• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aircraft mechanic Australia and general advise

230Tiger

Sergeant
Due to growth in our business, we're currently looking for Qualified Aircraft Mechanics to join us in our Sydney workshop assembling RTM322 and MTR390 helicopter engines.
Have a look at this link:
https://www.safran-helicopter-engines.com/job/bankstown-airport-nsw/aircraft-mechanic/80661

If you do not have current working rights or permanent residency status in Australia we are willing to sponsor the right candidate however you will have to strongly demonstrate exactly the right skills. Unfortunately though, due to current Australian government visa restrictions, we are only able to offer a two year visa.

As general advise:
I've been the hiring manager for a couple of years now for my company and have read hundreds of Resume's / CV's so i'd also like to offer some words of general advise for those writing resumes / CV's. I can't believe how little effort some people put in to applying for jobs and how really bad some resume's are.
For instance, I recently had a two page resume that basically just said "i have the right qualifications and have worked on some aircraft" and i'm only exaggerating very slightly on that! I had one from a guy who had been in aviation for 40 years and sent through a 1 page resume!

• Put some effort into your resume! If you can’t be bothered to spend some time on a resume to strongly sell yourself can I trust that you can be bothered to build my engine correctly?
  • HR departments and hiring managers read LOADS of resumes every day, make yours stand out or it will be passed over.
  • Read the advert and tailor you resume to the job that is being advertised. Know what job you are applying for! If you’re applying for aircraft mechanic role for instance don’t waffle on about how great you are in a quality role or the fact you have a degree in aircraft engineering or design.
  • Tell the hiring manager how your experience fits in with what they’re looking for. Give examples of work you have done, what you’ve worked on and anything you have achieved. Don’t just copy/paste your job description, I’m not interested in what you should have been doing I want to know what you have done!
  • If you are looking for a job overseas tell the hiring manager what qualification you think fits with the qualifications they are looking for (we look for a Cert. 4 in Aeroskills (Mechanical), which is the Australian qualification after completing a recognised 4 year apprenticeship). You may have to do some work yourself in finding out what the equivalent is or simply send an email to the HR department for the firm you are applying to for more information.
  • Do some research on the company you are applying to. Depending on the job this doesn’t have to be too deep but you should know what they do (and specifically at that site if they are a subsidiary of a larger company), what type of aircraft / engines they work on etc.
  • Don’t leave gaps in your job timeline. If you do get an interview (and I have rejected resumes from people who have big gaps in their timeline) I am going to ask you about it anyway, so put it in there. Even if you took a couple of years off to, say, trek the Himalayas, put it in there, it may get you an interview because it’s unusual.
  • Don't use Military acronyms and jargon! Civilian HR and hiring managers will have no idea what you're talking about. I recently had a resume from an ex-RN applicant who said he was "5.56mm qualified", how is that even relevant in civvie street and whoopee, everyone in the military is 5.56mm qualified!
Remember, even a good resume / CV will only get you an interview. The interview is where you need to sell yourself; come prepared, be confident, be on time and try to relax. From your resume the interviewer knows that you have the right qualifications, they are trying to judge whether you have the right experience, are the right person for the role and whether you will fit into their team.

Hope this helps. Have a look at the Safran website, we also have roles in other departments and divisions as well

foxOneFive

Corporal
Are you TRYING to find the right person for the job or TRYING to find someone who can write a fantastic resume?

Be honest, thought the same. If I was game on and younger doubt I'd even bother to reply. Over the years I've known some techies who are the best but struggle to spell their own name (classic HR bull..ite) as usual. Doubt the OP has ever seen a spanner

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Would I work for someone who monitors resumes, yet doesn't know the difference between when to stipulate 'advise' and 'advice...?'

I don't get the logic of the poster. Advertising for mechanics and then pretty much slating the target audience with lots of "advise".

On the other hand, maybe a job in Oz could be a tempting opportunity for some.

230Tiger

Sergeant
Are you TRYING to find the right person for the job or TRYING to find someone who can write a fantastic resume?
I'm trying to find the right person but for them to even get through the door for an interview they need to spend some time writing a CV that best describes them and their abilities. HR departments and hiring managers don't know the person or what they are capable of, they only have a persons CV to reference to decide if they are a good fit for the role and if they should bring them in for an interview.

230Tiger

Sergeant
Be honest, thought the same. If I was game on and younger doubt I'd even bother to reply. Over the years I've known some techies who are the best but struggle to spell their own name (classic HR bull..ite) as usual. Doubt the OP has ever seen a spanner
Well nobody is forcing you to apply! I'm just offering a job and giving some adviSe to help others.
That's the problem, you knew these people and what they were capable of. Imagine that you receive a CV (amongst the tens if you're the hiring manager or hundreds if you're HR) you received that week from someone you don't know and it's obvious that they only spent 10 minutes throwing together a generic CV with loads of spelling and grammatical mistakes (i look over the odd spelling/grammatical mistake, we all do that!) and didn't clearly explain what they did in their career but included the phrase "i have great attention to detail", be honest with yourself, would you think "wow, this person is worth an interview i bet they're great"?
By the way, i've been an aircraft mechanic/technician for 36 years, 23 of them in the RAF, so, yes, i do know what a bl00dy spanner looks like!

230Tiger

Sergeant
I don't get the logic of the poster. Advertising for mechanics and then pretty much slating the target audience with lots of "advise".

On the other hand, maybe a job in Oz could be a tempting opportunity for some.
I was conveying the frustrations of someone trying to hire people by showing examples of some of the bad CV's i get (i do get some very good CV's and they are invariably invited in for an interview as they're CV tells me the basics of what i need to know) and offering some general advise for people applying for jobs to give them the best chance of securing an interview, not just with our company but with any company.
Nobody is forcing you to take that my advise, please feel free to get rejection letters/calls

230Tiger

Sergeant
A good HR department would be talking to the hiring manager (who would know exactly what they need) about what basics they need to be looking for in CV's. They then filter out the people who do not have the correct qualifications for instance (if certain qualifications are required (which will be stated in the job advert!)) and pass on the rest to the hiring manager to review. If HR are unsure about a CV they will ask the hiring manager.
This is my point about reading the advert and tailoring your CV to it to address the points and qualifications required, you will then have a much better chance of getting through the HR vetting process. Remember HR departments sometimes get hundreds of CV's a week, yours isn't the only one so make it stand out.
Just to clarify something, Recruitment Agencies are NOT the same as the companies HR department! Recruitment agencies are a third party company and typically do not interact with the hiring manager.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I was conveying the frustrations of someone trying to hire people by showing examples of some of the bad CV's i get (i do get some very good CV's and they are invariably invited in for an interview as they're CV tells me the basics of what i need to know) and offering some general advise for people applying for jobs to give them the best chance of securing an interview, not just with our company but with any company.
Nobody is forcing you to take that my advise, please feel free to get rejection letters/calls
Thanks for the advise.🤙🏻

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm trying to find the right person but for them to even get through the door for an interview they need to spend some time writing a CV that best describes them and their abilities. HR departments and hiring managers don't know the person or what they are capable of, they only have a persons CV to reference to decide if they are a good fit for the role and if they should bring them in for an interview.
And on the converse side, HR depts don't necessarily know what the job entails, they ask the current incumbent what quals they've got and assume that's what's needed.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
The original poster is trying to tell you how it is, your CV gets you past the first shift, if you’re lucky, this sift will be carried out by either a computer or a low level administrator working in a transactional part of the business, both are just looking for keywords set by the Hiring Manager, or if the organisation is large enough the appropriate function. They will have at least a hundred applications, and of these at least half, to three quarters, will have no relevance to the job posted.

The computer and the administrator are just looking for any reason to reject the CV, to get the pile down to a manageable size for the Hiring Manager or Panel to consider, the real HR people and Hiring Managers do not have the time to do this sift, nobody does. Good people, those that could do the job, will be sifted out at this stage if the CV isn’t an easy sift, and nobody really cares about this because enough people who can do the job will be put in front of the Hiring Manager to achieve recruitment success.

By the way nobody wants to know if you like reading, going to the cinema or walking the dogs, and your GCSEs are pretty redundant once you get to 30, especially if they weren’t that good.

230Tiger

Sergeant
The original poster is trying to tell you how it is, your CV gets you past the first shift, if you’re lucky, this sift will be carried out by either a computer or a low level administrator working in a transactional part of the business, both are just looking for keywords set by the Hiring Manager, or if the organisation is large enough the appropriate function. They will have at least a hundred applications, and of these at least half, to three quarters, will have no relevance to the job posted.

The computer and the administrator are just looking for any reason to reject the CV, to get the pile down to a manageable size for the Hiring Manager or Panel to consider, the real HR people and Hiring Managers do not have the time to do this sift, nobody does. Good people, those that could do the job, will be sifted out at this stage if the CV isn’t an easy sift, and nobody really cares about this because enough people who can do the job will be put in front of the Hiring Manager to achieve recruitment success.

By the way nobody wants to know if you like reading, going to the cinema or walking the dogs, and your GCSEs are pretty redundant once you get to 30, especially if they weren’t that good.
Thank you busby1971, spot on.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
And that ladies and gents is why HR fails............................. :-D
If someone joins the company, fills the vacancy, and can do the job, the only failure is those who could do the job but don’t get it, because they couldn’t prove their suitability.