• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Allotments 2010

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
but it's an improvement to last years bumper crop of weeds!
HTB

Dunno about that, this years weeds are looking mighty fine mate, in fact you can hardly see the leeks in amongst them at all. Hows your lone spud doing?:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Last edited:

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Weeds

Weeds

TB, just have a look at when I posted the one about lack of weeds and an over abundance of tyres.

It was over a week ago.

A lot can happen in a week on the allotment!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

HTB

W

wgaf

Right lads need some advice on some gooseberry bushes. Planted them as seeds in early spring and they've come on a treat. They are all about a foot and a half tall and still in individual pots. When do I put them in the ground or do I winter them inside? Also how long before I get some fruit of them?
Cheers

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Right lads need some advice on some gooseberry bushes. Planted them as seeds in early spring and they've come on a treat. They are all about a foot and a half tall and still in individual pots. When do I put them in the ground or do I winter them inside? Also how long before I get some fruit of them? Cheers

From what little I have read the bushes need to be dormant before planting out so wait until autumn. Can't think of a reason to keep them indoors though, they will be outside for years once you plant them. A tiny bit of gen here

http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=59098.0

and here

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_june_2_gooseberry.asp

Last edited:

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Right lads need some advice on some gooseberry bushes. Planted them as seeds in early spring and they've come on a treat. They are all about a foot and a half tall and still in individual pots. When do I put them in the ground or do I winter them inside? Also how long before I get some fruit of them?
Cheers

I thought you only grew weeds?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
In the Red corner the immovable object, the gardening Rock of Gibraltar, my Rhubarb stand, with roots down to the earths core and waist high stems topped by leaves 2 feet across. In the Blue corner the unstoppable force, the kids relentless halloween pumpkin plant all tendrills, runners and menace. Sometime in the next 48 hours they will make contact. Who is your money on??

G

grumpyoldb

In the Red corner the immovable object, the gardening Rock of Gibraltar, my Rhubarb stand, with roots down to the earths core and waist high stems topped by leaves 2 feet across. In the Blue corner the unstoppable force, the kids relentless halloween pumpkin plant all tendrills, runners and menace. Sometime in the next 48 hours they will make contact. Who is your money on??

I'll see your rhubarb and pumpkin, and raise you my courgettes.............!

They're just about out of the gate. :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Thinking seriously about courgette wine for crimble. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

W

wgaf

Got my patch all sorted and it's coming together (Downsizer yours is a disgrace!) What I need to know is, is it worth me planting anything over winter? When I took it over it was a mess and I'm tempted to shove a load of manure in the ground and leave it over winter. However having rotovated it my allotment neighbour has informed that the soil is that good it probably doesn't need it. So what do I plant now?

G

gemarriott

Got my patch all sorted and it's coming together (Downsizer yours is a disgrace!) What I need to know is, is it worth me planting anything over winter? When I took it over it was a mess and I'm tempted to shove a load of manure in the ground and leave it over winter. However having rotovated it my allotment neighbour has informed that the soil is that good it probably doesn't need it. So what do I plant now?

Get some good seed catalogues and have a look see what takes your fancy. Get some garden lime on the patch you intend to grow brassicas in ASAP so it can over winter,

suttons.co.uk are my faviourite on line catalogue

Entropy

Sergeant
What I need to know is, is it worth me planting anything over winter?

I am a beginner at this and I stand to be corrected by the experts.

I understand that over wintering onion sets are fairly idiot proof. Rasberry canes go in in the winter but you may not, not too sure here, not get any fruit in yr1. I think spring early cabbages go in in the autumn as well. Also I would say read up on early slad crops as I THINK some things can go in before the winter.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So what do I plant now?

Not much in mid August. You could chuck in some salad standards like lettuce and radish they might just be ready before the first frosts hit. Similarly beetroot could just about make it. Bit early for onion sets, shallots, garlic etc mid late autumn would be better. Try a bean variety Aquadulce Claudia for late autumn planting giving you beans in April May rather than the traditional August Sept. There might be a case for planting winter brassicas but why grow winter slug food. I agree with Gem ground prep during the coming autumn and winter period might not show much now but will be of benefit next spring. No matter how good your soil may be it will get tired and need feeding so adding manure can only do good. However don't manure your carrot and parsnip beds, the crops will fork and don't lime your spud beds.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Whats the score with you Wiltshire AT base chaps ref your allotments do you have an on camp set up like us lot at the West Midlands training base or have you all joined a civvy allotment site?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Cheap seeds

Cheap seeds

Wyevale garden centres have started their 50p seed sale. So today I got sweetcorn, spring onion, leeks, runner beans, carrots, lettuce and parsnips all Thompson and Morgan seeds. The 7 items had a total packet price of £14.99 but I only paid £3.50 bargain. All are well indate most are 2012 but one packet is 2013 so hopefully no worries about germination. Get in.