• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alex Higgins Dead

G

gemarriott

wouldn't wish him dead but I never liked the arrogant prat, especially afyter he waltzed into the line hut on 23 and spouted "I expect you want my autograph" he was asked "and who are you?"

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
wouldn't wish him dead but I never liked the arrogant prat, especially afyter he waltzed into the line hut on 23 and spouted "I expect you want my autograph" he was asked "and who are you?"

^^^^^^^^Agreed!
I once had the unpleasant experience of being on the same BA flight as him from Manchester to Aldergrove. He tried giving it large to the flight attendant, she put him right. He kept the gob up all the way.

Still, I wouldn't wish the Big C on anyone, even if he didn't seem to be without a fag in his mouth.

At least the guy had made an impression.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
In the words of the song "Oh Yeh the boy could play" what a talent on the table what a prat off the table. Genius with a cue in his hand, total pillock with a bottle in his hand. He lived in the Accrington area for some years. Once came into my dads working mans club with a young dolly bird in tow obviously nissed as a pewt offered to play all comers for money lost three in a row and was thrown out for being abusive. Prize prat when sozzled. To quote dad "bumping weight that lad". But what a player

B

Bucc Boy

God rest his soul. He was mine, and many friends hero throughout my snooker playing youth. As others have mentioned, he obviously became 'star struck' and ‘troubled’, early in his life and basically couldn't handle it. Look at the support people like Robbie Williams get nowadays, and still they falter! Alex was as big (comparatively) in his day, but with zero support or advice.

I truly felt sorry for the man when he was alive, he could, with proper management, have had a magnificently rewarding and enjoyable life!

I can't say I feel a tremendous loss, however, the man has certainly influenced my life, given me inspiration as a young lad and left me in awe of his indisputable talent.

As with Oliver Reed and George Best, an iconic alcoholic has died. A victim of his own success, there is so much to be said for living a 'normal' life with a normal wife and kids.

RIP great man, faults and all.

Shugster

Warrant Officer
Had he been killed by a hurricane that would have been a fitting if not ironic end. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

They say you should never meet your heroes, he was human like the rest of us and just like the section idiot you get them everywhere.

Still, a snooker playing legend up there with Steve Davis, Ray Reardon etc.

(Time to dig out that copy of, "Snooker loopy", by Chas and Dave eh? :pDT_Xtremez_30:)

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
God rest his soul. He was mine, and many friends hero throughout my snooker playing youth. As others have mentioned, he obviously became 'star struck' and ‘troubled’, early in his life and basically couldn't handle it. Look at the support people like Robbie Williams get nowadays, and still they falter! Alex was as big (comparatively) in his day, but with zero support or advice.

I truly felt sorry for the man when he was alive, he could, with proper management, have had a magnificently rewarding and enjoyable life!

I can't say I feel a tremendous loss, however, the man has certainly influenced my life, given me inspiration as a young lad and left me in awe of his indisputable talent.

As with Oliver Reed and George Best, an iconic alcoholic has died. A victim of his own success, there is so much to be said for living a 'normal' life with a normal wife and kids.

RIP great man, faults and all.

I heartily agree. It was wonderful to watch him at the table.
RIP.

AlienFB

SAC
Very sad to see, the man was a genius on and baize.

But that said, he was a mess off it. Not want to wish the big C on anyone but he was a cert waiting to happen and is a lesson to us all.

RIP mate, I enjoyed to playing highs and always routed for ya.