• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Allotments 2010

G

grumpyoldb

That time of year is upon us and I have found my true vocation in life. I have two tons of sh.............. erm manure arriving in the morning so it'll be an hour of sh............... erm, manure shovelling for me. I'll pile it up in my bin untill Nov and then get it spread on the beds nice and thick. The soil is a bit undernourished so it's getting a good dollop this year.

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Finally managed to squeeze a couple of hours out of my busy schedule to attend to my weeds....er allotment plot.

Turned over a quarter of my plot (it measures 8m x 3m approx), removed a shed load of weeds and re-covered all my unused areas for the winter.

I moved my leeks that were kindly donated by Tin Basher (well, the 14 that have survived my lack of attention) into a more suitable bed. Just hoping they survive the transplant, apparently they don't mind the winter.

Had a lucky find as well. One of the weeds looked suspiciously like a potato plant. It was in the area I had my spuds last year, so dug it out carefully and out came 4 huge spuds (smiles, if I remember correctly).

Final job of the day was to uproot my onions (electric reds). Out of the ones I planted I got a few huge ones (bigger than what you'd get in Tesco's) and a good batch of small ones, that will go well in salads and stuff.

Hoping to get a few more hours down there next week whilst on leave.

I've also got a load of seed spuds that I didn't get around to planting. Does anyone think it would be OK to stick them in now (as they won't last until next year)? My thinking is use 'em and you may get something... bin them and you definitely won't!

HTB

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
got a load of seed spuds that I didn't get around to planting. Does anyone think it would be OK to stick them in now (as they won't last until next year)? My thinking is use 'em and you may get something... bin them and you definitely won't! HTB

No chance of them getting to a cropping state this late in the year Harry. Best bet, eat them at least you'll get something out of them that way.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Autumnal musings

Autumnal musings

Visited the plot today (Sunday) and didn't take a single gardening implement. I just looked at autumn coming slowly, like a well worn blanket, over all the plots on our site. Over there on a plot some beans still clinging to the support poles foliage all green but the pods all dry and brown, some where else sweet corn stems still vertical yet bedraggled seemingly covered in badly ripped pale yellow carrier bags, potatoe haulms all brown and lifeless yet with promises of goodness underground. Mina's tomatoes all bright red and ripe, Harry's tyres empty and ready for next year spuds, Paula's dahlias still in full bloom so late in the year, a plot covered in weeds all viewed from the comfort of the lottie bench. Yesterday though had been a very full day having set the plot up last year I realised during the summer that it could be laid out better so Saturday was the big re-org day. This involved moving raised beds around, copious amounts of digging, shifting piles of soil, moving toolboxs, relaying paths and generally getting some good healthy outdoor exercise. As a result of getting a decent glow on there was need in the evening to restore my body fluid inbalance and re-estabish my low carbohydrate levels, thank heavens for the British pub. Friends and family got a mixed bag of parsnips, leeks, beetroot and a few late spring? onions the products of the big re-org. I kept all the undersized and comedy veg that would once have graced ester's that's life or a similar TV show and made what I consider my best random veg soup yet. Random veg soup is becoming a favourite as it has no fixed recipe simply made from what is available so can vary with my mood. July's variation is quite nice. But yesterdays was darn good. Todays visit was about planning for next year, contemplating and evaluating this years efforts, chatting to others, but mainly just spending an hour or so in the company of mother nature. The leaves are a riot of oranges, deep meaningful reds and vibrant yellows. The drive to the plot is visually quite dramatic at this time of year yet the growing year is slowing down. Time for a comfy chair and a gentlemans serving of a decent single malt

G

grumpyoldb

Visited the plot today (Sunday) and didn't take a single gardening implement. I just looked at autumn coming slowly, like a well worn blanket, over all the plots on our site. Over there on a plot some beans still clinging to the support poles foliage all green but the pods all dry and brown, some where else sweet corn stems still vertical yet bedraggled seemingly covered in badly ripped pale yellow carrier bags, potatoe haulms all brown and lifeless yet with promises of goodness underground. Mina's tomatoes all bright red and ripe, Harry's tyres empty and ready for next year spuds, Paula's dahlias still in full bloom so late in the year, a plot covered in weeds all viewed from the comfort of the lottie bench. Yesterday though had been a very full day having set the plot up last year I realised during the summer that it could be laid out better so Saturday was the big re-org day. This involved moving raised beds around, copious amounts of digging, shifting piles of soil, moving toolboxs, relaying paths and generally getting some good healthy outdoor exercise. As a result of getting a decent glow on there was need in the evening to restore my body fluid inbalance and re-estabish my low carbohydrate levels, thank heavens for the British pub. Friends and family got a mixed bag of parsnips, leeks, beetroot and a few late spring? onions the products of the big re-org. I kept all the undersized and comedy veg that would once have graced ester's that's life or a similar TV show and made what I consider my best random veg soup yet. Random veg soup is becoming a favourite as it has no fixed recipe simply made from what is available so can vary with my mood. July's variation is quite nice. But yesterdays was darn good. Todays visit was about planning for next year, contemplating and evaluating this years efforts, chatting to others, but mainly just spending an hour or so in the company of mother nature. The leaves are a riot of oranges, deep meaningful reds and vibrant yellows. The drive to the plot is visually quite dramatic at this time of year yet the growing year is slowing down. Time for a comfy chair and a gentlemans serving of a decent single malt

I tell you what, mate, you could put Jilly Goulden out of a job if you ever decide to start describing wine tastes..........................! :pDT_Xtremez_42: :pDT_Xtremez_31::pDT_Xtremez_31:

S92

LAC
Allotments 2010

Ah, the season of mellow fruitfulness! Down the plot yesterday. Too wet to dig so spent a couple of hours sorting out my strawberry patch for next years crop. Had potted up a lot of runners from existing plants so planted them out. Then weeded around my leeks. Then came the best bit. Picked curly kale, a sweetheart cabbage and dug up some more of my main crop pots. Unfortunately I don't grow piggies so had to resort to a well known Supermarket for a piece of pork. Sunday dinner was Pork, curly kale,cabbage, roast potatoes,and carrots(only thing not mine). And the taste? Wow!
My sprouts are now growing well and I've planted out cabbage for the Spring.:pDT_Xtremez_09:

G

grumpyoldb

I have 50 celery plants growing, (and I gave 50 away)! Looks like celery soup for the winter............ :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just down loaded these off the camera the kids pumpkin before and after carving

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Reading this thread and living in a flat makes me want to put my name down for an allotment. It appears relaxing and somewhere to disappear to and forget life for a few hours. How many hours a week would I be looking to put in.

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Reading this thread and living in a flat makes me want to put my name down for an allotment. It appears relaxing and somewhere to disappear to and forget life for a few hours. How many hours a week would I be looking to put in.

It all depends how much produce you want and how much time you can spare.

My plot gets about one visit a month and I spend most of that couple of hours pulling up weeds! However a bit of planning can make a difference.

Also some vegetables are pretty much plant and forget... such as spuds!

Others need constant attention to get even a small amount of produce!

The biggest issue you will face though... a waiting list!

I've heard of people waiting upwards of 15 years!:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Allotment plots tend to be owned until the occupant dies... so it can be very much 'Dead - Man's shoes'. I only got mine because we decided to start a society on camp.

If you're interested you could try looking on the internet. I can't remember the site but it was featured on Hugh Fearnley Whitingstall's river cottage series. It was a sort of Land- Swap system where people with huge gardens would let others have a plot on it... just so it isn't left to go overgrown.

Best of luck and don't be afraid to ask for advice. I'm rubbish but loads of others can help you!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

HTB

Hot Shoes

Corporal
If you're interested you could try looking on the internet. I can't remember the site but it was featured on Hugh Fearnley Whitingstall's river cottage series. It was a sort of Land- Swap system where people with huge gardens would let others have a plot on it... just so it isn't left to go overgrown.

The site you refer to is http://www.landshare.net/ pretty good actually for finding land, at least in these parts.

As for the time question, I would suggest this time of year very little, early spring then 5-6 hours per week, during the growing season 3-4 hrs per week just keeping on top of it; well that's approx what I spend on mine. Some of the old boys at my site spend virtually all day every day down there, obviously the more time you have, usually the better the results

G

grumpyoldb

I've just been in my local netto and they are selling this years veg seeds at 17p a packet.
The packets are all in date 2010-2012. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Thanks for the heads up Grumps 17p miles better than £2+ garden centre prices.