimmed milk and a drop of fairy liquid to make it adhere to the leaves, do this weekly.

Next year, there are mildew resistant varieties out there.

Cheers mate.

I did the washing up liquid and water to get rid of green fly which worked a treat, so I will add some Bicarb of Soda and give it a go.

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
That feckin' cat that has been cr@pping in my garden will now be regretting it. Every night despite my best efforts to deter it, Jeyes fluid on a rag to make the area pong, prickly cuttings off my berberis, etc., it has left its stinking calling card. So last night I put down a chunk of tuna with a blob of Dave's Insanity Sauce concealed inside. This morning it had gone. Result!!! I reckon there must be a mog somewhere with an @rsehole like a WW2 Japanese flag.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Curry powder has always done the trick for me.....:pDT_Xtremez_31: